Logo

Metzler Z8 vs Pilot Road 2/3

This is a discussion on Metzler Z8 vs Pilot Road 2/3 within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Looking for people who have tried both - have been scouring the internet and the general consensus I have found so far is that: 1) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Metzler Z8 vs Pilot Road 2/3

  1. #1
    Rising Star jadedgamerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Thanked
    17 times

    Metzler Z8 vs Pilot Road 2/3

    Looking for people who have tried both - have been scouring the internet and the general consensus I have found so far is that:

    1) PR2 > PR3 in the dry
    2) PR3 > PR2 in the wet
    3) PR2 > PR3 in terms of wear/longevity
    4) Z8's are as good/better than PR3 in the wet and dry but I cannot find mileage reports. *EDIT* based on the Motorrad test data, the Z8 wears better than the PR3 (not necessarily better than the PR2 however).

    I haven't seen any handling comparisons between them yet and would really like to know if someone noticed differences in tip-in, corner stability, straight line stability, road noise, comfort, road feel, etc.

    I know some people have opted for the PP/PR or M3,5/Z8 combinations as well to try and even out wear. My stock BT-016's are pretty much gone and don't turn in for **** (190/50 was a really bad idea by Kawasaki IMO). I have to fight to keep the bike down in the corner at the moment so anything would be an upgrade really, but these are the top two choices for mileage for me as I commute on the bike on concrete freeway daily during April-October.

    Thanks for any advice and pointers additional to the topics on this forum that have already been covered.

    Also open to other suggestions, these are the two that I have narrowed down so far based on research but I'm open to other ideas as well.
    Last edited by jadedgamerx; 09-18-12 at 10:46 AM.
    2011 N1K (Ebony): Pro-Bolt Rear Spools, Orbital CF tank pad, Puig Racing Screen/Dark Smoke, 434racer shorty clutch lever, OEM rear cowl cover, KurveyGirl 83* Valve Stems, Pirelli Angel STs (55 series in rear), Light Smoke LED Taillight, 39T rear sprocket,
    lou e lou i's grab bar delete kit.

    Fuel Economy Tracker:

  2. # ADS

    Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

  3. #2
    Supreme Being Squidlius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,698
    Thanked
    320 times
    Mileage reports will vary off the scale. For me the PR2s and the Z8s are comparable (haven't tried the PR3s and don't think I will) in ride and handling. They're both good tires but the difference I noticed was at the end of their lives the Z8s felt better than the PR2s and that's the determining factor for me. The PR2s got flatter and harder and slid around more at the end. Both lasted almost 6000 miles which is incredible for me. It's funny, I'm so used to sport tires that I got tired of looking at these after 5000 miles and started to get the feeling like I should replace them but they just wouldn't wear out! I've never had an issue with straight line stabililty, road noise or comfort but I'll be honest, all I care about is cornering grip. Both tires work great in the rain but then again I've used sport tires that were great in the rain as well.

    I know I'm a minority on this forum but my preference is the Z8 and definitely in a 55.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

  4. #3
    Rising Star jadedgamerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Thanked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidlius View Post
    Mileage reports will vary off the scale. For me the PR2s and the Z8s are comparable (haven't tried the PR3s and don't think I will) in ride and handling. They're both good tires but the difference I noticed was at the end of their lives the Z8s felt better than the PR2s and that's the determining factor for me. The PR2s got flatter and harder and slid around more at the end. Both lasted almost 6000 miles which is incredible for me. It's funny, I'm so used to sport tires that I got tired of looking at these after 5000 miles and started to get the feeling like I should replace them but they just wouldn't wear out! I've never had an issue with straight line stabililty, road noise or comfort but I'll be honest, all I care about is cornering grip. Both tires work great in the rain but then again I've used sport tires that were great in the rain as well.

    I know I'm a minority on this forum but my preference is the Z8 and definitely in a 55.
    Based on the conversations we've had in other threads and various PMs we appear to have similar overall riding style/goals for these tires. A lot of the information I've gathered so far has been from previous threads where we have discussed the PR3s amongst more sport/hypersport oriented tired as well as suspension setup. Thanks for the input Squid, it's a big part of the reason I started this specific post.
    2011 N1K (Ebony): Pro-Bolt Rear Spools, Orbital CF tank pad, Puig Racing Screen/Dark Smoke, 434racer shorty clutch lever, OEM rear cowl cover, KurveyGirl 83* Valve Stems, Pirelli Angel STs (55 series in rear), Light Smoke LED Taillight, 39T rear sprocket,
    lou e lou i's grab bar delete kit.

    Fuel Economy Tracker:

  5. #4
    Supreme Being Exp.Matters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vielsalm, Belgium
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanked
    97 times
    Have the PR3's now, 190/55 ... mileage about 9000km.

    Going for the new Metzeler Z8's (M/O compound instead of M/C), but not sure where to get the new ones (very unclear on the websites).)

    About the PR3's ... Less stable at +210 km/h then the BT016's.
    And I had a very nasty front tire slide in an uphill hairpin (40 cm slide, but somehow got the luck they got grip again).
    Very happy with their wet performance !

    The new & improved Z8's really smash the PR3's in reviews, check this one :

    Motorrad Reifentest 2012 - Tourenreifen 120/70 ZR 17 und 180/55 ZR 17 - Motorradreifen - MOTORRAD online
    In German, but Google translate might make it understandable for you.

    Reifentest_2012_Fahrverhalten_Landstrasse_endwertung.jpg
    Landstrasse neu = highway new
    Landstrasse nach 4000 km = highway after 4000km
    Nassstrecke = wet track
    Verschleiss = wear
    Summe = sum
    Platzierung = placement
    jadedgamerx likes this.
    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,
    Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-sys., Rizoma turn signals, 190/55 PP3 tire ...

  6. #5
    Supreme Being Squidlius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,698
    Thanked
    320 times
    They are great tires but you still have to wonder if those Germans aren't being narcissistic.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

  7. #6
    Supreme Being Exp.Matters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vielsalm, Belgium
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidlius View Post
    They are great tires but you still have to wonder if those Germans aren't being narcissistic.
    Tbh, I find the Motorrad reviews always very descent & unbiased, and they put a lot of effort in them.


    Motorcycle News, also came to +- the same conclusion with the new M/O compound.

    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,
    Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-sys., Rizoma turn signals, 190/55 PP3 tire ...

  8. #7
    Rising Star number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    296
    Thanked
    26 times
    I'll be putting a set of Z8's on my N1K soon as I get it. Tires are very big deal for me, I've GOT to have confidence in them completely and the only tire that ever gave me that was M1's and Z6's, so I don't doubt the Z8 will as well.

    ...

  9. #8
    Rising Star jadedgamerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Thanked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exp.Matters View Post
    Have the PR3's now, 190/55 ... mileage about 9000km.

    Going for the new Metzeler Z8's (M/O compound instead of M/C), but not sure where to get the new ones (very unclear on the websites).)

    About the PR3's ... Less stable at +210 km/h then the BT016's.
    And I had a very nasty front tire slide in an uphill hairpin (40 cm slide, but somehow got the luck they got grip again).
    Very happy with their wet performance !

    The new & improved Z8's really smash the PR3's in reviews, check this one :

    Motorrad Reifentest 2012 - Tourenreifen 120/70 ZR 17 und 180/55 ZR 17 - Motorradreifen - MOTORRAD online
    In German, but Google translate might make it understandable for you.

    Reifentest_2012_Fahrverhalten_Landstrasse_endwertung.jpg
    Landstrasse neu = highway new
    Landstrasse nach 4000 km = highway after 4000km
    Nassstrecke = wet track
    Verschleiss = wear
    Summe = sum
    Platzierung = placement
    Thanks for the Info Exp. - do you know subjectively what they are referring to when they mention highway and highway 4k? Is that kind of a cumulative comfort/stability rating? Dry traction? Just curious as it's 2/4 ratings and influences the overall placement and total score heavily. Some of the other tires did decently enough in the wet that I would consider them if their wear, dry traction and comfort were substantially better. I don't ride enough in the rain to purchase a set of tires based on that riding type alone (hence I was leaning towards the PR2 for it's dry traction, longevity and comfort over the PR3 until I could get some mileage reports on the Z8).
    2011 N1K (Ebony): Pro-Bolt Rear Spools, Orbital CF tank pad, Puig Racing Screen/Dark Smoke, 434racer shorty clutch lever, OEM rear cowl cover, KurveyGirl 83* Valve Stems, Pirelli Angel STs (55 series in rear), Light Smoke LED Taillight, 39T rear sprocket,
    lou e lou i's grab bar delete kit.

    Fuel Economy Tracker:

  10. #9
    Supreme Being Exp.Matters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vielsalm, Belgium
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jadedgamerx View Post
    Thanks for the Info Exp. - do you know subjectively what they are referring to when they mention highway and highway 4k? Is that kind of a cumulative comfort/stability rating? Dry traction? Just curious as it's 2/4 ratings and influences the overall placement and total score heavily. Some of the other tires did decently enough in the wet that I would consider them if their wear, dry traction and comfort were substantially better. I don't ride enough in the rain to purchase a set of tires based on that riding type alone (hence I was leaning towards the PR2 for it's dry traction, longevity and comfort over the PR3 until I could get some mileage reports on the Z8).
    Highway 4K means riding on the highway after 4000km tire wear

    Just did my 200km commute & on arrival I noticed the fabric coming through the rear PR3 ... so had to rush & found a dealer in the neighborhood with a 190/55 PR3 in stock

    No Z8's this time :/
    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,
    Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-sys., Rizoma turn signals, 190/55 PP3 tire ...

