Logo

How to install a fender eliminator on your Ninja 1000

This is a discussion on How to install a fender eliminator on your Ninja 1000 within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Today my R&G "Tail Tidy" fender eliminator came in. The instructions they send and on their website are not 100% acurate. It is based off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to install a fender eliminator on your Ninja 1000

Lightbulb How-to: install a fender eliminator on your Ninja 1000

Today my R&G "Tail Tidy" fender eliminator came in. The instructions they send and on their website are not 100% acurate. It is based off the Z1000 which there are some differences when installing the kit.

I made a tutorial video while doing the install. Perhaps it might help someone who has never done one. Of all my bikes this one was more involved than others but pretty straight forward.

Watch in HD.

Before

After

Before

After

The LED unit is a nice clean bright white. No hint of blue or purple. Video screenshots.

Last edited by haknslash; 06-02-12 at 11:32 PM.
    NinjaGreg and twistedthrottle like this.
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS - Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Flat Micron Gray
    GiPro-DS gear indicator in white OEM Ninja gel seat TRS/Morimoto 5000k HID superbrightleds.com 5500k SMD LED marker lights Tankslapper film R&G fender eliminator

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Awesome, thanks for posting
    2011 Black N1K - Arrow Dark Slip On, T-Rex frame sliders, GP Shift by SMR Components, Muzzy Tail Tidy, Apex Riser Clip-ons, ASV levers
    2007 ZX6R - Track Only - Armour Bodies, Woodcraft Rearsets, Two Bros full exhaust, elka shock, bazzaz FI/QS/TC, GPR Steering Damper, Braking Rotors, spiegler brake lines, ASV Levers, CL Brake pads
    Get on the Right Track
    www.sportbiketracktime.com
    www.apexmfg.com
    www.racercafe.com

Just installed one yesterday. It was not a Muzzy but after watching the video I wish it was. Mine was a pia to install and not as nice as yours.
    2011 Ninja 1000 Black
    2003 Vmax-sold
    2008 CRF 250x
    2009 KTM 450 xc-f

Quote Originally Posted by M1Diesel View Post
    Just installed one yesterday. It was not a Muzzy but after watching the video I wish it was. Mine was a pia to install and not as nice as yours.
    Mine is an R&G. It was pretty straight forward of an install even with the instructions not being accurate. The most time consuming aspect of the install, minus fiddling with the camera angles and such, was trying to bolt it back up using the supplied screws or the stock ones. But after holding my tongue 32 to the left and sipping on good beer, I was able to line it up and get her bolted up .

One thing worth mentioning but left out of the video is that it would be a good idea to add some blue loctite on the threads to deal with vibes.

Thanks guys
    GiPro-DS gear indicator in white OEM Ninja gel seat TRS/Morimoto 5000k HID superbrightleds.com 5500k SMD LED marker lights Tankslapper film R&G fender eliminator

I just installed the Targa FE and what a PITA it was... looks good now that I am done, but I was really fighting it. My main issue was the wiring for the plate light was too bulky and prevented the tail from going back together properly... took me forever to figure out where the problem was and to get the plastics lined up properly. I replaced the signals in the kit with Rizomas... they are shaped similar to the fronts.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 | Post Accident Color change coming soon! | OEM Solo Seat Cowl | Puig Smoke Windscreen | Targa Fender Eliminator | Rizoma Rear Turn Signals | Sato GP style swingarm hooks | M4 GP Style slip-ons

Yup the wiring was a pain for me too since there isn't much room under there. I ran my turn signals wires back under the computer module thing that is in there. That's the way they were routed originally. I tried going a different route but couldn't get the undertail plastic pulled up high enough. This bike is by far the most involved I've ever had when installing something as simple as a fender eliminator lol. Looks so much better now though so all the cursing was worth the trouble

Nice instructional video and the FE really cleans up the back of the bike.

Think I may just use a Dremel and a cutting wheel to cut the stock fender off behind the license plate first and see how that works.
    Last edited by Johnmark101; 06-04-12 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmark101 View Post
    Nice instructional video and the FE really cleans up the back of the bike.

Think I may just use a Dremel and cutting and cut the stock fender off behind the license plate first and see how that works.
    Thanks.

If you do decide to dremel your stock one off you might want to make sure you leave both of the philips head screws intact or your fender/tag may seperate since its held together by 3 fastners. If you removing just below where the bottom of the tag goes you will be fine.

does the r&g use the existing blinkers?
    2011 Ninja 1000 (black)
    Sargent Seat / Tankslapper / Q2s (55 in rear) tires / RAM ball clutch mount for brake (1 ball) and clutch (2 balls) for GPS, radar and cupholder / 2 powerlets in the "dash" / yuasa battery tender / sw-motech tank ring and day pack tank bag with power to the bag from powerlets in the dash / uclear hbc 200 in-helmet speakers for music, phone / Garmin 60csx GPS on handlebar via RAM Mount / MRA xScreen Windscreen Extension

Quote Originally Posted by treestone27 View Post
    does the r&g use the existing blinkers?
    My pics and vid shows it using them, so yes

From the Z1000 R&G instructions:

IF REUSING ORIGINAL INDICATORS (TURN SIGNALS) FIT TO NEW LICENCE PLATE BRACKET AS ORIGINAL. IF FITTING MINI-INDICATORS R&G PRODUCT CODE RG370, YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THE INDICATOR ADAPTORS SUPPLIED IN KIT.

where did you buy yours from? I'm looking for one for me 2011 z.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
    where did you buy yours from? I'm looking for one for me 2011 z.
    Twisted Throttle R&G "Tail Tidy" fender eliminator kit for Kawasaki Z1000 '10-, Ninja 1000 '11- - RG.LP0095BK : TwistedThrottle.com. Gave them a shoutout at the intro of the vid . Fast shipping! It's a little pricey but R&G makes nice stuff and its low profile compared to some others.

Great video. Here's the finished product on my Muzzy bracket. It was +/- $60 including shipping and uses all stock wiring connections and turn signals. Took about an hour and a half and 3-4 beers to complete installation. Looking back at the stock fender pictures, it confirms that it was time well spent.

Ninja-3.jpg
    Ninja-1.jpg
    Go ahead, skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks good man. And yes good beer always make the installs better!

I installed the Evotech and it was a pain as well. Guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads