Logo

Oil light after drop

This is a discussion on Oil light after drop within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Dropped on right side today 0mph stupid move... Anyway, oil light is on. I think it's the same problem some see when changing oil. Going ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oil light after drop

Oil light after drop

Dropped on right side today 0mph stupid move...

Anyway, oil light is on. I think it's the same problem some see when changing oil.

Going to try pulling the filter, etc. this eve. Anyone had this problem before?
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS
    Puig Windscreen - Speedohealer - Evotech Tail Tidy - Keiti Mini Spools
    SW Motech GPS Mount - Sargent Seat - Koso Voltmeter - Koso Engine Coolant Temp Gauge
    Other Bike - 2011 Vstrom DL650

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Starting to question the quality of Kawasaki product line. Z1000 my first kawi always had been Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by publicenemy View Post
    Starting to question the quality of Kawasaki product line. Z1000 my first kawi always had been Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha
    Cuz Honda's, Suzuki's, and Yamaha's never break or do weird stuff when you drop them?
    bakwheeltango likes this.
    - Rev. CYCHO -

- Church of the Holy Smoke -

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Dropped on right side today 0mph stupid move...

Anyway, oil light is on. I think it's the same problem some see when changing oil.

Going to try pulling the filter, etc. this eve. Anyone had this problem before?
    Please stand by while I go toss mine on the ground and find out for you.

Check that oil pressure sender wire is connected. Also, the oil pressure LED is the same one that flashes for FI error codes. I'd suspect an FI code before loss of oil pressure. It will show "FI" instead of the oil can icon on the display.
    Last edited by motoCYCHO; 05-16-12 at 05:35 PM.
    - Rev. CYCHO -

So this eve I start it to make sure I still have problem after it sat the rest of the day. Yep, still there.

Pull filter, re-install filter, start bike, no problem.

So what now? I have to carry a filter wrench in case I tip it? Stupid.
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS
    SW Motech GPS Mount - Sargent Seat - Koso Voltmeter - Koso Engine Coolant Temp Gauge

So this eve I start it to make sure I still have problem after it sat the rest of the day. Yep, still there.

You could leave the filter only hand tight.. so when you drop it again it's a bit easier to burp it.

Kinda silly to plan what you carry around with you based on how you will be breaking it... if tossing the bike to the ground seems like something you are likely to do often.. eh.. might be a good idea in your case.

I really am sorry you dropped your bike. Hoping the damage is minimal.
    - Rev. CYCHO -

I have a Vstrom to ride if I feel like throwing one down....

First tip in 4 yrs, so hardly plan to do it.

I just find it hard to believe that I would have to do this to get it running after a very minimal tip over, hell I nearly saved it.

Damage is purely cosmetic, and you have to really look hard to see the 2 or three scratches.

I certainly don't plan to drop it. Kawi probably doesn't plan for me to drop it either, but they put in a tip sensor anyway.

I'd hate to be out 100 miles from home and drop in in the parking lot of a restaurant (accidentally of course) and have no way to get it home but tow it or beg for a wrench.

I only hand tighten it on, but it takes a wrench to get it off, usually.
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS

and.... i don't just blame kawi... hell the Suzuki Vstrom, if tipped over completely, can get oil in the breather, but I carry tools on it....
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS

Quote Originally Posted by motoCYCHO View Post
    Please stand by while I go toss mine on the ground and find out for you.
    lol... boy I laughed out loud. sure like it when you're not pummeling me!
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

You're not the only one blown away by this. I'm thinking of buying an extended warranty because of this issue

Quote Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
    You're not the only one blown away by this. I'm thinking of buying an extended warranty because of this issue
    I know someone who dropped theirs in the front yard while moving it and didn't have a problem, so you're probably crying wolf just a bit early after this unique corner case.

There are mentions of drops on here and the UK site, and Philbert is the only unlucky soul to experience this.
    2011 Ninja 1000 --- THE GREEN NEENJA --- Detailed Mod List
    Akrapovic, BMC, Carrozzeria, DynoJet, EBC, Ermax, EvoTech, HealTech, Ivan's, Jet-Hot Coatings
    LightWerkz, MotoWerk, MRA, Ohlins, Pazzo, Powerbronze, R&G, Rizoma, Sargent, Sato, Scotts
    Servo Buddy, Shorai, Speedbleeders. Spencers, Spiegler, Tankslapper, Throttlemeister, TPO
    [Metric Motorcycles Tuned] [Air Box Mod] [Kleen Air Removed] [Subthrottle Plates Removed]

Just so everyone knows.... I may have been ranting a little earlier, but I was pissed.

You know, you get something new, you want it to be perfect. Well, it's got a tiny bit o' character now, and I learned somethin in the process.

I'll be givin her hell in the canyon this weekend, without a filter wrench on board.
    2012 Ninja 1000 ABS

Philbert,

Pretty sure you know this, but just to be clear I was only messing with you. I feel your pain and have been there... more than a couple times I should be embarrassed to admit. I have dropped my fair share of bikes like a damn bike dropping hero. That said and knock on wood.. not my z1k.

As for the oil pressure light and what seems to be an oil pump priming or cavitation issue with this motorcycle.. it concerns me greatly as well. In fact, at each oil change I try different methods to gain oil pressure as soon as possible. No one thing has worked absolutely for me and I find it frustrating to say the least. I have started and participated in several threads about this very topic and unless I have missed something, there is no absolute fix. Some don't even have the issue. I eagerly await a solution that works for me every time... I do. The last time I changed the oil I was able to get oil pressure without burping at the filter. Still had an oil light for several seconds.. I've posted the details in another thread and I can find it if you want.. Not sure it would help on the side of the road or in a parking lot without tools though?
    - Rev. CYCHO -

mine dropped twice, never had an oil light popping up.
    Same as many other SX drivers.
    Your case with the light popping up is the first I've heard of.

More experiences on the z1000sx.co.uk forum, in the stand spring replacement thread.

"Cuz Honda's, Suzuki's, and Yamaha's never break or do weird stuff when you drop them? "
    I was commenting in regards to the oil pressure problems that seem to be common amongst Kawasaki’s, particularly when changing oil. Doubtful I would have went with a Kawasaki product had I been aware of these issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads