RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Throttlemeister vs. Manic Salamnader throttle locks

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  spectorman 
#1 ·
Folks-
I've purchased them both & altho I mean no harm to M-S products, but the Throttlemeister system I (recently installed on my "new to me" ZRX) performed head & shoulders above the M-S t/l. Mind you, this is only MY experience & opinion.

I purchased what I think was one of the 1st M-S t/l's from them for my former ZZR1200; the unit itself is beautifully crafted and in theory, is supposed to work very similarly to the way the Throttlemeister unit does. However, I cannot say I ever got mine to work that well. The M-S t/l would never hold a lock for very long, no matter how much I finagled w/it. It got very frustrating and eventually I just gave up on trying. On the plus side, the M-S t/l was a heavy piece of metal and did much to dampen the vibes inherent in the ZZR clip-ons. The price on the M-S unit was reasonable but I really wish it had worked better FOR ME. I can say I had nothing but pleasant dealings w/Paul, the M-S owner, when I was able to get him on the phone or via e-mail. He offered to exchange them or refund me my $$. The $$ difference between the M-S t/l & the simple bar end weights was around $45 & I wasn't gonna sweat that. Paul's shop is pretty much a one man show so I chose to let it go. In the end, the t/l just never met my expectations. You may experience otherwise.

Several days ago I installed the Throttlemeister unit on my ZRX. Even being a mechanical pinhead, I was able to figure it out relatively quickly & the dang thing worked the first time. I finagled around w/it for a while to fine tune it but in reality, it was good to go from the get-go. And now, the Throttlemeister t/l's are heavier than the M-S t/l's, ergo more potential vibe dampening ability.

Prior to the Throttlemeister install, I was still not experiencing anywhere near the amount of vibes thru the grips/bars w/the ZRX as I did w/the ZZR but some vibes still do exist. I was thinking about trying to install some Bar Snake to further minimize them but I'm gonna pass on that for now. I spoke w/the Bar Snake creator, another nice fella, but I'm truly afraid of the mess to install it. In order to put it inside the stock ZRX bar, you have to buy the liquid Bar Snake, mod the bar slightly by drilling an air pressure hole, and pour it thru the bar end bolt hole (about 1/4" wide!) Sorry, that's a bit much for me. I'll try this first & see how it works. Maybe a project for later?

I took the bike out for about a 100 miler today & am happy to report the Throttlemeister worked well. Just as importantly, the T/M, in conjunction w/the new Progel grips seems to have done some serious damage to the vibe concerns of the ZRX, reducing the existent vibes probably 35%. All in all, I'm pleased! The Throttlemeister itself is a thing of art, was simple to install & is dirt simple to use. My compliments to Throttlemeister and thanks to Doug on the zrxoa for arranging the group buy & discounted prices!

Lee

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.