2016 Concours

Logo

2016 Concours

This is a discussion on 2016 Concours within the Concours 1400 forums, part of the Kawasaki Concours category; I am really curious about the upcoming possibility of more improvements. With Kawasaki this could go anywhere, and therefore I did not include "14" in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 2016 Concours

Cool 2016 Concours

I am really curious about the upcoming possibility of more improvements. With Kawasaki this could go anywhere, and therefore I did not include "14" in the thread title.

If a rumor is out there, post it with a link.
    2012 Concours 14 | 2017 690 Enduro R
    AMA & IBA (SS1000) member
    2008 Z1000 (another bike I should not have sold)

They won't do a thing other than color. They sell a lot of them, and it has a low price for its class. They can't beat bmw with the platform, so keep it as is.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Keeping an eye on this thread how about cruise control!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

Forget the K1600, BMW can duke it out with the Goldwing.

I believe there is wiggle room for improvements or change of configuration. For instance, a ZX-14 headlight set-up dumping the antiquated ZX-12 look. Or, the H2's gear-driven powerplant with shaft drive - weight would be reduced and performance (acceleration and handling) would improve. Cruise control is a given. So, I don't believe these sort of tweaks are out of possibility.

Then again, as mentioned, why change what works. They've done it before and are currently with the KLR.

I remain optimistic!

Here is also whats cool about their plan of nothing until the molds wear out. It is a good bike. No significant technology is out there that improves the motor, electronics, chassis or suspension. For sure, gadgets, but nothing thats "better".

My headlights were good at 140mph at midnight. If they touch them, I'll get angry.

So, my 08 concours is still relevant. A 2010 is current.

If the choice is

1..They do the improvements and charge me 20k or

2..Charge me 15k, and leave the 5000 for me to buy my own suspension and accessories

I'll take 2 every time. Option 2 makes it mine. Quality pieces (ohlins) coming on a stock bike are still factory settings and just wont compare with personal settings.

I finally realized what this bike is meant and designed for on the night I lost my wallet and ended up keeping it above 120 for three hours. At this speed, the windshield, suspension and chassis started to work

If you read about its 08 European introduction, it was never intended for the us market. Kawasaki brought it in after the fjr showed to be a sales success. What that meant is it was set up for much higher speeds, while carrying a passenger. Never quite right for our riding conditions here.

I do think they would see more happy owners if they dialed in in some and softened it up. Not as if its perfect now, its not, but Its fixable by me.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Agree that the current model is fundamentally really good with regards to the frame and engine. I do give Kawasaki credit for their approach to the C14 and other street bikes. Specifically, frames and engines are good out of the crate. They continually contain costs with budget suspension and to a lesser degree (per bike) OEM tires. This leaves buyers who know what they want in suspension performance, the option of tailoring as desired. Here is an example of the opposite approach. The Triumph 800 XCX where the frame, sub-frame, and passenger peg mountings are welded to one piece, then they have it fitted with WP suspension.

The C14 suspension worked for my right from the git-go. I was and still am satisfied, and found no need to modify like I did with my Z1000, 750turbo, and KLX-650. The suspension on the GPz550 worked well enough to race with MRRA.

So, the 2016 Concours could have some nice enhancements and styling changes without adding cost other than the typical yearly MSRP increase. Price should not be too much of a burden since dealers rarely sell at MSRP. I suspect the BMW guys do pay darn-near MSRP.

Whats the one, or two things that would make you go get one? If i found out a new one had 40 extra hp, with the zx14 motor, I'd do it. Thats all it would take. If it came in at 180hp, it would make headlines like the h2. If you read the c14 forum, those guys like electronics, but they were talking ecu reflash, exhaust and hp gains as bad, or worse than the ninja 1000 guys.

Modern suspension is set by the legal department. Test riders are great, and always have been. They know the settings that we need, but...If you talk to the guys who test, they always get upset about this. Or, the factory will durability test a certain shim stack and it wont last long enough, so it gets changed.

They are afraid of suits due to bikes being unstable, so rear shocks get soft and forks get stiff to avoid this. You feel it with the z 100, ninja 1000, concours 14 and pretty much any other full size bike. Notice honda special cbr100rr..first step, eliminate passenger.....

Electronics can help this, somewhat, but not really with the spring rate. Unless we stop suing them, we are screwed.

The Yamaha FJR ES is beating it in all the shootouts and only cost a few hundred more.

I moved on because the trophy offered better 2 up comfort.

At the prices you can by leftover new Concours, 2014 for 10900, it is hard to by current year. Also, at that price you can competitively turn it into the bike you want.
    motocopter likes this.
    Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.

Situational awareness combined with skill is what keeps you out of harm's way.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

Cool

So some style change that involves updating the headlight (I know you like its effectiveness at night). The headlight on a bike can give it an attitude, and I believe the Concours should have one too. Massaging the windscreen shape more towards the sporting crowd, losing some weight (maybe not possible), built-in cruise control (mine has a Rostra that gets used quite a bit), and maybe a 6 gallon fuel tank. Those would do it. Oh, and a clear coat over the paint! (I added 3M paint protection the first week in select locations). Just some examples.

