Logo

Air box mod

This is a discussion on Air box mod within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Bring on the air! Pretty simple. Make sure you loosen BOTH sides of the airbox connected to the throttle bodies. It helps to remove fairing ...

Thread: Air box mod

Air box mod

Bring on the air!

Pretty simple. Make sure you loosen BOTH sides of the airbox connected to the throttle bodies. It helps to remove fairing bolts to give fairings some movement.

I'll see how it affects my fuel curve. So far I can feel a little boost but it is probably my wishful thinking!

Lou
    [2011 Ninja 1000 Black] [12v Plug] [5000K HIDs] [GPS Mount] [PCV] [Auto Tune] [Full Muzzy Oval] [Modded Air Box] [Subthrottle Plates Removed] [Kleen Air Mod] [CNC Levers] [Givi Rack] [Fenda Extenda] [Muzzy Fender Eliminator] [Puig Screen] [Throttle Boss] [Symtec Heated Grips]

[2004 KTM 525 EXC Supermotard - Street Legal]

[2009 KTM 250 XCW Plated 2-stroke]

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

interesting mod

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou View Post
    Bring on the air!

Pretty simple. Make sure you loosen BOTH sides of the airbox connected to the throttle bodies. It helps to remove fairing bolts to give fairings some movement.

I'll see how it affects my fuel curve. So far I can feel a little boost but it is probably my wishful thinking!

Lou
    Just chop the whole thing up till you just end up with a "Frame" of say 3/8" think edges.
    2010 Z1000 Black & Silver (the faster one)
    **Custom Fender Eliminator**OES Frame Sliders**Puig Racing Dark Smoke Windscreen**DDM 5000k HID Setup**Dual Carbon Fiber Slip-ons**Symtec Heated Grips**ProGrip 699 Gel Grips**SpeedMetal Jelly Tank Pad - Clear**K&S GT Style Composite Mirrors**Pro Taper Contour Bars(Carmichael Bend)**Bikemaster Aluminum race spools (these do not interfere with stock exhaust)**to be cont'd...

I did the same thing tonight to my z except i did 2 holes on each side. Then put a k&n in. Hoping to get some clear weather tomorrow to see how it runs .

I might do this when I perform my 1st service. Won't hurt anything.......let us know if you actually get anything out of it.
    "Brakes only slow you down"

2011 Kawi Ninja 1000
    2005 Kawi Z750S
    2009 Kawi Ninja 650
    2008 Suzuki M109
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2003 Yama Vstar 1100

Definitely more intake growl... I'll report to see how Auto Tune reacts to it.

Lou
    [2011 Ninja 1000 Black] [12v Plug] [5000K HIDs] [GPS Mount] [PCV] [Auto Tune] [Full Muzzy Oval] [Modded Air Box] [Subthrottle Plates Removed] [Kleen Air Mod] [CNC Levers] [Givi Rack] [Fenda Extenda] [Muzzy Fender Eliminator] [Puig Screen] [Throttle Boss] [Symtec Heated Grips]

Wonder how lean is it gonna be?
    Does it make sense doing it on a stock bike?
    If yes do I need PCV?
    Deus Mortuus Est

Standard air filter, holes drilled, second flies removed = you will need a custom map to correct the A/F ratio.

First time I've seen that afr graph. Is that the "stock" tune? What pipe? Tons of variables with that graph.

I drilled the holes according to Ivan's tuning. I'm also running his map designed for the modified air box, full system, and removed sub throttle "butterflies."

A stock bike is "stock." Dont start messing with anything until you have the ability to alter fuel. I would not modify an air box with stock tune - the bike is lean enough to begin with thanks to EPA regulations

Lou

Excellent, thanx
    Just like I thought
    Will not touch nothing here
    Deus Mortuus Est

Quote Originally Posted by kevxtx View Post
    Standard air filter, holes drilled, second flies removed = you will need a custom map to correct the A/F ratio.

is this with stock exhaust? i guess im not that familiar with these graphs for the bikes cause is that considered too lean? its riding out 12.5 from 6k up, thats rich ? 13.5-14.5 in the lower rpm's doesnt seem that lean..ive seen dyno graphs with a pcv start out in the mid 14's in the lower rpm's?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlou View Post
    First time I've seen that afr graph. Is that the "stock" tune? What pipe? Tons of variables with that graph.

I drilled the holes according to Ivan's tuning. I'm also running his map designed for the modified air box, full system, and removed sub throttle "butterflies."

A stock bike is "stock." Dont start messing with anything until you have the ability to alter fuel. I would not modify an air box with stock tune - the bike is lean enough to begin with thanks to EPA regulations

Lou

Thanks for the advice Lou.
    "Brakes only slow you down"

2011 Kawi Ninja 1000
    2005 Kawi Z750S
    2009 Kawi Ninja 650
    2008 Suzuki M109
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2003 Yama Vstar 1100

My pleasure. Remember, I say "shouldn't" does not mean "can't." You "might" be able to run it, but you "might" melt your piston rings in the process... All to save $250 on fuel management? To each their own!

Lou

Ads