Logo

Sweetlou's DDM Tuning HID Install Tutorial (PIC HEAVY)

This is a discussion on Sweetlou's DDM Tuning HID Install Tutorial (PIC HEAVY) within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; First off, thank you to the other members who helped me with this install process. I installed two 5000K 35 watt HID bulbs and slim ...

Sweetlou's DDM Tuning HID Install Tutorial (PIC HEAVY)

First off, thank you to the other members who helped me with this install process. I installed two 5000K 35 watt HID bulbs and slim ballasts retaining the stock high beam/low beam circuits. You start the bike, you get low beam. Flick the high beam switch, you get high beam.

Here is a ton of information on HIDs and the general installation process

Second, this is not a how to. Rather, it is a tutorial to help you along the way. This is how I decided to do it. Is it right? Sorta. Could it be better? Probably. But it is good enough for me and looks clean, so here you go. These notes only apply to the DDM Tuning kit. I can not speak for wiring other kits.

Third off, this kit requires NO modification to the bike whatsoever.

1) No need for ebay (or any other) H7 adapters. The one I used didnt fit and I ended up breaking it. The adapters that come with the DDM tuning kit are close enough. Trim the spacer like the factory bulb you removed. Perfecto.

2) There is a set screw on the factory clip holding the bulb into the socket. Do not remove this set screw. There is no need - the clip can rotate under the screw. Plus, the screw will fall into the depths of your motorcycle never to be seen again.

3) Install your HID bulb first. When installing, tab on the HID bulb goes UP, not down. UP! You can tell when the bulb is seated properly by looking in through the front of the headlight... make sure the bulb is centered in the headlight! Like so:

4) Clip off the Red and Black DDM Tuning power lead male plugs and discard. Pull the red and black power leads out of the DDM Tuning rubber grommet. This makes life much easier. Rubber grommet fits perfectly in factory rubber cover. You pull out the power leads because the factory wiring harness is OUTSIDE the rubber seal, not inside, like DDM anticipated. By pulling the red and black wires out of the DDM rubber grommet, you have much more wire available.

The only wires coming through the DDM robber grommet and factory dust cover are the two thick black wires for the bulb... the other two red and black wires you are removing from the rubber grommet.

5) Buy new power lead plugs because you just clipped off your old ones!

6) Lots of electrical tape to insulate the power leads plugging into the factory wiring harness. Like so:

Then

7) Take the time to do it right. This area is highly exposed to water and road grim so make sure you seal the headlights up nice. I ended up placing the electrical plugs from the factory under the dashboard. It seems less likely to get wet here:

8) The last step is mounting the ballasts and assorted parts of the kit. I chose to mount the ballasts to the center metal rack that supports the dashboard. Plenty of room between the forks:

Finally, I mounted the hardware to the metal rod that runs across the bike under the dashboard. This tucked away all the components and kept them away from things they could rattle against:

Left side

Right side

I used zip ties to mount everything. Easier than cutting brackets and I didn't have to alter anything on the bike.

That is about it. Hopefully this can help someone in the future!

Lou
    Last edited by sweetlou; 03-15-12 at 10:23 AM.
    [2011 Ninja 1000 Black] [12v Plug] [5000K HIDs] [GPS Mount] [PCV] [Auto Tune] [Full Muzzy Oval] [Modded Air Box] [Subthrottle Plates Removed] [Kleen Air Mod] [CNC Levers] [Givi Rack] [Fenda Extenda] [Muzzy Fender Eliminator] [Puig Screen] [Throttle Boss] [Symtec Heated Grips]

[2004 KTM 525 EXC Supermotard - Street Legal]

[2009 KTM 250 XCW Plated 2-stroke]

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Awesome! I rode my new N1K from the dealership back to work over lunch today (giggle), and I'll probably do this mod over the weekend. Many thanks.
    Oh-12 N1K ABS in Spark Black/Micron Gray... 21,000 happy miles and counting | Blog at Planet Buhs | Fuelly
    T-Rex Racing sliders ~ 16-tooth front sprocket ~ Puig screen ~ The2Wheels levers ~ Angel GTs ~ Symtec grip heaters ~ Givi toprack and V46 case ~ Garmin Zuma 550 + Cardo Scala Rider Q2
    '02 Bandit 12S (sold after 10 years and 47,000 miles)
    'Busa shock ~ Racetech forks ~ Holeshot stage 1 & pipe ~ Hella headlights ~ CBRXX clipons
    '02 Honda XR50R

Sweet. Please let us know how the beam works at night. I've heard you can get strange patterns/splatter with the stock reflectors.

Lou, I have my fairings off and was looking over this project. I admit that your instructions have me confused, particularly at steps 4 and 5. What are you suggesting I cut? What do I have to buy? I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic at one point or another, but I'm buffaloed.

I'm going to take some good pics as I work and add to this later. I don't want to have to add any stupid mistakes to the thread, though. :-)
    Oh-12 N1K ABS in Spark Black/Micron Gray... 21,000 happy miles and counting | Blog at Planet Buhs | Fuelly
    T-Rex Racing sliders ~ 16-tooth front sprocket ~ Puig screen ~ The2Wheels levers ~ Angel GTs ~ Symtec grip heaters ~ Givi toprack and V46 case ~ Garmin Zuma 550 + Cardo Scala Rider Q2
    'Busa shock ~ Racetech forks ~ Holeshot stage 1 & pipe ~ Hella headlights ~ CBRXX clipons
    '02 Honda XR50R

I edited the steps. Hopefully it makes more sense.

Essentially, you remove the red and black power lead male clips from each HID bulb. Clip off the male plug and pull the red and black wire through the grommet. Then crimp on new male connectors and install into the factory plug. This lets you move the factory plug under the dashboard and helps keep road debris and water out of the connection.

The only wires coming through the DDM robber grommet and factory dust cover are the two thick black wires for the bulb... the other two red and black wires you are removing from the rubber grommet.

Lou
    [2011 Ninja 1000 Black] [12v Plug] [5000K HIDs] [GPS Mount] [PCV] [Auto Tune] [Full Muzzy Oval] [Modded Air Box] [Subthrottle Plates Removed] [Kleen Air Mod] [CNC Levers] [Givi Rack] [Fenda Extenda] [Muzzy Fender Eliminator] [Puig Screen] [Throttle Boss] [Symtec Heated Grips]

[2004 KTM 525 EXC Supermotard - Street Legal]

[2009 KTM 250 XCW Plated 2-stroke]

Thanks much.
    '02 Honda XR50R

So is this dual hid lows and highs once you turn them on?

No. You can't put two bulbs in one socket.
    '02 Honda XR50R

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyred94 View Post
    ... but I'm buffaloed.
    Buffaloed? That's a new one on me, please elaborate a bit.
    2011 Ninja 1000 --- THE GREEN NEENJA --- Detailed Mod List
    Akrapovic, BMC, Carrozzeria, DynoJet, EBC, Ermax, EvoTech, HealTech, Ivan's, Jet-Hot Coatings
    LightWerkz, MotoWerk, MRA, Ohlins, Pazzo, Powerbronze, R&G, Rizoma, Sargent, Sato, Scotts
    Servo Buddy, Shorai, Speedbleeders. Spencers, Spiegler, Tankslapper, Throttlemeister, TPO
    [Metric Motorcycles Tuned] [Air Box Mod] [Kleen Air Removed] [Subthrottle Plates Removed]

anyone with a z do the hid mod?? where are you guys putting the ballasts.
    2010 Z1000 Black & Silver (the faster one)
    **Custom Fender Eliminator**OES Frame Sliders**Puig Racing Dark Smoke Windscreen**DDM 5000k HID Setup**Dual Carbon Fiber Slip-ons**Symtec Heated Grips**ProGrip 699 Gel Grips**SpeedMetal Jelly Tank Pad - Clear**K&S GT Style Composite Mirrors**Pro Taper Contour Bars(Carmichael Bend)**Bikemaster Aluminum race spools (these do not interfere with stock exhaust)**to be cont'd...

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyred94 View Post
    No. You can't put two bulbs in one socket.
    No but with HIDs you can purchase Bi-Xenon lights which do both High and Low beams...

Making it possible.

Ads