Logo

Best Suspension Settings for 2011 Ninja 1000?

This is a discussion on Best Suspension Settings for 2011 Ninja 1000? within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; I don't think there's a thread dedicated to best suspension settings for the 2011 N1k - so here it is. What are the best settings ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Squidlius

Thread: Best Suspension Settings for 2011 Ninja 1000?

Best Suspension Settings for 2011 Ninja 1000?

I don't think there's a thread dedicated to best suspension settings for the 2011 N1k - so here it is. What are the best settings for folk of different weights/heights for different applications (track days, touring etc)? I've been reluctant to adjust from stock until I learn from riders that know how to set-up the bike. Thanks

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

First thing I do with a new bike is go to a pro and have them set up the bike and/or rebuild the shocks/forks to suit my type of riding and body. Will do it with every bike I ever buy and I factor it into the purchase price.

Take it over to MSP. I had them set up the suspension on my N1K and the difference was noticeable! Having the suspension dialed in and going to a taller rear tire made a night and day difference on my bike. MSP set the sag and compression/rebound based on my weight and riding style. Best $50 I've spent in a long time! I actually drug the pegs on Hwy 28 just North of Franklin, NC for the first time yesterday

http://www.mspcycle.com/
    2011 Ninja 1000 Custom Paint - Ivan's complete performance package with dual CF Akra's, Traxxion Dynamics front and Penske rear suspension, R&G frame sliders, R&G engine covers, R&G radiator guard, EVO-Tech tail tidy, Pazzo Levers, Double Bubble screen ... Love this bike

Quote Originally Posted by quick66 View Post
    Take it over to MSP. I had them set up the suspension on my N1K and the difference was noticeable! Having the suspension dialed in and going to a taller rear tire made a night and day difference on my bike. MSP set the sag and compression/rebound based on my weight and riding style. Best $50 I've spent in a long time! I actually drug the pegs on Hwy 28 just North of Franklin, NC for the first time yesterday

http://www.mspcycle.com/
    good advice - i'll do that. i tried making it to blood mt on Saturday but the traffic was too much up 400. So, I explored highway 9 and the country roads west of 400. Those look to be a better back route to 19 when 400 is crowded.

Just had my suspension baselined by a pro. It's amazingly better! If you're in metro-Atlanta area, I highly recommend Opie Caylor of "Caylor-Made Motorsports" (770-973-9339) - near Marietta. He walked me through the whole process of why he was making what adjustments, tire pressure etc. The bike is so much better!

Has anyone changed the springs in the forks? My bike suddenly drops like a rock when leaning at low speeds and does not want to stay steady throughout the turn. I will be taking it to the suspension guru, Dave Moss in San Carlos California this next week for at least a suspension setup but am wondering if any folks found that they needed to change the springs or valving? I may want to have him change out springs/valving at the same time if this is a known issue and springs can help.
    2012 N1k

not me - once i had Caylor-Made set it up, it's been great as far as i can tell

Pick up "Total Control" by Lee Parks. He has a section on setting up Race Sag (static sag). Once you get that set up it is just a matter of dialing in rebound damping to suit your riding style.
    I believe it is better to be seen than to be heard. Remember, they give out licenses to deaf people, but not blind people.
    Hi Viz and Lights are better than loud pipes.

as long as the spring rates are close to what is needed..... I believe that is
    CUSTOM METALLIC BURNT CANDY ORANGE and BLACK 2010 Z1000 :0)

FMF APEX slipon exhaust, CRG Arrows W/ RS CUSTOM barends, Blue CoreMoto SS brake lines, Pazzo Smoke Shorty Levers, Custom LED Intergrated Taillight, XenTec 35W HID's ( 5000K Bulbs ), OES Frame Sliders, Baldwin pillion seat, Keiti Tank Pad, Tech Spec C3 Tank Grips, swing arm spools

Quote Originally Posted by czeeb View Post
    Has anyone changed the springs in the forks? My bike suddenly drops like a rock when leaning at low speeds and does not want to stay steady throughout the turn. I will be taking it to the suspension guru, Dave Moss in San Carlos California this next week for at least a suspension setup but am wondering if any folks found that they needed to change the springs or valving? I may want to have him change out springs/valving at the same time if this is a known issue and springs can help.
    How much do you weigh? If you're over 190 and haven't seen Dave yet you could try dialing in two turns of front spring preload and 3/4 of a turn of rebound to see how it feels. Maybe a half a turn of compression after that if it still feels soft.

edit: I just re-read your post. The drop at slow speed could be the front end flop that requires a lot of countersteer to correct that the Ninja suffers from, especially after the stock rear tire is more than halfway gone. A 55 series rear tire and 36+ psi helps this tremendously.
    Last edited by Squidlius; 01-11-12 at 11:04 AM.
    agN1k likes this.

Ads