  11. #10
    Rising Star jadedgamerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Thanked
    17 times
    My Fiance and I did a quick translation of all of the freely available test data from this Motorrad test (I couldn't find a PDF/Image of the wet test data in detail available):

    Screen Shot 2012-09-18 at 11.40.53 AM.png

    I might look into the Pirelli Angel ST a bit more since they have a higher dry limit and good wear with a mild amount of sacrifice in the wet area (that I don't ride in much).
    2011 N1K (Ebony): Pro-Bolt Rear Spools, Orbital CF tank pad, Puig Racing Screen/Dark Smoke, 434racer shorty clutch lever, OEM rear cowl cover, KurveyGirl 83* Valve Stems, Pirelli Angel STs (55 series in rear), Light Smoke LED Taillight, 39T rear sprocket,
    lou e lou i's grab bar delete kit.

    Fuel Economy Tracker:

  12. #11
    Rising Star jadedgamerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Thanked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exp.Matters View Post
    Highway 4K means riding on the highway after 4000km tire wear

    Just did my 200km commute & on arrival I noticed the fabric coming through the rear PR3 ... so had to rush & found a dealer in the neighborhood with a 190/55 PR3 in stock

    No Z8's this time :/
    Glad to hear you made it to you destination unharmed, sounds like you wore that thing to it's limit!
    2011 N1K (Ebony): Pro-Bolt Rear Spools, Orbital CF tank pad, Puig Racing Screen/Dark Smoke, 434racer shorty clutch lever, OEM rear cowl cover, KurveyGirl 83* Valve Stems, Pirelli Angel STs (55 series in rear), Light Smoke LED Taillight, 39T rear sprocket,
    lou e lou i's grab bar delete kit.

    Fuel Economy Tracker:

  13. #12
    Rising Star number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    296
    Thanked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exp.Matters View Post
    Have the PR3's now, 190/55 ... mileage about 9000km.

    Going for the new Metzeler Z8's (M/O compound instead of M/C), but not sure where to get the new ones (very unclear on the websites).)

    About the PR3's ... Less stable at +210 km/h then the BT016's.
    And I had a very nasty front tire slide in an uphill hairpin (40 cm slide, but somehow got the luck they got grip again).
    Very happy with their wet performance !

    The new & improved Z8's really smash the PR3's in reviews, check this one :

    Motorrad Reifentest 2012 - Tourenreifen 120/70 ZR 17 und 180/55 ZR 17 - Motorradreifen - MOTORRAD online
    In German, but Google translate might make it understandable for you.

    Reifentest_2012_Fahrverhalten_Landstrasse_endwertung.jpg
    Landstrasse neu = highway new
    Landstrasse nach 4000 km = highway after 4000km
    Nassstrecke = wet track
    Verschleiss = wear
    Summe = sum
    Platzierung = placement
    Can you expand on the bold text above? I've looked on Metzelers website and it has no mention of M/O, but does state M/C in the size designation.

    ...

  14. #13
    Rising Star jadedgamerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Blaine, Minnesota
    Posts
    297
    Thanked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Can you expand on the bold text above? I've looked on Metzelers website and it has no mention of M/O, but does state M/C in the size designation.

    ...
    M/O is the new compound available in Germany - we probably won't be seeing it in the states for a while. Noticeably better tire than M/C generation in both wet/dry/wear based on the reviews I've gone through so far from foreign websites.
    2011 N1K (Ebony): Pro-Bolt Rear Spools, Orbital CF tank pad, Puig Racing Screen/Dark Smoke, 434racer shorty clutch lever, OEM rear cowl cover, KurveyGirl 83* Valve Stems, Pirelli Angel STs (55 series in rear), Light Smoke LED Taillight, 39T rear sprocket,
    lou e lou i's grab bar delete kit.

    Fuel Economy Tracker:

  15. #14
    Supreme Being Squidlius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    3,698
    Thanked
    320 times
    The best part is you can't go wrong with any of those tires.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

  16. #15
    Supreme Being Exp.Matters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Vielsalm, Belgium
    Posts
    1,113
    Thanked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Can you expand on the bold text above? I've looked on Metzelers website and it has no mention of M/O, but does state M/C in the size designation.

    ...
    I know ... very confusing !
    The M/O is the one they praise in all the reviews, and it is also mentioned on some pages of the Z8's description ... but I can't find any mention of it on a reseller website.

    Made it to the tire guy, and got a brand new PR3 190/55 rear ... a new tire always feels great !

    Will be replacing the front with a Metzeler Z8, still got 1000 km left on the front tire.
    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,
    Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-sys., Rizoma turn signals, 190/55 PP3 tire ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

metzeler z8

,
metzeler z8 mileage
,
metzeler z8 review
,
metzeler z8 vs michelin pilot road 3
,
metzeler z8 vs michelin pilot road 4
,

metzeler z8 vs pilot road 3

,
metzeler z8 vs pr3
,
michelin pilot road 3 vs metzeler z8
,
michelin pr3 vs metzeler z8
,
pilot road 3 vs metzeler z8
Click on a term to search for related topics.