Is changing the spark plugs every 7500 miles/12000 kms necessary?

Logo

This is a discussion on Is changing the spark plugs every 7500 miles/12000 kms necessary? within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z800, Z750 & Z-750S category; My 2011 z1000 currently has 21000kms approx 12000 miles on it, wondering if doing the plugs is necessary or will I just find them to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By furagwa

Thread: Is changing the spark plugs every 7500 miles/12000 kms necessary?

My 2011 z1000 currently has 21000kms approx 12000 miles on it, wondering if doing the plugs is necessary or will I just find them to be still good.

What's everyone finding to be the correct interval for plug change? I've heard they use high end plugs from the factory to begin with.

I have never done plugs before.

I changed my plugs at about 8500 miles and they were still in very good condition.
    Who needs a therapist when you own a motorcycle.

2013 Ninja 1000 ABS, Ivans ECU reflash and custom map with full Akrapovic exhaust, airbox mod, block off plates, Osram Raylle 65 watt headlamp bulbs, Pazzo Levers, Sargent seat, R&G engine case protectors, Vesrah brake pads, Puig screen and Ventura luggage for the occasional road trip.

My '11 N1K is over 13k miles. It still seems to run fine. I was going to wait until at least 15K before I even think about it (unless something happens before that, of course)
    traktor_cerber likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RiderForums.com
    Advertisements

I changed out the plugs on my '11 at 25k miles. I'm still have the old ones since they look barely used. The iridium plugs specified on the Ninja last forever. I use to change iridium plugs on my '98 & '99 VFRs every 32k miles. BTW, checked the valves at the same time and all were spot on. Box stock motor except for slip-ons & K&N. I also don't spend much time at redline.
    2014 Ninja w/bags, Motowerks lowered pegs, Sargent Seat, Vstream tour screen, Givi XS306 tank bag, WOLO BadBoy, Aerostitch Roadcrafter.

Thanks for the insight guys, I don't think I'll worry about it for now, unless I end up going into the engine for another reason I think I'm going to hold off on the valve inspection and plugs until around the 24k mile mark.

Bike is stock except for air filter and akra slip ons just like yours kenors, just street riding nothing crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by NateKing View Post
    Thanks for the insight guys, I don't think I'll worry about it for now, unless I end up going into the engine for another reason I think I'm going to hold off on the valve inspection and plugs until around the 24k mile mark.
    Same here. From what I have read those who have performed the first valve clearance inspection at the interval suggested in the service manual find them to all be in specification. I am waiting until about 25,000 miles which I believe is what is specified for California emission bikes.
    Who needs a therapist when you own a motorcycle.

2013 Ninja 1000 ABS, Ivans ECU reflash and custom map with full Akrapovic exhaust, airbox mod, block off plates, Osram Raylle 65 watt headlamp bulbs, Pazzo Levers, Sargent seat, R&G engine case protectors, Vesrah brake pads, Puig screen and Ventura luggage for the occasional road trip.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links