RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Laminar Lip...

7K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  pattonme 
#1 ·
I attached the laminar lip to my stock windscreen (took off the ZG tall windscreen) and rode about 100 miles today. I'm not real crazy for the looks of the Laminar lip, but it does work better than the ZG tall screen and much better than the stock screen on the ZRX. At speeds over 80 I couldn't tell any difference from stock or the ZG. Here's a couple of pics:

#3 ·
I have a Laminar Lip on my ZR-7S, and like you, I'm not real crazy about the looks. But after having it on for several months, I decided a couple of weeks ago that I was going to take it off for a while. I went out for one ride, and I put it right back on. It makes more difference than you realize.

Rich

#9 ·
I think it looks pretty good from the front. From the side it just doesn't match the lines of the fairing very well. But if it does the job I think I'd get used to the looks. And screw what everyone else thinks. :AR15firin

#11 ·
Tom Bozeman said:

Hey Rich, do you have a pic that you can post of your laminar on your ZR-7? I really would like to see what it looks like. If not, no problem. Tom
Tom, at the moment I don't have any pictures with the Lip on it, but there was a thread last summer with some pics, here's a link:

http://www.zr-7forums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2804

#12 · (Edited)
I just recently changed from the Maier to the ZRX fairing, and the ZRX fairing is quit short. I noticed that right away, but I like the look of the ZRX fairing alot better and having the option of changing windscreens "at will" (of the check book)....

BTW, Tom, what site did you get it through?

G
#15 ·
I'm really considering getting one of these. I've been having ALOT of wind noise in my helmet ever since I got the ZR. I ride my sherpa at 70mph and don't get nearly as much noise. So I started thinking "why is this?"
So, last week, I'm riding down the road at about 70, noticed the horrific roar in my helmet. I stood up on the pegs for a few seconds raising my head about 8 inches or so. When that happened, my helmet hit straightline wind and the roar disappeared! I was shocked!
The roar is being caused by the turbulence created by the windscreen. Sure, it keeps the windblast off my upper body but creates a vortex right at the bottom of my helmet. I'm starting to think I'd be better with no windscreen at all! :rolleyes:
But, I like some wind protection so I'm really considering the laminar lip.
It costs about 84$ total w/ shipping. Does anyone think getting a taller touring windscreen would be a better route? I'm just thinking about how loud this is and how it could damage hearing over time. BTW, I hate wearing earplugs :ugone2far

G
#17 ·
I finally decided to get one. After riding my wife's silverwing I realized just HOW much noise the wind makes on the ZR. That thing is so quiet. It has a very nice bubble.
Anyway, just ordered it yesterday. I really hope it makes a big difference. I just can't stand the noise anymore!!!!:ugone2far
I chose the laminar lip over the ZG sport-touring screen because of the aerodynamic design of the lip. The silverwing's stock windshield has the inverted airfoil design also. You can feel the air coming up the inside of the screen through a port in the front of the bike and it helps push the air coming over the top of it up even more. So, that's why I chose the lip. I hope I'm not disappointed :mecry:
I don't care about the appearance of it, I just want a quieter ride!

#18 ·
ZRider, let us know what you think of the Lip when you get installed and have had a chance to ride with it some. I have been having the same debate for a while my self and have not been able to make up my mind. I also am getting tired of having to cleam the bugs off my face shield Every Time before I ride.

BTW - Also give us an idea of how tall you are, and if the wind blast is going completely over your helmet or not.

I see two mods been made to my bike this upcoming off-season. One a seat change Sargent (sp) reshape/refoam or Corbin. Two a ZG Sport-Touring windscreen or a Laminar Lip.

G
#19 ·
Will do, BillW. I just got an email saying that it was shipped today. Hoping to have it by the weekend??? I'm very anxious about it. If I don't like it, they make ME pay shipping back and charge a 20% restocking fee :( That's not fair IMHO. They should give a 30 day full money back guarantee, like alot of other places do.

#20 ·
I tried it on my Sprint, and noticed a rise in the airflow of about 3" with the lip installed on the stock screen. It still was WAY below the level that I get with my touring screen, so in my case I'd say the Lip is no replacement for a taller screen. If you want the airflow raised to a higher level, get a taller screen. If the airflow is already at the right level, just "dirty", then the lip may help to clean it up and eliminate some of the noise.

G
#21 ·
I got my laminar lip in exactly 3 days from the date that I placed the web order. :)
Fastest service I ever got on anything that I ever ordered on the net. Impressive!
Now, on to the lip's performance.
With stock screen on the ZR-7S, sitting upright, the wind used to hit me in the lower throat area, just about where a jacket zipper would go to. Now, with the lip on it, it hits mid face shield. Mind you, that's sitting straight up. If I lean just about 3 or 4 inches down, I'm in the bubble! :D
I used to have to lay down on the tank to get relief from the noise, but now, just a gentle forward lean and I can hear the 738 hum!
I'm mostly pleased. The only thing more I could have asked for would have been to be able to sit straight up and be in the bubble. But, since the lip only sticks up about 3 inches above the stock screen, I'm impressed at how much it lifted the airstream. I'd say a good 8 inches, at least.
I've got alot of testing to do with the position of the lip. Gotta get some more dual lock tape to that I can move it around and get the best position.
So, IMO, the lip is pretty good. 75$ worth? Well.......maybe 50$ would be more like it, but all in all, a welcomed relief! :D
BTW, I'm 5'10", 32" inseam.

I also had to remove my X102 risers in order to be more comfortable when in the forward lean so I might be advertising them in the buy/sell section at a later date.

#22 ·
ZRider said:
I got my laminar lip in exactly 3 days from the date that I placed the web order. :)
Fastest service I ever got on anything that I ever ordered on the net. Impressive!
Now, on to the lip's performance...
ZRider, I've had a Lip on for 8 or 9 months now, and I am mostly pleased with it. Like you, I think it's a bit overpriced, and it doesn't work miracles, but it does perform well considering that the top of the lip is still well below your line of sight. After I'd had mine on for 2 or 3 months, I took it off just to change my riding experience for a while. I had it back on for the next ride.
2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S
2001 Kawasaki Concours

G
#24 ·
Yeah Rich, I know. I noticed a considerable difference immediately. Not perfect, but much improved. The only other screen I found was tall enough, but looks like a gigantic shoe horn sitting on your fairing :laugh: I actually liked the looks of the lip better than it. If you can get the site to work here it is:
http://www.ermax.fr/Sites_anglais/news/ZR7_5_15CM.htm
It's a french site so it'd have to be ordered from overseas. Questionalble???
I'm getting a roll of dual lock today to play with it's placement. I'll report back if I come across any miraculous placement:rolleyes:
Doubtful......:smilewink
Fade, where'd you find that lip? Do they make one for the ZR-7S?
Or is it home made?

G
#26 ·
Is the 7S really considered "naked" or just "scantily clad"? :? :laugh:
To clarify, I would either prefer a taller screen or no screen at all.
All the 7S's screen does is make the air very dirty right at the helmet. Since the 7S already has a screen and it would look very funny to remove just the screen, I had to go with something that kicked the air up more. Either that, or remove the fairing altogether and I didn't want to spend money to get new gauges, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.