Logo

Ninja 1000 Exhaust sound, with Mufflers removed

This is a discussion on Ninja 1000 Exhaust sound, with Mufflers removed within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; I needed more sound and volume out of my bike, but cant throw cash at a proper exhaust system at the moment (Flame suit on) ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tracktimeplz

Thread: Ninja 1000 Exhaust sound, with Mufflers removed

Ninja 1000 Exhaust sound, with Mufflers removed

I needed more sound and volume out of my bike, but cant throw cash at a proper exhaust system at the moment (Flame suit on) I first pulled the butterfly cable, but that wasnt enough, so I just pulled off the stock cans. It drones quite a bit, but the tone isnt bad, and because of the 4-1-cat config, its not excessively loud, at least in my opinion, but Ive had bikes with no cat, straight pipes, ect.

Figured some of you may be curious, so I posted a vid on Youtube. Startup with 1 muffler off, then both off, then drive off-flyby with both off.

Nina 1000 Stock Mufflers removed

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Wow, you could totally ride around like that. Had no idea how restrictive that exhaust system is. No wonder it gains 15 hp from just bolting on a full exhaust.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: Ventura Tail Bag :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

so we can conclude that the cat is a pretty good muffler! Don't set your pants leg on fire.
    Bob
    Ebony 2011 N1K

You could probably get a couple of cheapo turn downs from Wal-Mart, scuff them with some steel wool to knock off the shine, and end up pretty good.

I think the cat is most of the muffler. I recently ditched my cat for an arrow header. The noise increase was fairly dramatic even when using the same Leo Vince slip on.

With that in mind, I'll bet no slip on would be darn close to the Vance Hines Urban Brawler.

Quote Originally Posted by chadhargis View Post
    You could probably get a couple of cheapo turn downs from Wal-Mart, scuff them with some steel wool to knock off the shine, and end up pretty good.
    This is what I was thinking, looking at the Urban Brawlers, I realized they are just a ypipe with a mounting tab, and a nice finish. I may get my local exhaust shop to fab something up, and then have it ceramic coated, should come in under 100$ all said and done.

If I do, Ill post it up, with a new vid too
    rowdyred94 likes this.

Nice vid, with all the various scenarios. Thanks. I'd be curious to hear it under load with the mic along for the ride.
    Oh-12 N1K ABS in Spark Black/Micron Gray... 15,000 happy miles and counting | Blog at Planet Buhs
    T-Rex Racing sliders ~ 16-tooth front sprocket ~ Puig screen ~ The2Wheels levers ~ Angel GT + PR2 ~ Symtec grip heaters ~ Givi toprack and V46 case ~ Garmin Zuma 550 + Cardo Scala Rider Q2
    '02 Bandit 12S (sold after 10 years and 47,000 miles)
    'Busa shock ~ Racetech forks ~ Holeshot stage 1 & pipe ~ Hella headlights ~ CBRXX clipons
    '02 Honda XR50R, '92 Honda CR125R

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyred94 View Post
    Nice vid, with all the various scenarios. Thanks. I'd be curious to hear it under load with the mic along for the ride.
    Ill see if I cant get that done tomorrow, im curious too, as I only hear it inside my helmet, lol

I took my cans off and rode for a day without them, The next day they went back on. The popping under decel and the drone was horrible. They craet a lot of back pressure or have enough baffling inside to hide the drone and disguise the popping. After a day without them, when you put them back on you can hear the decel popping with the factory cans on. It is just very hidden.
    ryan
    2010 Z1000

2003 Z1000 sold to someone in Austin. Did someone here buy my bike from a guy named Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat67 View Post
    I took my cans off and rode for a day without them, The next day they went back on. The popping under decel and the drone was horrible. They craet a lot of back pressure or have enough baffling inside to hide the drone and disguise the popping. After a day without them, when you put them back on you can hear the decel popping with the factory cans on. It is just very hidden.
    I LIVE for that popping decel....

I opted for the Urban Brawlers without the DB Killers early last year. Pretty much the same as running the bike without mufflers at all. Cat performs most of the muffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracktimeplz View Post
    I LIVE for that popping decel....
    Run with it!

The drone is what really got to me, though.
    ryan
    2010 Z1000

2003 Z1000 sold to someone in Austin. Did someone here buy my bike from a guy named Steve?

I got the Urbans on my bike and I LOVE how it sounds!!
    Vance and Hines Urban Brawlers, K&N Filter, RSD mirror block offs, Smoked headlight and Tail Light, R&G Tail Tidy, Red LED kit, 10.85 1/4 mile 1.71 60ft.

Ads