Logo

Ohlins for Ninja 1000

This is a discussion on Ohlins for Ninja 1000 within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Yes, I searched. Yes, I PM'd a few members. Yes, I have done suspension upgrades to previous bikes, so I am fairly well educated. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ohlins for Ninja 1000

Yes, I searched.
    Yes, I PM'd a few members.
    Yes, I have done suspension upgrades to previous bikes, so I am fairly well educated. I am 230lbs and considered a very fast rider with quite a few tracks days under my belt. Scraping pegs and dragging a knee here and there on maxed out suspension was possible after only a couple days on this bike.

But, I need to move fast and get components ordered ASAP. I need advice from members here who have done a suspension upgrade to their Ninja 1000.

Question #1: Appears there is only one model of Ohlins shock that fits the Ninja 1000. 2 way adjustable only with remote preload. Correct? If so, what and where is the cheapest you have found them (new)?

Question #2: I am thinking of just doing springs in the front, but my local suspension shop cannot determine what springs to order as they cannot determine the stock spring specs without pulling one out. Would appreciate anyone either providing me the information directly, or tell me where to go to find this info.

Thanks guys!

-Frank

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

These are the springs I have in the front of my N1K:

Omni Fork Spring Kit

The spring is a 1.0 rate and Traxxion also made custom preload spacers (140mm) for my bike. Running 110mm of 7wt Maxina oil.

I'm running a Penske 8983 shock and Hyperco 6x575 spring on the back, so I can't help you with your Ohlins questions

HTH...
    2011 Ninja 1000 Custom Paint - Ivan's complete performance package with dual CF Akra's, Traxxion Dynamics front and Penske rear suspension, R&G frame sliders, R&G engine covers, R&G radiator guard, EVO-Tech tail tidy, Pazzo Levers, Double Bubble screen ... Love this bike

Thank you.
    Surprising. One reply. I guess little farkles that do nothing to the bike are more important than actual performance.

There are 2 models of Ohlins that you can get for the Ninja 1000.

The standard model is the KA010 which has a remote preload adjuster and rebound damping adjustment. The best prices are typically found on Ebay. As I recollect the lowest price in the past few weeks was about $730.

You also can special order a unit with compression and rebound damping and remote reservoir, but this will probably run about $1800 and only be available directly from Ohlins USA.

Lastly speaking from experience, the Ohlins is an improvement, but it isn't going to make the bike handle like a current issue superbike.

It's the same shock for the Z1000 isn't??
    STG Price: $530.62
    Retail Price: $617.00
    You save $86.38 (14%)

÷hlins Shock Kawasaki Z1000 2010-11 from SportbikeTrackGear.com
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

haha that is all.

I noticed ÷hlins lists the KA 010 for the Z1000 ('11-'12) and the KA 110 for the Z1000SX (Ninja 1000).
    No idea what's the difference ...
    2011 Ebony Z1000SX - Akra slip-ons, Bitubo front & rear susp., Hel braided lines, Brembo SA pads, Rizoma reserv.,
    FCE, bi-xenon + LED angel eyes, Sargent seat, Evotech tail tidy, Puig screen, Evotech Rad. Guard, Rizoma sport grips,
    Throttlemeister, Vtrec levers, Givi E55 top + V35 side cases & SW-Motech elect. city tankbag, Kaw. Engine guards,
    Carbon wrap, Scottoiler E-sys., Rizoma turn signals, 190/55 PP3 tire ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldaddygroove View Post
    Thank you.
    Surprising. One reply. I guess little farkles that do nothing to the bike are more important than actual performance.
    It's mostly a $$ thing I think. As the mods go up in price the number people doing them drops.
    '11 Ninja 1000
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by Exp.Matters View Post
    I noticed ÷hlins lists the KA 010 for the Z1000 ('11-'12) and the KA 110 for the Z1000SX (Ninja 1000).
    No idea what's the difference ...
    Yes, I learned this as well. Ray916 claims the K010 fits the Ninja 1000. How do you know this?

I can't see what the difference is between the 110 and 010. Shock length?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooldaddygroove View Post
    Yes, I learned this as well. Ray916 claims the K010 fits the Ninja 1000. How do you know this?

I can't see what the difference is between the 110 and 010. Shock length?
    Oops my bad. Just looked at my invoice and it is a KA110. I'll swear when I ordered it, earlier this year Ohlins USA said it was a KA010. The invoice also says it is a S46DR1S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    Oops my bad. Just looked at my invoice and it is a KA110. I'll swear when I ordered it, earlier this year Ohlins USA said it was a KA010. The invoice also says it is a S46DR1S.
    why you pay soooo much? big boi?
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    So Ray, did yours have ride height adjustment, rebound AND compression adjustment?

Or was it just preload and rebound adjustable?

Edit: Disregard, I looked up the model codes and answered my question, thanks.
    Last edited by Squidlius; 07-11-12 at 10:31 AM.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

Can't seem to determine what the difference is between the KA010/SR6DR1S for the Z1000 and the KA110/S46DRDR1S for the Ninja 1000.

Heck, there is even a KA042/SR6DR1 for the Z1000 that does not have a remote preload adjuster that is $200-$300 cheaper than the one with one.

It looks like Ohlins uses two different model numbers to differentiate between the Z1000 and Ninja 1000 inventory but they have the exact same part number. Personally I’d look at a Penske 8983 series shock to get ride height and compression adjustments. It’ll be a lot harder to adjust the preload but it’d be worth it if you really know how to set up suspension to your liking.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

Quote Originally Posted by Squidlius View Post
    Personally Iíd look at a Penske 8983 series shock to get ride height and compression adjustments. Itíll be a lot harder to adjust the preload but itíd be worth it if you really know how to set up suspension to your liking.
    2011 Ninja 1000 Custom Paint - Ivan's complete performance package with dual CF Akra's, Traxxion Dynamics front and Penske rear suspension, R&G frame sliders, R&G engine covers, R&G radiator guard, EVO-Tech tail tidy, Pazzo Levers, Double Bubble screen ... Love this bike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads