Logo

Re-Designed and Improved Kawasaki ZX1000 Ninja Regulator Rectifier

This is a discussion on Re-Designed and Improved Kawasaki ZX1000 Ninja Regulator Rectifier within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Originally Posted by jeff400650 I don't pretend to understand electricity. It is more amorphous to me than suspension settings, but I have a 2012 N1K ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Re-Designed and Improved Kawasaki ZX1000 Ninja Regulator Rectifier

Quote Originally Posted by jeff400650 View Post
    I don't pretend to understand electricity. It is more amorphous to me than suspension settings, but I have a 2012 N1K and have regularly run highbeams, 50w heated grips and 90w heated jacket during many days of low rpm commuting, and the bike has always ran great and started fresh and perky on cold mornings with no battery tender in use.
    As long as you're using the recommended fuses, you're gonna be ok for the most part. Sure, parts have been known to fail but IF nothing fails, you're using the recommended fuses and they're not blowing, chances are you're ok.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Cox Radiator Guard : Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Every accessory has its' own inline fuse and I have never had to touch the stock fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee RideFar View Post
    you won't have an issue as this slowly ruins the RR and/or the stator. The RR will always compensate for increases and decreases in voltage. If it can't handle it, it slowly goes bad.
    Agreed. I'm not at all worried about it. When the bikes first appeared the magazines were stating the charging system was 336 watts.

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 Motorcycle Road Test | Rider magazine

No idea where they got the figure but 336w/13.2v = 25.5 amps. That should be more than adequate to run the minimal lighting the bike has, the engine, and a few accessories. Plenty of guys are doing it so I guess that's proof enough.
    '11 Ninja 1000
    Fuelly

I run heated gear, GPS, Radar and charge a phone no problems. I was thinking of getting extra lights but its super low on my wishlist. I just don't ride much at night.
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

Here is the latest reply from Kawasaki:

From: Mark Franzen [mailto:Mark.Franzen@kmc-usa.com] On Behalf Of Kawasaki Hotline
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 9:30 AM
To: 
Subject: RE: LOG# 802521

Yes, 
 24 watts would be correct. 

From: To: "'Kawasaki Hotline'" <Kawasaki.Hotline@kmc-usa.com>, 
Date: 05/31/2013 07:23 AM 
Subject: RE: LOG# 802521

customer asking if that means there is only 24 watts to add accessories. 

Thank you, 

This electronic message transmission contains information from 

From: Ken Stout [mailto:Ken.Stout@kmc-usa.com] On Behalf Of Kawasaki Hotline 
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:05 PM 
To: Royer 
Subject: LOG# 802521 

Hello Jon, 

This bike has a 2 amp accessory circuit. 

From: "K-Dealer Automated Hotline Contact System" <kawasaki.hotline@kmc-usa.com> 
To: "Kawasaki Hotline" <kawasaki.hotline@kmc-usa.com>, 
Date: 05/14/2013 10:36 AM 
Subject: Dlr: 1420 K-Dealer Hotline Ticket

Date: 5/14/2013 
 Model: ZX1000HCF
Miles: 1050 Hours: 
Fail Date: 05/14/2013 

Symptom/Failure Reason: 
customer asking what the peak alternator output is and what the operating load would be so he can determine what is left for accessories.

Yes, 24 watts would be correct for the accessory circuit with a 2 amp fuse. That's using 12v as the system voltage which isn't really correct but that's what they're using. I'm sure the Kawasaki company line will also state that 2 amp circuit is positively the only place you can connect any accessories.

We know the latter is completely false and so do they, but that's the answer they'll give because it's safe.

What everyone wants to find out is this - how much additional capacity the system has in normal operation. Or what the nominal load is during typical operation so we can compare it to the typical alternator output that we'd also like them to provide. I don't think we'll ever get that though.

In their defense, Kawasaki is dealing with all sorts of customers, from the totally clueless to engineers and people that do this sort of work all day long. So the answers they give are going to be for the lowest common denominator. That's the safe bet and keeps people from screwing up their bikes and getting pissed at Mama Kaw.

Until someone actually measures all of this we won't know with certainty.
    '11 Ninja 1000
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by Lee RideFar View Post
    you won't have an issue as this slowly ruins the RR and/or the stator. The RR will always compensate for increases and decreases in voltage. If it can't handle it, it slowly goes bad.
    Would the Re-Designed and Improved Kawasaki Ninja Regulator Rectifier that I mentioned in my first post be helpful in providing more watts?

Quote Originally Posted by lmb1948 View Post
    Would the Re-Designed and Improved Kawasaki Ninja Regulator Rectifier that I mentioned in my first post be helpful in providing more watts?
    I think that's up to the stator. I have been looking for a more powerful one, but no luck so far. Still I am comfortable putting 100-150W load on the bike and that's what I did all winter long without any problems. Just keep an eye on the system voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by lmb1948 View Post
    Only time will tell. The bike is too new and no ones RR has failed yet. Kawasaki does not have a history of bad RRs like Honda does so my bet is the OEM one is just fine.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads