Logo

Z1000 HP vs Ninja 1000 HP

This is a discussion on Z1000 HP vs Ninja 1000 HP within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; I just saw this on Motorcycle.com, just wanted to let everyone know. I also found out that the Ninja 1000 is electronically restricted to an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z1000 HP vs Ninja 1000 HP

I just saw this on Motorcycle.com, just wanted to let everyone know. I also found out that the Ninja 1000 is electronically restricted to an undisclosed top speed. I must find a way to fix this minor issue.

Thanks

During a trip to the dyno Kevin noticed that a Ninja 1000 (which has a different airbox than the Z) tested on the same day as the Z1000 cranked out a couple more horsepower from 9000 rpm to the 10,500-rpm rev limit.

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Is the Ninja 1000 Geared Differently?? Because I'm pretty sure the Z1000 is gonna top out (I haven't ridden this quickly) at a theoretical 155mph due to the gearing. This would be under basically optimal conditions w/ the wind at your back and in a full tuck...

Can't imagine the Ninja, given it's closeness to the Z would even need an electronic top speed restrictor... It's never gonna make it to 180mph w/ the stock gearing.
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000 - Akrapovic CF Race Exhaust System, DynoJet PC-V, Puig Screen, Tomok Billet Mirror, Pazzo Long Racing Levers, OEM Seat Cowl, OES Sliders, Krayzie Gfx Reflective Striping

It has 1 tooth less in the rear

2011 Ninja 1000-- Up for sale
    Sale Thread

Ahh good to note... So with 1 less in the back, you're looking at a 3mph difference (upward) for the Ninja.

Z1000: 154.8mph with 15/42 at 11,000rpm.
    Ninja 1000: 158 mph with 15/41 at 11,000rpm... Can't see why they'd be limiting the speed electronically at all.
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000 - Akrapovic CF Race Exhaust System, DynoJet PC-V, Puig Screen, Tomok Billet Mirror, Pazzo Long Racing Levers, OEM Seat Cowl, OES Sliders, Krayzie Gfx Reflective Striping

Not sure why myself ... just thought I would put the info out.

Yeah, thanks for sharing... It's always interesting to find other minute differences between these bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DLRZJ View Post
    I just saw this on Motorcycle.com, just wanted to let everyone know. I also found out that the Ninja 1000 is electronically restricted to an undisclosed top speed. I must find a way to fix this minor issue.

Thanks

During a trip to the dyno Kevin noticed that a Ninja 1000 (which has a different airbox than the Z) tested on the same day as the Z1000 cranked out a couple more horsepower from 9000 rpm to the 10,500-rpm rev limit.
    He might have seen that much difference in 2 Zs tested side by side with production differences. Could also have been how they were broken in. Break them in too gently and they won't make as much power. I've seen 5hp differences in identical models.

Even though the Z is supposed to have a bigger airbox and shorther gearing, the Ninja beats it in the quarter mile and in top speed. The full bodywork makes a big difference in performance.

I think the Ninja's speed limiter is the rev limiter. The Z won't get there due to aerodynamics but the Ninja will easily run right up to and bounce off the rev limiter.
    Last edited by Squidlius; 05-06-11 at 12:20 PM.

I took the below text from the MCN test on the Ninja 1K:

"Interestingly, the Ninja’s final drive gearing has been changed vs.
    the Z1000. A 41T final drive sprocket replaces the Z’s 42T final
    gear and might be expected to reduce acceleration slightly in
    favor of more relaxed cruising speeds. But our testing found just
    the opposite. Quarter-mile times actually dropped from the
    Z1000’s best of 10.64 to 10.50 secs. and its zero-to 100 mph time
    dropped from 6.45 secs to 6.28 secs.—this in spite of an 18 lb.
    weight gain due to the Ninja’s extra bodywork (from 480 lbs.
    wet to 498), and a tiny decrease in both dyno-tested power and
    torque (.69 hp and 1.06 lb.-ft.) compared to the Z1000."

They also got a top speed of 152.8 on the Ninja but don't say if it's drag limited or governed, with the wind, against the wind, etc. I doubt the Z will get close to that with no bodywork to slice through the air.

I don't think anyone can say the Z produces more power based on this comparison as random cause variation is likely to account for more than a .69 hp difference from bike to bike. As Squidilis said, 2 identical bikes that rolled off the factory conveyor back to back are likely to have a greater variation than that.

try gearing commander

for ratios and speed. http://www.gearingcommander.com/
    AKRA FULL RACE Ti DYNOJET PCV IVAN'S PERF. ECU REFLASH - AIRBOX MOD BMC FILTER, 15/43 GEARING, BLOCK OFF PLATES SATO BLK REARSETS,
    HYPERPRO STEERING DAMPER PAZZ0 SHORTIES RIZOMA FAT BAR, GRIPS, BAR ENDS, FRNT/REAR BRAKE RESV, EXHAUST HANGER, CHAIN GUARD CRG BARENDS
    POWERBRONZE CARBON FIBRE BELLYPAN & HUGGER EVOTECH RAD GUARD & TAIL TIDY

MY Z1000 FREAKIN' RULEZ
    TRACK TOUR (1250KM/776mi LONGEST DAY) HOOLIGAN 24/7

If you read the article, the z they tested in 2010 was 4 hp more than the one they tested for this test. This proves what everyone is say. Also environmental conditions play a large part in dyne runs. Synod are great for seeing dips in powerband but for peak horsepower they are more like guidelines than definite numbers

Sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jdgreenberg View Post
    ... runs. Synod are ...
    Synod? You got some sort of dyslexia going on JD?
    2011 Ninja 1000 --- THE GREEN NEENJA --- Detailed Mod List
    Akrapovic, BMC, Carrozzeria, DynoJet, EBC, Ermax, EvoTech, HealTech, Ivan's, Jet-Hot Coatings
    LightWerkz, MotoWerk, MRA, Ohlins, Pazzo, Powerbronze, R&G, Rizoma, Sargent, Sato, Scotts
    Servo Buddy, Shorai, Speedbleeders. Spencers, Spiegler, Tankslapper, Throttlemeister, TPO
    [Metric Motorcycles Tuned] [Air Box Mod] [Kleen Air Removed] [Subthrottle Plates Removed]

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Synod? You got some sort of dyslexia going on JD?
    Apple knows what I want to type better than I do. Stoopid iPad auto text

Sale Thread

i read recently in cycle world magazine, that the ninja 1000 is electronically limited to 100hp, in the usa. they went on to say that the z1000 wasn't, because the lack of a full fairing would limit top speed by itself. maybe they did it for insurance reasons, or to separate the ninja 1000 from the zx10r, in performance specs....tomp

Well, mine just did well over 100 HP on the dyno, and that was measured at the wheel, so any info about an electronically limited 100 HP is incorrect.
    2011 Ninja 1000 --- THE GREEN NEENJA --- Detailed Mod List
    Akrapovic, BMC, Carrozzeria, DynoJet, EBC, Ermax, EvoTech, HealTech, Ivan's, Jet-Hot Coatings
    LightWerkz, MotoWerk, MRA, Ohlins, Pazzo, Powerbronze, R&G, Rizoma, Sargent, Sato, Scotts
    Servo Buddy, Shorai, Speedbleeders. Spencers, Spiegler, Tankslapper, Throttlemeister, TPO
    [Metric Motorcycles Tuned] [Air Box Mod] [Kleen Air Removed] [Subthrottle Plates Removed]

Quote Originally Posted by Squidlius View Post
    The Z won't get there due to aerodynamics but the Ninja will easily run right up to and bounce off the rev limiter.
    Take my word for it. It will get there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads