Thinking about a Concours 1400 - Page 2

Logo

Thinking about a Concours 1400

This is a discussion on Thinking about a Concours 1400 within the Concours 1400 forums, part of the Kawasaki Concours category; You take an engine designed for 200hp, define it to 130-140. Yes, I am with you reliable as a pet rock. Barely broken in at ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Thinking about a Concours 1400

You take an engine designed for 200hp, define it to 130-140. Yes, I am with you reliable as a pet rock. Barely broken in at 30k
    Rasmith likes this.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

I lurk from time to time but don't post much.

I have a 2012 C14--I love it.

My only (and its a big one) regret is that I looked and looked for months to find a clean used 2010+ model and couldn't, so I bought one brand new.

Of course, immediately after I did, awesome one owner bikes with less miles than I put on mine in 6 months popped up--for 1/2 what I paid. Oh well, we all can't just sell used stuff back and forth to each other... somebody has to buy new.

Quote Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
    The sound of the concours is far more pleasing than the Honda.
    Even More so when you swap with a ZX14R Full stocker
    2012 Concours14 Candy Arabian Red

Where's Rasmith?

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...a53063774d60dc

Works best with Google Chrome or Firefox

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

For me, this bike needs to be QUIET. Theres nothing like rolling along side someoen, at 140, and having them shocked that you are there. I'll skip the extra 10 hp, for that!
    gantt likes this.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    You take an engine designed for 200hp, define it to 130-140. I am with you reliable as a pet rock. Barely broken in at 30k
    Add to that, variable timing. Don't want it in track applications but for the gambit of experience related to C14 owners its a plus. I'm not particularly Keen on linking the brakes but for the same reason, I get it on the marketing aspect. Pain when you want to trail brake. People on Non-like bikes (streaks) have a hard time following me because of the difference in how this bike compares in cornering profiles. I will say that if I could split the difference in HP at the back wheel that my old streak had compared to the my C14, the C14 would by sucking the Streaks exhaust in most cases.
    I could throw the Streak into a corner at a much higher speed profile than I could think of doing with the C14.
    Last edited by Rasmith; 02-15-15 at 08:03 PM.

Where's Rasmith?

Well I got to ride one yesterday. A buddy who lives out of town was passing through and we hooked up.

He has a 2010 Connie and 2 other bikes. He now owns my old 2011 N1k and recently bought a like new 2013 Gixxer 750.

So he rode my FZ09 and I hopped on his Connie. Did about 30 miles on hiway 33 which is our local moto GP mountain road.

Must say I was very impressed how well it handled being almost a 700 pound monster. Its a very smooth machine.

A couple of things I did not like: 1. The linked brakes. For this reason will be considering the 08 and 09 models.
    2. The foot pegs seemed a little high. Made me feel slightly cramped and I am not a tall guy at 5'9"
    3. Also I can see why guys put on bar extensions. I had to sit up near the tank to be upright and not hunched forward.

It is a lot of bang for the buck to be sure.

The seating position can be dealt with. The bike has been around , so long, there are all kinds of peg lowers, risers, whatever you want.

I think they had to link the brakes. The 08 and 09 models will brake so hard it was not well suited for peopel who were not fairly serious....I dont know, really....it sucks.

The seating position is perfect.....but you wont realize that until 130. Thats the problem with the bikes nature. It was set up and designed for speeds way higher than we can legally deal with. At high speeds, seating position, wind protection, etc...it feels like that lightbulb going off in your brain and you think OH, thats it...I suspect that when we might appreciate linked brakes? There has to be something great about the concept. Yamahas new r1 is using linked brakes????

There are so many aftermarket parts for it, you can change any seating issues you find.

The 08 and 09 have a short, stock windshield that is nto great. The 9 and 10 shield bolts right on. Still, the aftermarket has this well covered.

Cool

Good, accurate points for sure. I have wedges and the Kawasaki accessory seat for my 68" height. Oh yeah, that 130 thing is merely a number on the dial at that point - absolutely no drama!

Something not mentioned is the traction control and ECO mode. Definitely worth having.

I can attest to the KRTC effectiveness due to sand and light gravel on the roads out here. As much as I'm looking for it, there has been a time it did its job near Gateway, CO exiting from a parking lot. Also, during the 1000-IN-24 endurance run last August, my Connie achieved 60.4mpg between Gunnison and Durango using the ECO mode. Not bad for a four-cylinder! The next three fill-ups were 56-57mpg. My BMW bro-in-law who does the RT thing is impressed with those numbers.
    2012 Concours 14 | 2017 690 Enduro R
    AMA & IBA (SS1000) member
    2008 Z1000 (another bike I should not have sold)

I'm gonna test ride an 09 tomorrow.

Actually found a dealership in Santa Maria that lets you test ride used bikes... Imagine that these days.

So will get to sample the heater, the non linked brakes, and buffet special windshield.

I like the linked brakes. I tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It is nice to just squeeze the brake lever and get some rear brake. I still get some front compression to help turn in while in the curves so no issues with trail braking. Which setting do you guys have the linked brakes set at?
    Skill is what keeps you on two wheels.

Situational awareness combined with skill is what keeps you out of harm's way.

ATGATT combined with Situational Awareness and Skill means you might live to ride another day when that deer runs into your bike or that drunk blows through that stop sign.

Minimal intrusion for the linking.
    2012 Concours 14 | 2017 690 Enduro R
    AMA & IBA (SS1000) member
    2008 Z1000 (another bike I should not have sold)

I put it on aggressive when on the superslabs but minimal for cornering.

Where's Rasmith?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmith View Post
    I put it on aggressive when on the superslabs but minimal for cornering.
    You like the linked brakes? Must POSITIVE Reasons To Link THEM. The new 22,000 r1 has them. On a heavy bike like this, the rear brake actually does something

Ignore the stock 08 to 09 shield. It's 4 in too low. Aftermarket parts fix this no problem

Rode a red 2009 today. Pretty much a total stocker.

Man this bike is much sweeter the 2nd time around. Absolutely loved it. I think partly due to the stock seat. My buddy's 2010 had a Corbin seat and I did not like it at all. It was pushing me back off of the tank the whole time. The stock seat on the 09 kept me neutral where ever I sat.

Weather was overcast and 58 degrees. On the way back to the shop on surface streets I definitely could feel the heat out the right side. This is making me lean towards a 2010 or newer as I will be moving inland this summer to retire where it gets into the triple digits in the summer.

The standard non linked brakes were refreshing and familiar but were not nearly as powerful, and might I say touchy, as the 2010 model with the linked brakes.

Now if I can just find a clean one to steal!
    Last edited by Hawkerjet; 02-17-15 at 10:57 PM.

If you go 2009 and under you'll definitely need to upgrade the plastics so you get some venting away from the legs. I think there was a complaint as well with the side mirrors being too low and having the saddlebags in half the view.

Where's Rasmith?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links