RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

What's that fairing really like?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Edward ZRX 
#1 ·
On the R model, does that fairing do anything? What about when touring etc. Is it quiet/noisy? [Guess it depends on the helmet/visor combo you wear.]

Is the extra $$ for the S model fairing going to be worth it?

#2 ·
I rode my buddies ZRX1200R a while back and the wind is less than our naked ZR-7. There was alot less wind on my chest at up to 95mph than my ZR has at 70mph. I did not notice any excessive wind noise or buffeting at helmet level. I still like being naked and in the wind. I think it is part of the purity of riding.
I would like to have a fairing bike for long trips or cold weather,
my other buddies VFR was quite wind free. Interesting, but I still think fairings are cheating.

#3 ·
Scott, if you decide on the ZRX1200R, the standard screen doesn't do much for wind deflection. I recently purchased a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen for $50 from a ZRXOA member and noticed a really good improvement over the standard ZRX screen. I've never ridden a sport bike with a fairing, so I don't know what to say about the ZRX1200S, but I think it would be the same as the guys that ride the ZR7s with the fairing. Altthough I think most of these riders have purchased aftermarket screens and some have the "laminar lip?" Here's a pic of my ZG ST screen:

#5 ·
Scott, I agree with Tom about the ZRX. I owned fully faired sportbikes and a ZR7 (naked) before my ZRX1200R. The REX does offer much better protection from the wind in stock trim than a truely "naked" bike, but not as much as compared to a faired bike. The wind doesn't bother me until 90-95, and then it's not that bad. I'm waiting on a MRA screen to try on my REX. I'm actually having two different versions of the screen sent so I can try them out. Even if I received them today, it was 22 out so testing is out of the question!! I did snap a couple of shots in the sun...

#7 ·
Hey Tom - In that first picture you posted..it looks like the Kawasaki emblem that used to be on the tank left behind a "tan line". I can still see the word "kawasaki" on the tank. Did you wait a long time before you removed the emblem, so the sun faded the other part, or what?

Also, as far as the fairing....I had the ZR7s...and went to the ZRX. I missed the fairing on the 7, but love the power on the Rex, so I just got the ZG windscreen like Tom has. It works great....still less protection than the 7 had, but nothing that you can't get used to.

Wind noise isn't a problem because I wear ear plugs anyway to prevent damage to my hearing.

Buy a Rex....buy a Rex...you won't regret it...but if I had the choice, I'd have bought the S model. I love that fairing!

#8 ·
Twyla, the first picture has the "stickers" I got from Tim's friend, they just don't show up well in direct sunlight on film or digital cam. In the second pic I had just removed the raised letters. BTW, the Muzzy is gone, sold for $175. I had plans of Muzzy full system, jet kit, etc. but something else came up and couldn't spend the money on the ZRX. I'll post a pic of the latest slip-on replacing the Muzzy when I get it installed. Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.