Logo

Givi PLX/SW-MOTECH side carriers comparison

This is a discussion on Givi PLX/SW-MOTECH side carriers comparison within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; I installed SW-MOTECH rack for my Givi V35 (thanks to 12345hawkeye for the bargain). I feel they could have done a better job keeping the ...

Givi PLX/SW-MOTECH side carriers comparison

I installed SW-MOTECH rack for my Givi V35 (thanks to 12345hawkeye for the bargain). I feel they could have done a better job keeping the cases closer to the bike. Does anyone have a picture with the GIVI rack from behind. I would like to see if with the givi rack the bags are closer to the bike. It just seems that there is too much space between the bike and the bags. Thanks.
    MSF Rider Coach
    09 FZ6R
    11 Ninja 1000

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

anyone yet.
    MSF Rider Coach
    09 FZ6R
    11 Ninja 1000

Here ya go.

Sorry for the crap pics. The bike is parked while I put some miles on other bikes and I didn't want to bother to pull the cover off and pull it out of the garage.

Did you import the Givi mounts? Or did you get them from Revzilla? They told me that they would offer them in the US at the end of August, but Revzilla is the only place I can find them, and they don't offer the kit to use them without the top rack.

Quote Originally Posted by deroz View Post
    Did you import the Givi mounts? Or did you get them from Revzilla? They told me that they would offer them in the US at the end of August, but Revzilla is the only place I can find them, and they don't offer the kit to use them without the top rack.
    I ordered them directly from Givi USA in May. Givi said I was the second order they had at the time. They arrived in early August unfortunately while I was away on a 3000+ mile ride out west, but fortunately in time for a 2000 mile ride around Lake Superior.

Well that's cool. Mind if I ask how much it ran you for the mounts? I wonder why they aren't updating their site

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    Here ya go.

Sorry for the crap pics. The bike is parked while I put some miles on other bikes and I didn't want to bother to pull the cover off and pull it out of the garage.
    Thanks it is exactly what I wanted to see. It seems like they are about the same as my SW-MOTECH rack for spacing. I still wish they would be closer to the bike. Thanks again.
    MSF Rider Coach
    09 FZ6R
    11 Ninja 1000

Quote Originally Posted by deroz View Post
    Well that's cool. Mind if I ask how much it ran you for the mounts? I wonder why they aren't updating their site
    As I recollect they were $330. About $100 more than the SW-Motech mounts and $200 less than the Kawasaki factory mounts.

I paid the premium over the SW-Motech mounts because I had 3 long trips planned and from the delivery times quoted by Twisted Throttle, it was clear the mounts wouldn't arrive in time for any of the trips. As it was, the Givi mounts arrived the day after I left on my second planned trip.

Quote Originally Posted by llervero View Post
    Thanks it is exactly what I wanted to see. It seems like they are about the same as my SW-MOTECH rack for spacing. I still wish they would be closer to the bike. Thanks again.
    I haven't seen a set of the SW-Motech mounts, but as best I can tell the Givis are probably a 1/2 inch to a full inch closer to the bike. The replacement grab handles that come with the Givis are thinner and mount closer to the bike since they mount solidly. The actual bag mounts sit about 1/2 inch off the grab rails. Since the SW-Motech mounts utilize mounting points directly off the stock grab bars it is unlikely they sit as close as the Givi mounts.

Ads