Logo

how to remove fairing

This is a discussion on how to remove fairing within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; ok ... pretty basic question... and am feeling a little dumb so be gentle--- I need to remover the fairing on my new z1000sx to ...

how to remove fairing

ok ... pretty basic question... and am feeling a little dumb so be gentle--- I need to remover the fairing on my new z1000sx to instal some crash protection -- r&g engine case covers, aero frame sliders, radiator guard...
    in the fading light last night I began to look at the "fairing puzzle" that is remove this first... and was stumped... I have other Kawis --- '08 versys and 09 concorse14abs and have had on problem with the fairing puzzle on either of these... can anyone help?

There also seem to be a lot of plastic push rivets any ideas on sources for these... i think i will replace some with low profile SS fasteners but some go into blind spots where there seems to be no other choice...

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Going from memory here but it should get you there:

Remove the plastic piece under the instrument cluster (4 allens).

Remove the two large and one small allen bolts from the left side panel. On the right side you also have the metal piece on the bottom that hides the exhaust.

Lift up the centers with a flat blade to release the two plastic fasteners on the lower chin behind the front tire and they slide out.

Pop in the centers with an awl or small screwdriver and use your fingernail to remove the small plastic fasteners (5) on the inside fairing panels.

Check carefully but the only things left should be the fairing prongs that press into the rubber receptacles on the bike.

Gently pull those free and then be careful not to break the tabs where the lower fairing joins the upper fairing around the head lights. You'll need to carefully pull the bottom of the side panels away from the bike a bit and then slide the lower panels back and away from the top fairing. After it's free, reach in and disconnect the turn signal.
    Last edited by Squidlius; 06-11-11 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks,... dug in earlier and logic lead me through... light and a lots of patience helped... thanks for the detailed response...

Ads