I've had my Concours just about three and a half years now (35k miles) and the right changes could get me to spring for a new bike. The 2015 was not enough change and that green blaze paint doesn't do it for me on the Concours. I do like the color on the ZX-14R. Something about the color debut on the '12 14R that made the bike badass.

Now, if there were some over-the-top generation change such as using the H2 engine in the current frame (I like the size and roominess of the bike) thereby giving room for more fuel, that would be a hoot! Probably very unlikely though.

Guess, I have more self-influencing points on the topic.
    GreenMachineGuy likes this.

Another way it could go is to decide what its supposed to be. Not sport as th ezx14 covers that, so, how about making it more high mileage capable?

When twowheeladdict says "I moved on because the trophy offered better 2 up comfort." Thats crazy, and 100% true, and should not be.

I like it for what it is. It is made for ultra high speed, two up riding.

With that out of the way, something is wrong when I could promise a concours 14 engine, in a versys 1000 chassis, would be more comfortable for the rider and passenger.

If thats true, and I think it is, is the basic package off enough its not especially worth investing in?

Two changes would make it a new model year must-have for me:

1. Shave a little weight
    2. Factory cruise

But with model year closeouts cutting up to 5g's with a 3 year warranty, as-is is hard to beat. I can't believe more power is needed. I really want to put cruise and bags on a ZX14 and go.

All twa is saying is, "I'm getting old." JK! The Trophy is a different class bike chassis-wise. C14 doesn't play with the trans-Atlantic bikes anymore.
    Last edited by DaddyFlip; 07-14-15 at 07:37 PM.
    motocopter likes this.
    2001 ZR-7s (ZR750H1).....R.... "Ol' Red"
    1995 FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide "Grunt Pig DhaWG"

Honest, the candy green made me want a new one...flaws and all.
    twowheeladdict and DaddyFlip like this.

Unhappy

Oh, and it looks like the Concours needs to be able to run on E15 fuels that are about to jammed down our tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFlip View Post

All twa is saying is, "I'm getting old." JK! The Trophy is a different class bike chassis-wise. C14 doesn't play with the trans-Atlantic bikes anymore.
    LOL! I am hoping my wife will ride on the back of the Trophy so I can part with the Voyager. She loves the Voyager though. Loves the way it looks, sounds, and rides.

IMO; Kawasaki sacrificed handling in the curves in favor of straight line high speed stability with the Concours. Nothing wrong with that unless you spend most of your riding in the curves. Blasting down I-10 at comfortable speeds in 50 degree weather was not a problem for the Concours.

Kawasaki needs to look at the competition and go back to being the leader instead of the "good enough for the cheap buyer" mentality they have gotten into. A guy on the ZGGTR forum picked up a '13 with 130 miles and $1k in extras for $9k. That is just crazy. I guess I should consider myself lucky to recoup $7500 out of my '12 with 30,000 miles on it.

Seems like they focus on sport bikes and now the adventure bike categories more than the rest. The cruiser line is shrinking even though they introduced the Vulcan S based on the Ninja/Versys engine. They have fallen to the bottom in the Sport touring lineup. I think the new '15 Versys is a hit for them based on the new members showing up daily on the Versys forum.

Let's see, what does the Triumph Trophy offer that the Concours doesn't.
    - Runs on regular fuel
    - Will average over 50 mpg
    - Electronic Cruise Control
    - Electronically Adjustable Suspension
    - Bluetooth Audio System with USB input so you don't need to buy an MP3 player.
    - 4 12v accessory outlets
    - Height adjustable rider's seat
    - Electronically adjustable headlights
    - Came with Pirelli Angel GT tires
    - Single sided swingarm
    - Larger Fuel Tank
    - You can keep the bags unlocked if you want
    - Bike weighs 20 lbs less
    - Optional Factory Trunk keyed the same as the bike (triumph threw mine in with the deal)
    - Available Factory Heated Seats

All that, and a 2 year newer Triumph Trophy only cost me $2k more than the screaming deal I got on my '12

What does the Concours offer that the Triumph Trophy doesn't.
    - 30 more horsepower.
    - KiPass Key Fob
    -
    Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.

Situational awareness combined with skill is what keeps you out of harm's way.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

One thing that would stop me on a sport tourer is dealer support. If I leave Salt Lake City, and its one dealer, it will be awhile before I see a Triumph dealer.

If I want electronics, the modern Goldwings have good power (excellent engine) and great handling.

I'm not sure 20lbs on 650lb total is ...well, even on Biggest Loser it wouldn't get you into first place.

If you look at the fjr, Yamaha pretty much improved its suspension. It went from last to first, or up there anyway. That shows how this entire class needs a kick in the butt.

BMW set the bar so high, it will be difficult, if not impossible to improve upon it. It feels lighter than anything else, and has it all. It redefined the class.
    Last edited by rcannon409; 07-15-15 at 06:38 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links