Logo

Michelin: Pilot Road 4 (PR4)

This is a discussion on Michelin: Pilot Road 4 (PR4) within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Originally Posted by rcannon409 2011, yes...I felt that too with the pr3. So, what did you replace your pr3 with? Dunlop sportmax q2, seemed ok ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Michelin: Pilot Road 4 (PR4)

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    2011, yes...I felt that too with the pr3.
    So, what did you replace your pr3 with?
    Dunlop sportmax q2, seemed ok but i don't stress it that much. The jury is still out as i need spring to come for more miles and my new ivans reflash to be tested further...
    ZG doublebubble - 16t - dp320 rear brake - Ventura rack - pr3 rear (55) - Arrow header yoshi r77 cans - PC5 - K+N - (6) 7/8" airbox holes - Ivans flash and map - reversed bracket tailtidy -5000k/35W/h7 ddm tuning HID - SW motech anti-crashbar

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Just installed a PR4 front tire the other day. Hadn't had a chance to test it yet though.
    But one thing bothered me: The tire is way out of balance. Tried turning the tire on the rim, but that didn't change a thing. Never had that problem with my previous PR3's

I don't know which to choose between the PR3's and the PR4's.... I like riding on curvy roads on my days off, but I also go to work with my N1K on summer days, and it takes me 50 kilometers of straight freeway to get there ( that makes 100 kilometers of freeway per shift)..... Up to now I was riding on the OEM Battlax 016 tires, 190/50 R17.

Can someone help me ?
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS - the Green Beast --- TBR Black Series CF --- Gravity Zero Double Bubble DS --- Kawasaki rear seat cowl --- Motodynamic integrated tail light --- Targa fender eliminator --- Keiti Ninja CF tank and cap pads --- Custom helmet locking system --- swingarm spools --- GiPro-DS Gear Indicator in white --- Osram Night Breaker Unlimited --- Pilot Power 3's --- Motul 300V

'96 CBR 600 Repsol

You'll love either..the stock tires are horrible. With that much commuting, I think' I'd try the 4's. The harder rubber in the center should last longer. You knwo they wont send out a crap tire, no matter what. They say 20% more range, so what the hell....You still get the softer side for cornering.

Based only on this video. I like my 3's just fine.

Michelin Pilot Road 4 Tires Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Galfer 310 wave rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock -PCV and Auto tune - Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header-full sink and microwave-pool table

Thanks cannon. I know the PR4's would be the right choice based on my commuting... What scares me is that the PR4's rear tire has a medium-hard-medium compound , instead of soft-medium-soft for the PR3's rear tire....I know I'm not on a track with a ZX-10 R, but i still like bending over "a little" in my curves.... Will the PR4's provide me enough grip ?
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS - the Green Beast --- TBR Black Series CF --- Gravity Zero Double Bubble DS --- Kawasaki rear seat cowl --- Motodynamic integrated tail light --- Targa fender eliminator --- Keiti Ninja CF tank and cap pads --- Custom helmet locking system --- swingarm spools --- GiPro-DS Gear Indicator in white --- Osram Night Breaker Unlimited --- Pilot Power 3's --- Motul 300V

'96 CBR 600 Repsol

That harder center is what makes me think they would be perfect. I can spin my pr3, but thats only after Ivans ecu work, and it takes some decent effort. Its a non-issue. At 2500 miles, thats the only wear I can see on my pr3's. For me, I think I'd be willing to give em a shot even if it meant being slightly careful of spinning. The sides still sound soft enough for decen tgrip.
    2012 Ninja 1000 all green - Galfer 310 wave rotors - AK20 fork cartridges -Penske shock -PCV and Auto tune - Leo Vince slip on and Arrow header-full sink and microwave-pool table

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    That harder center is what makes me think they would be perfect. I can spin my pr3, but thats only after Ivans ecu work, and it takes some decent effort. Its a non-issue. At 2500 miles, thats the only wear I can see on my pr3's. For me, I think I'd be willing to give em a shot even if it meant being slightly careful of spinning. The sides still sound soft enough for decen tgrip.
    Hmm, I've slipped my PR3's 3-5 times a day on the Europe trip, ok it was a bit hotter then the ideal temp & some roads where a little dusty, but still I have a 39T at the rear so less acceleration power, and only Ivans FCE installed (& slipons)
    That happened a few times a week too in the backyard Luxembourgh, where there is plenty of grip & the roads are in mint condition.

You still have descent feel with a PR3 when it looses grip ... but not as much as with a PP3.

@sunbas ... If I where you I'd start with a PR3 or Z8, they both should be cheaper then the PR4.
    If the PR3 had plenty of grip enough for your driving style you can go for a PR4.

The PR3 provides plenty of grip if you're not pushing it too hard. Wouldn't recommend it at all for a trackday.

I have no idea if it's with the PR3s the same, but in Germany I was able to buy a Z8 M only compound (more grip, more wear), lies between the Z8 & sport tire.
    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,
    Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-sys., Rizoma turn signals, 190/55 PP3 tire ...

Thx for your answers guys. I didnt made up my mind yet (lol), I will think about it !

'96 CBR 600 Repsol

I've made up my mind ! I orderred Pilot POWER 3's....... lol

'96 CBR 600 Repsol

Quote Originally Posted by sunbass View Post
    You won't regret it, you'll love the grip & feel.
    While I wouldn't call it a long distance tire, I know people where they last 7000 - 9000 km (not with me tho).
    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,

You won't regret it, you'll love the grip & feel.
    While I wouldn't call it a long distance tire, I know people where they last 7000 - 9000 km (not with me tho ).

The PR4s are about 5-7$ more than the PR3s where i live
    Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid - Anonymous

Well I did almost 12 000 km with my Bridgstone BT-016.... But they are finished lol... I'm eager to test the PP3's longevity !

'96 CBR 600 Repsol

If only they had a 3.5. Honest, I think the pr3 is going to last long enough, for me. Never had an issue with the 2's either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads