Logo

Catalyst removal

This is a discussion on Catalyst removal within the 3rd Gen Z1000/Z1000SX/Ninja 1000 forums, part of the Kawasaki Z1000, Ninja 1000, Z750 & Z-750S category; Has anyone done a catalyst removal on the 3rd Gen Z1000? If so how much power did you gain? For now anyways I'm thinking of ...

Catalyst removal

Has anyone done a catalyst removal on the 3rd Gen Z1000? If so how much power did you gain?
    For now anyways I'm thinking of removing the cat and just put on some exhaust tips on the muffler chamber to see if there is any power gains. Can't afford a complete exhaust system but if i can gain say 10 hp then its a cheap power gain.

I have a pc V coming with the auto tune so i might try this to see if there is a noticeable gain here.
    2010 Z1000 black & Grey

2. # ADS

Welcome to the largest Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum on the web.
    Registers users do not see these ads, register today - it's free!

Be aware your exhaust may stink if you do that. On my '06 FZ1 it's noticeable.

Well good to know thanks 510danr
    2010 Z1000 black & Grey

OK I took the exhaust system off and cut the header and can apart.
    There is 3 honeycomb cat pieces between the so called muffler and header assembly. 1 piece is right at the collector and is about 3 inches long. about half way from the can and collector there is another piece about 2 inches long and the right at the muffler intake the is another piece about 2 inches long. I then welded it back together and removed the side chambers exhaust and replaced them with 2 exhaust tips. Actually these tips don't look bad. Sound is louder and deeper then the stock sound but not overly loud. The whole process took maybe 2 hours to complete. Won't take it for a test ride till the PCv is installed maybe later this week. Still in transit somewhere. Should be here by the weekend i hope.
    2010 Z1000 black & Grey

Did you take any pics?

Between the cat removal and the cheap tips I tossed on....I saw about 5hp on the dyno at Seacoast Sport Cycle (not really a big difference for the effort)...but that was before I removed the secondaries and started screwing with the airbox. Dunno what the total increase would be since I welded the bung in and use the bazzaz wideband. I'll have to swing back down there when I'm not flying everywhere. I think the akrapovic race system does a better job obviously from larger primary tubes and smoother radius. Also being resonance tuned as a complete system, it does a better job at scavenging the combustion chamber during valve overlap by not having a muffler with baffles and chambers to restrict flow.
    2010 Z1000
    Cat delete, Air Box Mod,
    Secondaries Delete, Bazzaz FiTC,
    Autozone Slip-Ons
    Exhaust Post:
    http://www.riderforums.com/showthrea...t=56996&page=6

You say you netted about 5 hp gain before the secondaries removal. How much do you think you gained after you removed the side secondaries? Also what mod did you do to the airbox. I have something in mind but have yet to decide if I am gona do it. I'm hoping for about a 10 hp gain and if i achieve that then that's all i would like................... for now that is
    2010 Z1000 black & Grey

Quote Originally Posted by briandublanko View Post
    You say you netted about 5 hp gain before the secondaries removal. How much do you think you gained after you removed the side secondaries? Also what mod did you do to the airbox. I have something in mind but have yet to decide if I am gona do it. I'm hoping for about a 10 hp gain and if i achieve that then that's all i would like................... for now that is
    Secondaries removal add a good bite from 2200rpm about 5ftlbs of tq just after 2600rpm and up to 2hp and varies throughout the pull. The biggest difference is the low end with the added tq/hp earlier in the revs...before when you whacked the throttle...there was a slight delay...were it almost falls on it's face. This is due to the secondaries not responding as fast as your hand input...and the other fact is the secondaries do not open 100% in the throttle body due to the close proximity to the main throttle butterflies. I'm working on machining plugs and removing the secondary throttle shaft for a smooth transition to the mains. I figure if I eliminate the turbulence induced by the remaining secondary shaft, you can make more power by having a better formed pressure wave entering the TB's

The "airbox mod" is just removing the baffle that sits down in the airbox....you dont really see anything until around upper revs (.5 to 1.5hp)......larger plenum volume and removing a restriction once again...although it does feel snappier down low even more so after the secondaries removal...maybe it's in my head?:P

Rule is, the straighter the better...by removing directional changes a medium (Air or Fluid) has to make from point A to B...less friction/more volume This will all change with the full akra system...but for now it's definitely a better ride! So maybe 8ish hp and around 5ish tq...nothing to write home about...but it's a start.
    2010 Z1000
    Cat delete, Air Box Mod,
    Secondaries Delete, Bazzaz FiTC,
    Autozone Slip-Ons
    Exhaust Post:
    http://www.riderforums.com/showthrea...t=56996&page=6

OK power commander V and auto tune came and i have set everything up.
    Here are all the mods i have done to my bike.

1. CAt removal and side exhaust case and replaced with tips
    2. Airbox mod (just removed the baffle inside like radibandit did.)
    3. power commamder V with Auto tune.
    4. secondary throttle flies removed.
    5. Cold air intake converted to ram air. Pictures to follow later on this.
    6. waiting for a K&N filter.
    Bike is much more responsive now in all ranges. I am at 2500 ft above sea-level so I am at a 5 to 7.5% performance disadvantage to those of you who are at SL to 750ft.

In stock form my bike would never pick up the front end in 1rst gear unless you were pinned and aprroching 6000 rpm then the front would pick up. Now in 1 st gear any rev over 2000 will pick up the front end and sometimes 2 nd gear it will pick up. Never would pick up before the mods in 2 nd gear.

The ram-air really starts to make a big difference in the higher end of 3rd gear and 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. With ramair I am using the power commander V with maps for every gear with the autotune trimming the base map i setup in each gear.

Top end in stock form would be around 237 kph and odd time could get up to 240 kph on speedo.
    Now with all the mods i have hit 256 on speedo and rev-limiter cuts in at 256. So this bike is capable of more speed if i change gears.

Every map for the different gears is slightly different from one another..

I started out with the stock Z1000 map and let the auto-tune trim the numbers. Only put on 20 miles or so so there is lots of auto tuning to be done yet so I hope i can still see more improvements.
    Last edited by briandublanko; 05-10-11 at 10:08 PM.
    2010 Z1000 black & Grey

When you say Cat removal, you mean that you had it cut out?

Yes . what i did was cut the pipe between the header and muffler chamber and removed the 3 cat elements in there then welded it together again.
    2010 Z1000 black & Grey

Ads