Regulator plug melted? Reasons?

Logo

This is a discussion on Regulator plug melted? Reasons? within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z800, Z750 & Z-750S category; Last year I had corrosion at the regulator rectifier, which caused me to need a replacement RR and bike side plug. Today my bike died ...

Last year I had corrosion at the regulator rectifier, which caused me to need a replacement RR and bike side plug.

Today my bike died and I found that the new plug had melted in one area, I think the RR survived but the plug is toast.

Does anyone know what the cause would be? Sick off getting stranded, If I re wire a new plug on will it just happen again? Could it have been caused by a poor wiring job on the previous rewire?

You probably have a short somewhere that pulls juice.The plug got too hot. Would be a good idea to pull the cover and check out your stator. Look for burnt poles. I have done stators on 2 bikes. Easy check is voltage at idle and high rpms.

Heat melts the plug...(duh)

Heat happens when that plug gets dirty, and your connections are not very good. Thats what happened the first time this went bad.

My thought is the first issue was never completely repaired. Of course, a bad wiring job could have caused the second to fail, but you may have damaged the bikes stator.

If thats the case, you can re wire all you want to and the issue will come back.

This issue is semi-common with the ninja 1000. The plug needs to be opened up and cleaned on a regular basis to prevent this in the first place.

Re-Designed and Improved Kawasaki ZX1000 Ninja Regulator Rectifier

I fit were mine, id be on ebay looking for a new (used) regulator, stator as well as picking up a new battery.

Im not sure if that section of wiring can be replaced, but I would do that if its an option.

Sorry this happened to you.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

When I pulled the regulator to do a diode check, one of the 6 poles/posts was harder to pull a reading from, had to move the probe around to get one, but eventually they all tested okay. Could this be the cause of bad connection causing the heat? I believe this is the post that was connected to the wire that looked like the main melting point.

Does anyone know if the bike should have juice with the RR removed? I'm trying to test the stator, which requires me to turn on the bike. But now I can't get power to the bike, it's not the battery I put in a fresh one for now,

Nate, the ones I tested were BAD..Bad, as in you could visually see an issue.

But, just being logical....the plug melted because it got hot. Hot, in this case, would probably be seen as soemthign that had high resistance.

If you measure resistance, I would expect a bad one to have one pole with significantly higher resistance than the other....
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Brembo 330mm rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock-slipper -Ivans reflash...Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links