Logo

Best 1/4 mile times on Nk1?

This is a discussion on Best 1/4 mile times on Nk1? within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Curious what peeps are getting stock and more interested after full exhaust and mods?...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Best 1/4 mile times on Nk1?

Best 1/4 mile times on Nk1?

Curious what peeps are getting stock and more interested after full exhaust and mods?

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Sprung from the triumph thread?
    Stock, 10.5 according to the mcnews stat sheet, 10.9 in the vbox gps video.

Really wanna see after a Acro full exhaust to be honest. Sorry for the redundancy, I'm still a excited noob.

I'm 6'6" 250lbs and run at the track every Wed, only mods I have are K&N Filter and 16T front sprocket. And my best time has been 11.4 at 120mph. Not what I was expecting, but for my size I guess it's not too bad. Also when it was stock it was hard to keep the front tire on the ground from launch. The 16T made a big difference for the launch. Now I'm waiting to see what Brock's is gonna do with that Z1000 he's working on. Hoping next year I'll be in the 10's with it!

sounds like your gearing killed your power? with your weight I bet your pretty close to right on though. Funny I do those et calcs lol and with me estimating 123 rwhp and 720 lbs it puts me right at 10.50 at 129 mph. That of course is at sea level so Id take off for the DA.

DA and weight of the rider are a huge factor, especially when you look at the MPH. Anyone can drag race a motor cycle.. but being truly quick takes skill and lots of practice... and I mean lots. Running short wheel base is super tricky. A low ET is in the launch.

Ok.. don't make fun.. I am big.. I weigh over 300 suited and I race at a track where DA is often closer to 7000 ft then actual altitude of 4225 feet. Just for fun, cuz I normally don't run the z1000 at the drag strip, I was able to put down an 11.516 ET at 120.04 MPH with a sad 2.015 60' time on my 2011 zed. Best 60 ft time that night was a 1.939. The air was better than usual at about 4500' DA It was all I could do to hold the front down and I could only get WOT in first for a split second before the front lifted and I'd have to short shift it or chop it hard cuz it was gonna go over. My 2011 z1000 is full exhaust (Akra Ti) PCV with auto tune. I had the front strapped. Geared 16/43. Now before you roll your eyes and get all judgy on me, I am heavy. That's a lot of weight to get going that quick. Then factor in the power loss from the high altitude.. you can subtract 3% for every 1000 ft of DA... so over 13% less power than you guys at sea level would enjoy... so I was doing that with about 105-110 HP.

OK.. now for some cheating with NHRA correction factor. Magazines do this all the time.
    4500ft DA - ET multiplier .9445 & MPH multiplier 1.0591
    ET - 10.87
    MPH - 127.13
    Not too bad for a fatty IMO.

My buddy that weighs in at about 160 lbs runs about .5 less or better than me on any same machine. 10.3 is a completely doable time on the gen 3 z1000. I read that the N1k turned an even faster ET.. some attribute it to the fairings and better wind resistance. I would think it's also the taller gearing, and heavier weight making it easier to launch and keep down. Some extra strategically placed weight can help get out of the hole faster. At some point the weight hurts though I would have to see the time slips for both bikes to make final judgement. This assumes same rider, same track, same day of course.

Anyway... drag racing motorcycles is hard. That's my official stance.
    Last edited by motoCYCHO; 06-05-12 at 05:12 PM.
    GQ4Life and hydrashok like this.
    - Rev. CYCHO -

- Church of the Holy Smoke -

Quote Originally Posted by motoCYCHO View Post
    DA and weight of the rider are a huge factor, especially when you look at the MPH. Anyone can drag race a motor cycle.. but being truly quick takes skill and lots of practice... and I mean lots. Running short wheel base is super tricky. A low ET is in the launch.

Ok.. don't make fun.. I am big.. I weigh over 300 suited and I race at a track where DA is often closer to 7000 ft then actual altitude of 4225 feet. Just for fun, cuz I normally don't run the z1000 at the drag strip, I was able to put down an 11.516 ET at 120.04 MPH with a sad 2.015 60' time on my 2011 zed. Best 60 ft time that night was a 1.939. The air was better than usual at about 4500' DA It was all I could do to hold the front down and I could only get WOT in first for a split second before the front lifted and I'd have to short shift it or chop it hard cuz it was gonna go over. My 2011 z1000 is full exhaust (Akra Ti) PCV with auto tune. I had the front strapped. Geared 16/43. Now before you roll you eyes and get all judgy on me, I am heavy. That's a lot of weight to get going that quick. Then factor in the power loss from the high altitude.. you can subtract 3% for ever 1000 ft of DA... so over 13% less power than you guys at sea level would enjoy... so I was doing that with about 105-110 HP.

OK.. now for some cheating with NHRA correction factor. Magazines do this all the time.
    4500ft DA - ET multiplier .9445 & MPH multiplier 1.0591
    ET - 10.87
    MPH - 127.13
    Not too bad for a fatty IMO.

My buddy that weighs in at about 160 lbs runs about .5 less or better than me on any same machine. 10.3 is a completely doable time on the gen 3 z1000. I read that the N1k turned an even faster ET.. some attribute it to the fairings and better wind resistance. I would think it's also the taller gearing, and heavier weight making it easier to launch and keep down. Some extra strategically placed weight can help get out of the hole faster. At some point the weight hurts though I would have to see the time slips for both bikes to make final judgement. This assumes same rider, same track, same day of course.

Anyway... drag racing motorcycles is hard. That's my official stance.
    One of the best write-ups I have ever seen regarding real world times. You addressed all of the factors involved. And I completely agree that drag racing these powerful, short wheel base bikes takes a lot of skill.
    2011 Ninja 1000 - 2012 Ducati Panigale ABS - 2013 BMW 1600GT

Quote Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
    One of the best write-ups I have ever seen regarding real world times. You addressed all of the factors involved. And I completely agree that drag racing these powerful, short wheel base bikes takes a lot of skill.
    Thanks! I am certainly no expert.. but I do understand drag racing motorcycles better than I actually do it. I'll just say I know enough to know when I am doing it wrong!
    - Rev. CYCHO -

- Church of the Holy Smoke -

Quote Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
    And wheelie bars, I think that's the only way to get all the power to the ground in the 1st 2 gears. The Ninja feels about equal to the ZX9 I had many years ago and the magazines were getting 10.10's to 10.20's on it. I know it's certainly a lot faster than my Z750S and magazines were getting 11.30's on it.

Quote Originally Posted by motoCYCHO View Post
    Thanks! I am certainly no expert.. but I do understand drag racing motorcycles better than I actually do it. I'll just say I know enough to know when I am doing it wrong!
    I have been extremely active on the Corvette forum for over ten years (over 23,000 posts). I'm no expert drag racer and never went down a strip until I was 48 years old. But I did set some very good times on a few of my Corvettes. But the real point is that I have seen it all in people posting about 1/4 mile times. What I get tired of is seeing posts that don't address the realities of drag racing very often. They give half the story - which usually tells me they are only telling half truths.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    And wheelie bars, I think that's the only way to get all the power to the ground in the 1st 2 gears. The Ninja feels about equal to the ZX9 I had many years ago and the magazines were getting 10.10's to 10.20's on it. I know it's certainly a lot faster than my Z750S and magazines were getting 11.30's on it.
    I'd love to see some runs with Ricky Gadson riding a Ninja 1000 bone stock. I'd bet money he could easily get below 10.3 in good conditions. One magazine did get a 10.3 on a Z1000, although I don't know if they give corrected times or actual.

My local drag srip is open for the season and I have been practicng my launches. I have Ivan's full kit, PLUS I have the timing restrictions removed in the lower gears through an ECU reflash. I am running 16 X 42 tooth and did 7 practice runs of 0 to 100 mph. I have a didigtal stop watch taped to the lower part of my tack and tried to start each run on a new minute. My first gear is just wicked with the mods and the timing restrictions removed. Of the seven practice runs four were good and three I had to abort. One run I rocked the bike on power up and was able to spin the rear tire out of the hole through most of 1st gear and part of second. Each of the four good runs were clearly plus or minus seven seconds. The one great launch appeared to be around 6 1/2 seconds. The reason I only practice 0 to 100 is I don't have anywhere around my house to time full 1/4 mile runs.
    Now I know this is not scientific but it is certainly in the pall park for reasonable self timing. I have used this method in the past and gone to the strip and pretty well matched my estimates. I have also gone to the drag strip without any practice starts, made a complete fool of myself, and wasted a lot of time and money. My goal is the lower 10s and over 130 mph but I'll be happy with 11 seconds and 125mph.
    I remember in the 1980s a turbo charged Suzuki drag bike pulled upper 9s and 145mph and everybody was all pumped over that time. How anyone can say the N1k is slow is beyond me. Take away all the liter bike flagship models, 1,800 cc to 2,200 cc special purpose bike, ( V-max and Rocket ), and I think the Z1000 and the N1k are on the top of the remaining performance list. Just MYO.
    bakwheeltango likes this.
    2011 Nija 1000, Full Ivan's kit, set up for touring, heated grips, triple luggage, backrest, cruise control, GPS, Laser Jammer, Radar Detector, forward foot rest.
    2008 Raider S, spent more on mods vs. original cost new
    2010 DRZ SM, 60 hp racing track bike
    2003 KTM 625 SXC, racing off road enduro bike.

I bet 1,000 dollars Ricky could not get anywhere near a 10.30 on this bike.

And here is how you know all the gues work is crap in real life. It always lowers the time's...lol

real times are what you have actually run. I imagine this bike to be a pain in the *** the launch, more so than my G1K.

The gearing is short, the wheelbase relatively short, the low end torque fairly high, and the suspension is pretty springy. All bad for decent 1/4 times.

Love to keep seeing what people have actually ran. I plan on running mine for sure, just to see.

and magazines always print correct times. And that is why you can never match magazine times on your stock bike, cause their times are bs.

Sport bikes are better drag racers than this bike. Just because it has a zx9 motor does not mean it will run ZX9 times.

Please post your real times, with 60ft, 1/8 mile et and mph, and 1/4 et and mph.

Most of the noobs that go to the strip with us end up 12 o'clock-ing on their first launch! No one's flipped it yet, but we've had some real pucker moments despite telling them to slip the clutch and not dump it. All my launches are horrible because I spend so much time trying to remember how to do it without flipping, that I forget to concentrate on the lights!
    bakwheeltango likes this.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 | Post Accident Color change coming soon! | OEM Solo Seat Cowl | Puig Smoke Windscreen | Targa Fender Eliminator | Rizoma Rear Turn Signals | Sato GP style swingarm hooks | M4 GP Style slip-ons

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Ads