Thinking about a Concours 1400 - Page 4

Logo

Thinking about a Concours 1400

This is a discussion on Thinking about a Concours 1400 within the Concours 1400 forums, part of the Kawasaki Concours category; I will say I had a good 300 mile round trip via highway and interstate to go look at bikes. C14 cruises easily at 80mph ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thinking about a Concours 1400

I will say I had a good 300 mile round trip via highway and interstate to go look at bikes. C14 cruises easily at 80mph and is totally confidence inspiring and comfortable. At my height (6-3), though, I get tired of the OE windscreen. The air is funneled right to the base of my helmet and it's just loud. No buffeting or pressure; just noise. I took a test ride this morning without no screen at all and it was perfect. Zero wind blast or turbulence and totally clean air. This convinced me that if I keep the C14 I will be cutting down an OE screen and/or ordering one of those Copper Dawg screens.

And I got 46mpg on the trip.
    2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFlip View Post
    I will say I had a good 300 mile round trip via highway and interstate to go look at bikes. C14 cruises easily at 80mph and is totally confidence inspiring and comfortable. At my height (6-3), though, I get tired of the OE windscreen. The air is funneled right to the base of my helmet and it's just loud. No buffeting or pressure; just noise. I took a test ride this morning without no screen at all and it was perfect. Zero wind blast or turbulence and totally clean air. This convinced me that if I keep the C14 I will be cutting down an OE screen and/or ordering one of those Copper Dawg screens.

And I got 46mpg on the trip.
    I have a zx14r. I don't agree with these guys perception of speed at all that doing 80 feels slow or whatever. Concours seems like it would be a great bike to cruise interstates on. Yes, a Concours or 14 will cruise at I don't know, whatever 1xx speeds all day long. But they are still just motorcycles. Granted, 80 on one isn't like being on a 250 doing 80. I can see and agree with that. But from say a Ninja 1000 or something? I really can't see someone saying there's some huge difference between a 14 and N1000 doing 80 on the intestate. It's something in their heads they've all convinced themselves and each other of.

I think there is. There is a sensation of speed that's missing on the C14 (I can't say on the ZX14... yet). Because it's heavy and over-faired? I don't know. The best way I can describe it is 80 on the C14 feels like 60 in my Taurus with the window rolled down. It really is that sedate when it has reached cruising speed. I can comfortably stand up on the pegs at that speed, not that I recommend it or endorse the practice. It is just a different sensation. And it's probably a very subjective feeling - kinda like taste buds. I would be willing to bet the 1000 is more fun/thrilling to ride at 80 because the sensation/awareness of speed is greater... less fairing, less windscreen, 200 pounds lighter, etc.
    2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

I think there is. There is a sensation of speed that's missing on the C14 (I can't say on the ZX14... yet). Because it's heavy and over-faired? I don't know. The best way I can describe it is 80 on the C14 feels like 60 in my Taurus with the window rolled down. It really is that sedate when it has reached cruising speed. I can comfortably stand up on the pegs at that speed, not that I recommend it or endorse the practice. It is just a different sensation. And it's probably a very subjective feeling - kinda like taste buds. I would be willing to bet the 1000 is more fun/thrilling to ride at 80 because the sensation/awareness of speed is greater... less fairing, less windscreen, 200 pounds lighter, etc.
    N1000 200 lbs lighter? 80 lbs in OE configuration. Less fairing? doubtful especially if someone adjust the N1000 screen up. On a 14R, the fairing isn't there for you, it's there for you to tuck in and under.

My only other bike was a liter bike, very much the N1000 of it's times (not quite as fast, 10.9 vs. 10.5 in the 1/4, about the same top speed) and I don't know, it's really not much different other my 14 being much quicker and higher top speed. In fact, my old bike had a much more functional fairing than my 14. Even with a slightly higher windscreen, the fairing on my 14 blocks about 1/2 the air flow of my old bike. I suppose that's one reason I could not wear a helmet back in the day and arrive somewhere not splattered in bugs. If I do that on my 14 I'll have bugs all over me and my face getting all contorted like jeremy clarkson in a ariel atom.

At any rate, if you are seriously considering a 14R you are in for a real treat. It is all that it's hyped up to be and then some. Refined, comfortable, rocket fast, handles well (get some 55 after the OE tires, even some guys are going to 190/60s or 200/55s if you're tall enough), awesome brakes, good suspension. She's a bike you can take to the grand ball, then turn into a wild child and rip her dress off at the after party. Truly a Jekyll and Hyde.

Vic, its an odd sensation on the c14. With a good windshield, theres little/no wind blast or noise. You know the motor, theres no vibration to speak of. Its big and heavy and does not get knocked off track. Its fairing is 6inwider than my ninja, and 80 on one bike does not feel like 80 on the other.

The most terrifying top speed run Ive ever made way on my yz 250 dirt bike. I hit a gps verified 74mph, and it was scary.

That is funny you mention fairing protection. Where did that go? My ninja is nowhere near as good as something like your old vfr.
    twowheeladdict likes this.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

@Vic... for the record, I was comparing the OE weight of the N1k (509 lbs) to the OE weight of the C14 (690 lbs). That's a difference of 191 lbs; very nearly 200 lbs., which has a major effect on how much of the road you experience. The faired frontal area of the C14 dwarfs that of the N1k; there is no comparison. The OE windscreen on a C14 is twice as wide as that on the N1k and twice as tall as that on the ZX14. In addition, the mirrors on a C14 deflect wind from the hands and arms that the N1k and ZX14 do not. It has an impact on how much of the wind you experience. As speed increases, the C14 engine is just coming into its comfort zone and actually gets smoother and quieter as speed gets in the 80-100mph range. It's backwards from everything else. It's like the Concorde or SR-71 Blackbird; planes that are designed to fly supersonic are built so their body panels expand. Regular planes would blow apart.

You are right that the difference in the N1k and ZX14 is closer to 80 lbs. So we might say that the C14 is not a rebranded/repackaged ZX14. But again, FTR, I am considering one.
    Last edited by DaddyFlip; 09-18-16 at 03:13 PM.
    2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

Vic needs to try a C14. I found myself constantly going way above the speedlimit. The bike is just dialed in for high speed riding. I'm a conservative rider and found myself doing over 100 mph on I-10 in TX. I wanted to add cruise control so I didn't have to constantly look at the Speedo.
    Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.

Situational awareness combined with skill is what keeps you out of harm's way.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

@Vic... for the record, I was comparing the OE weight of the N1k (509 lbs) to the OE weight of the C14 (690 lbs). That's a difference of 191 lbs; very nearly 200 lbs., which has a major effect on how much of the road you experience. The faired frontal area of the C14 dwarfs that of the N1k; there is no comparison. The OE windscreen on a C14 is twice as wide as that on the N1k and twice as tall as that on the ZX14. In addition, the mirrors on a C14 deflect wind from the hands and arms that the N1k and ZX14 do not. It has an impact on how much of the wind you experience. As speed increases, the C14 engine is just coming into its comfort zone and actually gets smoother and quieter as speed gets in the 80-100mph range. It's backwards from everything else. It's like the Concorde or SR-71 Blackbird; planes that are designed to fly supersonic are built so their body panels expand. Regular planes would blow apart.

You are right that the difference in the N1k and ZX14 is closer to 80 lbs. So we might say that the C14 is not a rebranded/repackaged ZX14. But again, FTR, I am considering one.
    Thanks DF I realized that today but thought too late for an edit.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
    Vic needs to try a C14. I found myself constantly going way above the speedlimit. The bike is just dialed in for high speed riding. I'm a conservative rider and found myself doing over 100 mph on I-10 in TX. I wanted to add cruise control so I didn't have to constantly look at the Speedo.
    I know what you guys mean. But what I'm telling you is it's in your head. I've dialed back my riding habits for a few reasons. At points in how I had been riding, 80 mph seemed like it was 35 mph. Now that I'm basically limitiing myself to around the speed limits, I'm finding 80 mph seeming like 150mph did seem like. That's how i know it's in a person's head (i.e. a perception) not some actual shifts in physics being on a Concours 14 (or whatever bike).

Go out and ride your Concours on back roads at 35-45 for a couple hours. Get back on the Interstate. I guarantee you will feel like you're going 150.

Heh, heh, heh. I wager there's not a C14 owner/operator who will agree with you. And it is a dimensional time shift that causes it, brought on by the mad powah of KiPASS!

It's not a relative sensation, like how you feel walking into an air conditioned room after being out in the heat and humidity all day, versus just being in that room all day long. It's specific and inherent to the C14. Wait, I know... It's a Connie thing; you wouldn't understand.
    2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"

I know what you are trying to say Vic, but I am telling you from experience, and a history of many bikes.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

Everyone says what you guys are saying about zx's too. "I test rode a 14 today, got on the interestate and was buzzing along looked down and i was doing 120."

What causees this illusion are two things. One is how quiet the stock exhaust is. Two is most people are used to I4s running in the 5k range at 80 mph. Not on a 14 though, that's 4300 rpm. So yeah, it's no real wonder someone might be looking at the tach and listening for queues to realize they're doing 100 mph at 5500 rpms (not sure how exact this is, probably fairly close).
    Last edited by Vic.Thing; 09-18-16 at 09:29 PM.

Vic, all of that you mention contributes. Much like doing 80 in my mazda 3 as opposed to 80 in my wifes lexus. 80 is 80, but one car feels like you'd better stay aware, the other lets you look under the seat for the missing mustard packet. A detached feeling.

I think thats why we see so much texting and driving. New cars are so quiet and smooth.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Not an illusion, it is a perception.

The perception of speed is not there. Riding the Concours at the speed limit feels like you are crawling. It is boring because the bike is that good.

Contrast that with my Moto Guzzi V7 which is challenging at the speed limit and exhilarating attempting the ton.

AND, now that auto emergency braking and proximity warnings are going to be more and more common, peoples attention and driving awareness is only going to get WORSE.
    Lowoctane likes this.
    Blue ZR7 with...color matched swing arm, heel plates, bar end mirrors, passenger pegs, F&R blinkers with smoked lens, oil cooler with mesh, carbon fibered side covers with mesh, custom made chin fairing, along with a tail trim, LED underbody lighting, Yoshimura RS3 muffler, Corbin seat, F15 windshield, 17t front sprocket, oil temp gauge, rim tape, custom grips, front spring preload adjusters, different handlebars with risers, Ivans jet kit with air box mod and snorkel removal and AIS removal.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links