Logo

Wheel removal 2011 Z1000

This is a discussion on Wheel removal 2011 Z1000 within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Anyone have a right up on the easiest way to remove the wheels? I can't seem to find my owners manual. Need to replace my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deroz

Thread: Wheel removal 2011 Z1000

Wheel removal 2011 Z1000

Anyone have a right up on the easiest way to remove the wheels? I can't seem to find my owners manual. Need to replace my tires and only have 1800 miles on them. The rear tire is already eating into the wear bars. If I take the wheels off and take them in, it's only $15 a wheel for mounting and balancing. Any help would be appreciated. I ask because it looks alot different than on my Ninja 650.
    KAWIKAKEKOA pronounced "Kah Vee Kah- Kay Koh Ah"

2011 Candy Lime Green Z1000
    2009 KLX 250sf
    2007 GSXR 600

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

ahem.. Looks different because of the awesome new chain adjuster.

Never removed the front, but if you remove the back and follow the manual, then make sure you tighten the chain adjuster bolts before you unscrew the axle. Otherwise, they will pop out of place and are a pain to put back. That is not in the manual .

$15 is a great deal. It cost my dad $40 a tire for his Goldwing at our local Honda dealer. Would have been $250+tires for them to also take the tires off. After his first change, my dad just decided to buy a Nomar tire changer since between him, my brother and I, we have a lot of tires to change for bikes and ATVs.
    gogoKawi likes this.

My turn for this. Wanted to change my tire later in the season. Screw thought I needed to do it earlier.
    ryan
    2010 Z1000

2003 Z1000 sold to someone in Austin. Did someone here buy my bike from a guy named Steve?

I just did it on mine. Put a new M3 metzeler on the rear.
    You need to remove those springs that cover the hex bolt. Both Sides.
    Than you hold with the left arm the left torx tool and unscrew the on the right side.
    Some people recommend removing the caliper, but you can remove it without scratching the rim.
    Should take about 20min. All tools are supplied in the stock tool kit.

If you don't want to deal with chain adjusting, just note the position of the adjusters. Or take a picture of their position.
    Last edited by MEPEH; 04-28-12 at 09:50 PM.
    Let it be PEACE
    My BLOG

Apparently mine had a bit of corrosion built up inside the axle sleeve. Took a long driver and hammer to get it out. The axle nut on the right side was stuck in there also. Had to remove the adjuster and lube it all to get it to let go. Insult to injury.
    ryan
    2010 Z1000

2003 Z1000 sold to someone in Austin. Did someone here buy my bike from a guy named Steve?

$15 is cheap for a mount and balance. I paid $25 at the local place.
    '11 Ninja 1000
    Fuelly

Quote Originally Posted by kawikakekoa View Post
    Anyone have a right up on the easiest way to remove the wheels? I can't seem to find my owners manual. Need to replace my tires and only have 1800 miles on them. The rear tire is already eating into the wear bars. If I take the wheels off and take them in, it's only $15 a wheel for mounting and balancing. Any help would be appreciated. I ask because it looks alot different than on my Ninja 650.
    was that on the stock tires you only got 1800 miles?? which ones were they?
    2010 Z1000 Black & Silver (the faster one)
    **Custom Fender Eliminator**OES Frame Sliders**Puig Racing Dark Smoke Windscreen**DDM 5000k HID Setup**Dual Carbon Fiber Slip-ons**Symtec Heated Grips**ProGrip 699 Gel Grips**SpeedMetal Jelly Tank Pad - Clear**K&S GT Style Composite Mirrors**Pro Taper Contour Bars(Carmichael Bend)**Bikemaster Aluminum race spools (these do not interfere with stock exhaust)**to be cont'd...

Boy she is tight. Is this left handed or right handed threads. I've tried both, but I'm afraid of torquing too much in the tightening direction.

Quote Originally Posted by schneidp20 View Post
    Boy she is tight. Is this left handed or right handed threads. I've tried both, but I'm afraid of torquing too much in the tightening direction.
    Normal threads...left loosy. Anyways, mine was also very tight. Make sure that you've got the allen screw(s) loosened first. I used my impact and the axle will unthread from the opposite fork.

Oh, that's for the front...rear is also lefty loosy.

Ydo
    Just did both mine. I recommend removing the brake calipers. It's a bear to remount (insert the axle and keep all the spacers from falling out) and you don't want to deal with the brakes then.

Ads