Logo

Airbox mod

This is a discussion on Airbox mod within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; interesting.....Ivan leaves the base chamber cover in place?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Airbox mod

interesting.....Ivan leaves the base chamber cover in place?

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Quote Originally Posted by miykl View Post
    interesting.....Ivan leaves the base chamber cover in place?
    I guess... never done one myself.
    Sorry I realize that's a bit of a useless answer.. but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring your question

cheers.
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

Have you felt any changes or has anyone done a dyno run after doing this? I understand getting more air is always a good thing, but I wonder if it actually affects the performance.

Ivan has dyno'd his bikes after the airbox mod above, I believe with gains of 2hp. I have not had my bike tested. Although; there was a noticable difference in power and sound.
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

And you only see gains if you have a full exhaust and fuel module.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

Hello Every one

I couldnt find any tread about the secondaries so since this one is on the air box i figure i ask a a few question. Last night i finally took my bike apart because it kept dying on me and riding very rough. i knew it had to do with fuel or the PCV since i just had it dyno 2 weeks ago. i took it to the shop 3 times and he kept giving me attitude that in 35 years of building racing bikes he never had one come back. i finally got tired of wasting gas, since he is 30 min away, and took the bike apart. double check everything since i had the PCV, FCE, air box mod done at a different shop about 8 months ago. i install the exaust my self since i like taking things apart. I finally found two wires in the FCE connection that werent making full contact. I had the two extra male conectors and strip the wires and crimp them myself. I notice the shop had done a poor job on making those connections so i continue and check all of them. while putting everything back together i notice the secondaries were still there, even though when it was supopose to be done with the airbox mod. So i removed them and put everything back and bike seem to be working fine up to now. Havent being able to test drive it much today probably over the weekend i will go to see if the problems was resolved. im assuming while i had it dyno the shop (the one of two weeks ago) owner said he had to moves some wires since the PCV was install wrong problably moved some wires with the FCE and the crimp became loose since it wasnt done correctly. but i will never know but i hope my work fix my problem and im never going back to either of those two places. esepecially this last one since he had a really bad attitude when i was respectful and just saying the bike wasnt running like that before and now it does so i wanted to know why.

So after this long and boring story of my 6 hour job last night ( im sorry) i wanted to ask what the point in removing the secondaries??? i took them off since it was part of the mods but i couldnt figure out the purpose or them.

Thank you every one for your time.
    LUCKY 13 -- 4-2-1 Akro Exhaust with Ivan Performance- PCV -TRE-BMC Air Filter-MRA DB WindScreen-Sato Racing Front, Body Sliders and Rear Hooks With Pitbull Stand-Sato Racing Oil Filler Plug-Gold Tip Oil Drain Plug-R&G Radiator Cover-Targa Fender Eliminator Kit-LED Strips Body light-TechSpec Snake skin Tank Protector - Shorai Battery - PowerBronze Hugger - Rizoma Chain Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13jc View Post
    Hello Every one

I couldnt find any tread about the secondaries so since this one is on the air box i figure i ask a a few question. Last night i finally took my bike apart because it kept dying on me and riding very rough. i knew it had to do with fuel or the PCV since i just had it dyno 2 weeks ago. i took it to the shop 3 times and he kept giving me attitude that in 35 years of building racing bikes he never had one come back. i finally got tired of wasting gas, since he is 30 min away, and took the bike apart. double check everything since i had the PCV, FCE, air box mod done at a different shop about 8 months ago. i install the exaust my self since i like taking things apart. I finally found two wires in the FCE connection that werent making full contact. I had the two extra male conectors and strip the wires and crimp them myself. I notice the shop had done a poor job on making those connections so i continue and check all of them. while putting everything back together i notice the secondaries were still there, even though when it was supopose to be done with the airbox mod. So i removed them and put everything back and bike seem to be working fine up to now. Havent being able to test drive it much today probably over the weekend i will go to see if the problems was resolved. im assuming while i had it dyno the shop (the one of two weeks ago) owner said he had to moves some wires since the PCV was install wrong problably moved some wires with the FCE and the crimp became loose since it wasnt done correctly. but i will never know but i hope my work fix my problem and im never going back to either of those two places. esepecially this last one since he had a really bad attitude when i was respectful and just saying the bike wasnt running like that before and now it does so i wanted to know why.

So after this long and boring story of my 6 hour job last night ( im sorry) i wanted to ask what the point in removing the secondaries??? i took them off since it was part of the mods but i couldnt figure out the purpose or them.

Thank you every one for your time.
    Glad you got the bike sorted out!

My belief is that the secondaries are there to prevent you from opening the throttle to quickly, to smooth out the power delivery and to reduce intake noise. The primary plates and attached to your right wrist and the secondaries are computer controlled. If one were to whack the throttle wide open too quickly on a bike with just primary plates, it could drown the engine with air causing a bad bog condition. Since the secondary plates are computer controlled, they open at a slower rate to prevent the ham fisted from drowning the engine.

Once you free up the exhaust, a lot of Kawasakis (this one in particular) can handle the extra air and make more power on the bottom and midrange without the secondaries. On these bikes the secondaries just soften the power delivery and reduce intake noise for EPA requirements.
    Last edited by Squidlius; 11-28-12 at 04:36 PM.
    JonTheChron and tony45x220 like this.
    2011 Ninja 1000 :: Fastest Color :: Akrapovic 4-2-1 :: Sub Throttle Plates Removed :: PAIR Blocked :: Airbox Mod :: PCV :: Pit Bull Swingarm Spools :: Fuzeblocks Power Distribution :: Gerbing Hookup :: Battery Tender Hookup :: Tank Slapper :: Zero Gravity Double Bubble :: RAM Mounts :: Bags Connection Powered Tank Bag :: RKA & Ventura Tail Bags :: Sargent/Squidlius Maximus Seat

I think Squidlius summed it up well. They are there to smooth throttle response mainly.
    2011 Ninja 1000 - 2012 Ducati Panigale ABS - 2013 BMW 1600GT

Quote Originally Posted by Squidlius View Post
    Glad you got the bike sorted out!

My belief is that the secondaries are there to prevent you from opening the throttle to quickly, to smooth out the power delivery and to reduce intake noise. The primary plates and attached to your right wrist and the secondaries are computer controlled. If one were to whack the throttle wide open too quickly on a bike with just primary plates, it could drown the engine with air causing a bad bog condition. Since the secondary plates are computer controlled, they open at a slower rate to prevent the ham fisted from drowning the engine.

Once you free up the exhaust, a lot of Kawasakis (this one in particular) can handle the extra air and make more power on the bottom and midrange without the secondaries. On these bikes the secondaries just soften the power delivery and reduce intake noise for EPA requirements.
    thanks Squid that makes alot of sense now that you explain it. so now on the low end i will have a faster response when lets say i open it up really fast?? and before i took them off power wheelies weren't that hard so im assuming now i have to be more careful????
    LUCKY 13 -- 4-2-1 Akro Exhaust with Ivan Performance- PCV -TRE-BMC Air Filter-MRA DB WindScreen-Sato Racing Front, Body Sliders and Rear Hooks With Pitbull Stand-Sato Racing Oil Filler Plug-Gold Tip Oil Drain Plug-R&G Radiator Cover-Targa Fender Eliminator Kit-LED Strips Body light-TechSpec Snake skin Tank Protector - Shorai Battery - PowerBronze Hugger - Rizoma Chain Guard.

I've not removed the butterflies on my Ninja, but it turned the Concours 14 into something that felt like a 1400 vs the stock bike. On the 14, they were used to restrict low end power.....maybe emissions related, or noise, but no one is saying. On that specific bike, it was a night and day difference. For the good. Throttle response was even better once they were gone. The bike did need a fuel remap when they were removed.

From riding the Ninja, its strong down low as is. I dont feel like the mod will be as drastic as it was in the 14. As far as a low end bog, the 14 will raise its front wheel if the throttle is turned wide open..no bogging.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13jc View Post
    thanks Squid that makes alot of sense now that you explain it. so now on the low end i will have a faster response when lets say i open it up really fast?? and before i took them off power wheelies weren't that hard so im assuming now i have to be more careful????
    Yes, with the flies removed it starts to pull noticeably harder from 3500 at just about any throttle setting.

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
    I've not removed the butterflies on my Ninja, but it turned the Concours 14 into something that felt like a 1400 vs the stock bike. On the 14, they were used to restrict low end power.....maybe emissions related, or noise, but no one is saying. On that specific bike, it was a night and day difference. For the good. Throttle response was even better once they were gone. The bike did need a fuel remap when they were removed.

From riding the Ninja, its strong down low as is. I dont feel like the mod will be as drastic as it was in the 14. As far as a low end bog, the 14 will raise its front wheel if the throttle is turned wide open..no bogging.
    Yep, big Kawis love and have a big appetite for A/F.

That's one of the nice benefits of Ivan's FCE, not only does it eliminate the fuel cut but it also opens the secondaries sooner adding low and midrange power without having to pull the flies.

That's one of the nice benefits of Ivan's FCE, not only does it eliminate the fuel cut but it also opens the secondaries sooner adding low and midrange power without having to pull the flies.
    I had not heard that before. Very interesting.
    2011 Ninja 1000 - 2012 Ducati Panigale ABS - 2013 BMW 1600GT

Now that you mention it, yes..I felt that too after the fce. I thought I was imagining things, or just appreciating the higher rpm feel. Ivan did set me up to add the pcv, drill the airbox, and add the bmc filter. This package also included removing the secondaries. He said it will run great with his map, even with my Leo Vince slip on. Its getting cold enough here that I might have to wait for an install and test, but it gives me something to look forward to.
    Last edited by rcannon409; 11-28-12 at 08:33 PM.

These Ninjas work best without the secondaries but other bikes that bog a little easier when you whack the throttle (like Gen II FZ1s) run best with modified (smaller) flies and Ivan's FCE to open them sooner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads