RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Is this a good deal??

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  fade 
#1 ·
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so pardon any "inapropriate" or "dumb" question.

After reading and reading here I changed my mind from a Z1000 to a ZRX1200R (especially after the tankslapper comments on the Z1000).

I'm about to purchase a ZRX1200R year 2001 with 2,000 miles with a Corbin seat for US$5,3K

What do you guys think about it? Owner says it never got dropped or anything. I found a 2002 NEW (as in 0 miles - yeah believe it or not) for $7k + tax + fees, etc. but ended up deciding for the 2001 with the 2k miles.

Did I do good?

Thanks for all the help and comments.

Mean Streak
Vulcan 750

#2 ·
What makes you think that you're less likely to have a tankslapper on a ZRX than a Z1000? The stories have been blown way out of proportion. Headshake, yes, but name one sport bike with aggressive geometry and no steering damperthat won't experience headshake if given the proper conditions. NOTE: I so far haven't experienced any headshake; The Zed had felt a little light in the front until I tweaked preload, but I never felt out of control. The ease of flickability is what I like the best about the beast. You're alright as long as you don't do the wrong things to induce headshake, and eventually the slapper.

With all due respect to Tom Bozeman, I think you blew it.

Of course, I'm probably a little bit biased. But the rest here know that :rolleyes:

#3 ·
Hi Zed.

I read many of your posts here and I found them instructive. You're in Central FL, right? I live here in Orlando.

Anyway, I thought the ZRX would be a "safer" ride. Perhaps my lack of experience betrayed me...

I ride motorcycles for only 4 months now. I've been riding a Mean Streak and it feels very solid (front wise) but I know it's a different animal.

When you say "you blew it" I guess you're talking about the choice. How about the price, year, mileage?

I test drove a Z1000 and I loved it epecially because it felt so much lighter than my current ride. I was ready to pull the trigger on a new Orange one and I was going to try $8k out the door.

I've been dwelling on it for a while: Z1000 vs. ZRX1200R and now you got me thinking again...

Uhm....

Thanks for the comments!

#4 ·
jojo said:
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post so pardon any "inapropriate" or "dumb" question.

After reading and reading here I changed my mind from a Z1000 to a ZRX1200R (especially after the tankslapper comments on the Z1000).

I'm about to purchase a ZRX1200R year 2001 with 2,000 miles with a Corbin seat for US$5,3K

What do you guys think about it? Owner says it never got dropped or anything. I found a 2002 NEW (as in 0 miles - yeah believe it or not) for $7k + tax + fees, etc. but ended up deciding for the 2001 with the 2k miles.

Did I do good?

Thanks for all the help and comments.

Mean Streak
Vulcan 750
You did good JoJo. If I were to sell my Black '01 ZRX with 5,000 miles on it with Corbin seat and Yoshimura titanium slip on and a bunch of other goodies, I'd ask at least $5,500 if not a little more. It is (with out a shadow of a doubt) a great machine and is stable as it can be (probably because of it's weight) but you don't notice that at "hooligan" speeds and twisties riding. And welcome to the ZRX crowd. Tom :D

#5 · (Edited)
Zed Kilo said:
With all due respect to Tom Bozeman, I think you blew it.

Pardon me, but I don't think so. When I bought my ZRX, the Z1000 was but a "gleam in an engineers eye." But I'm not admitting that I won't own a Z1000. I've given that a lot of thought for '04. Depends on my financial situation. For now, the ZRX does the job that it was intended to do...which is providing that weekend and mountain riding "adrenaline rush" I crave.... :bat: :FIREdevil :headbang:

#6 ·
Tom Bozeman said:
Pardon me, but I don't think so.
Tom, I was being a smartass. When am I not? :rolleyes:

JoJo, if you got to ride both, go with your gut instinct. In the end you'll be the one stuck with it (the joke about blowing it was just to ruffle Tom's feathers a little; Mission accomplished). If there was a one-bike-fits-all bike out there nobody would be excited about their's being different from the rest. Both the ZRX and Zed are really nice bikes and you can't go wrong with either. What you may want to do is spend some time prioritizing what you really want from both bikes and determining which bike will suit the particular wants best. We can provide some opinions but you need to ask what you want to know. You really won't find a comparo piece between the 2 from the moto journals. Except for a little Ann Margret and Britney Spears analogy by John Burns on MO. I can't post it here due to copy right rules but can send you a copy as long as you promise to keep it to yourself. BTW I live in the Four Corners area not far from Big Mouse Land. W Orange co and Lake has some of the best roads in the local area. Welcome aboard. Let us know when you have come to a decision or need more opinions...

There Tom. Sometimes I can be not such a smartass after all. Rarely. Must be the Hooligan effect... :D

#8 ·
Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm excited:D

Zed,

I live in Celebration which, as you probably know, is also close to WDW.

Thanks for the kind words. I kind of jumped into an opportunity with this ZRX although I have not ridden one. Like I said I rode the Z1000 and I'm thinking that in the improbable chance of not enjoying the ZRX as much as I think I will, I could trade it in for a Z1000.

Tom, thanks for the reassurance as well. I was a bit insecure (purchase price wise) because the bike was a 2001.

#10 ·
jojo said:
I live in Celebration which, as you probably know, is also close to WDW.
Wow :Wow1:, it is a Small World afterall! (Help! Help! I'm brainwashed, pixie dust style :laugh: ).

I literally spend most of my waking days in Celebration, at the weekday grind, of course, so technically I guess I "live" there myself. Although getting a pad there is not my bag.

As long as the forecasts say less than 50% chance of T-Storms, it's ride to work day for me, so you're likely to spot my Zelda. Good hunting! (Of course, it's not very sporting to come right out and say exactly where is it. Maybe tomorrow I'll give in, but right now I'm calling it quits for the night cause...

#11 ·
You done good jojo. The ZRX is a great bike and $5300 is a good price with 2000 miles and a Corbin. I rode my buddies 2001 ZRX once and had to keep steering myself away from the dealer for the next 3 weeks. I definately had a case of ZRX envy.
With only 4 months experience be careful. Have you taken the MSF course? If not I highly recommend it.

Enjoy.

#12 ·
Berto said:
jojo,
Just buy what YOU want, you'll kick yourself in the pants for a good while if ya don't. So whatever suits your taste, use, etc... go for it. If your happy, Tom's happy. Wait.... Tom's always happy. :)
Yes, Tom is always happy... why? 'Cause he rides a ZRX and his "sorry ***" can retire in less than 4 years as of 11/8/03... that's why! Oh yeah, and I get to ride with some of you guys once or twice a year.... :headbang:

#13 ·
Hi JonF,

Thanks. Yes I took the MSF back in March of this year and I found it an absolute MUST! Thanks for the advice.

ZED, OK, I think I know your bike! You always park behind the Seminole building close to the UPS drop box, right?

There used to be a different bike parked there at one point but now it's always the Black Z1000.

Is that you???

Every other day I have to check my PO box there and drop something on the UPS box. I know this is a long shot but when I saw the picture on your signature and when you mentioned the Disney roads I thought that could be you. Was I right?

#14 ·
jojo said:
Is that you???
Bingo! Excellent, you get the pickle! you won't see it today because of the :yell: TD 12 (Henri if it strengthens to a TS) coming our way. I don't wish to encounter flood conditions.

The other bike was probably my old EX500, Betty Boop, which got replaced by Zelda. You might have occasionally seen a co-worker's Hyabusa, which he crashed a month or so ago. He just left the company last week, though, and was more of a squid than anything else in his riding habits. The guy wrecked it by doing 80 in a sweeper in a 35 zone in the pouring rain.

However, some of the Disney arteries make excellent places for Hooliganism. A dearth of LEO's and some well kept roads, and when the traffic is lean it's a great place to open up :D. Not that there aren't plenty back roads to do this either...

You'll have to swing on by when you get your new ride. I'll PM my Suite #.

#15 ·
Zed,

If all goes well I'm going to pick it up this coming Saturday.

In the mean time you might have spotted me already on a silver mean streak (now with a 3" staggered equalyzer double D pipes and power commander -- riding much smoother because of the PC but I'm thinking too loud for me so I might go back to the stock pipes).

That is a small world after all!

I ususally come by around 5:30PM to drop something for UPS so depending on what time you leave I might see you down in the parking lot.

:cool:

#18 ·
4punksdad said:
heck...........if you are THAT close to Walt Disney...........then you must have enough cash to buy BOTH bikes. Send Tom the Z-1000 if it doesn't suit you. :laugh:

or if the ZRX isn't your cup of tea, I think I can make room in my garage.:thinkerg:
Uh, Joe... we have to meet and ride soon as I haven't found a bigger smartass than you on this great forum... ooops, forgot about Zed K... Ok, let us all get together someday soon and just see who can outsmartass each other...Fade, you are welcome to join us (let's make this thing equal) ... :laugh: :slap:

#19 ·
Tom Bozeman said:

Uh, Joe... we have to meet and ride soon as I haven't found a bigger smartass than you on this great forum... ooops, forgot about Zed K... Ok, let us all get together someday soon and just see who can outsmartass each other...Fade, you are welcome to join us (let's make this thing equal) ... :laugh: :slap:
I'll take that as a compliment :moon: < smart :headbang:

#20 ·
Tom Bozeman said:

Smart A$$...............me:D
and the older I get ....the worse it gets.

Right before I bought my Z ..........a dude that works at the Kaw dealer ,Derick,got a great deal on a 03 ZRX (private sale), corbin, 2 sets of bags, tank bag.....3500.00. Evidently this guy scarred the $hit out of himself and Derick was in the right place at the right time.
I finally got a chance to open my Z up against a ZR7S......whew!!! damn this bike is fast:cool:
Get together when???????May what???????14-16 Mothers day in '04 is May 9th......Kentucky Derby May 1st.........So how about it?????????????????????????????:moon:

And Tom you know you want a Z........when you put them side by side the choice is clear:FIREdevil

#21 ·
I second the motion...what Berto said

I too was put off temporarily with the tank slapper talk. It was overblown and probably just a freak situation with a few riders in specific situations. I have found the Z to be very confident and traded bikes with an extremely experienced rider who loved every second on it. If you like both the ZRX and Z1000 then I would go with the best deal. If you prefer one over the other and don't plan on trading it soon, I would follow Berto's advice which is always wise (not as wise as leaving the keys in the ignition however:slap: --sorry Bman-but it's important to laugh in order to begin the healing process:cool: )

Matt ú¿ú

#24 ·
HowsMatt (Can) said:
I would follow Berto's advice which is always wise (not as wise as leaving the keys in the ignition however:slap: --sorry Bman-but it's important to laugh in order to begin the healing process:cool: )

Matt ú¿ú
Matt, you're absolutely right, and it's not a habit to leave the key in the ignition (if I really did :rolleyes: ). But, you got the right to pin me on it, you've been there.

I ain't crying too bad - have seen enough unrepairable other things to bother getting real choked about losing a bike.

#25 ·
Tom Bozeman said:

It was. :headbang: And Al, can I ride the Z1K just to be sure? :cool:
Yes you can my son.............:laugh:

But here's the line I like by HowsMatt......."I would follow Berto's advice which is always wise" , thats a crock :laugh: :laugh:
Wait till you drink a few beers with him...you'll change your mind:laugh:
Well at least you have quite a few choices for a new ride. I could see you on a Trimuph Sprint.......or a new VFR......both these bikes comes with hard bags. Or like everyone else says about finding a left over 7s in red,blue or yellow and starting from scratch again. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.