RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Help removing broken bolts!

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  climb21cj 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I noticed that my headlight assembly was very loose on the way home tonight, so I removed the assembly and found that the two bolts that hold the bracket onto the bottom triple clamp had broken - both heads had sheared off!!

Fark!!! :mad:

There is not enough bolt sticking out to grab onto and get them out so I am a bit stuck!

So, never having fixed anything like this before, I need advice on how to remove these suckers!

Is this something I can do myself or am I going to have to get someone to do this?

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn that sux! If you are real patient and steady with a drill, you can drill through the center of them and get some E-Z Out bits. But being where they are and not wanting to damage the triple I would maybe ask around on seeing if a local shop could get them out. If worse happens you can all ways tap the holes a hair bigger and use larger bolts to reassemble.

#3 ·
Take off the bracket and expose what is left of the bolts. If there is enough thread left to get two nuts of the correct size on there use them to back out the broken bolts. You use one nut as a jam nut to stop the "inner" from spinning when you unthread the bolt. I used this trick on the ignition barrel bolt nubs after drilling out the safety retainers. Works like a charm.

#6 ·
I'm gonna have to drill out a sheared off hex bolt too. Put it on too tight when adding a powertip/silencer on one of my new TB exhaust cans...on the magnesium tip.

What a bummer...:soap::eek:

#7 ·
Be wary of using "Easy Outs" they are very brittle and if you break them off - you WON'T be drilling them out again.

My first suggestion is my choice if there is enough thread showing.

After that - left handed drill bits

then MAYBE an easy out.....

If the bolts are any kind of stuck at all, don't use an easy out.

#8 ·
Any update?

#9 ·
Yep!!

Thanks all for the quick replies - in the end I got a guy out to take them out as I also had a broken bolt in one of my cars. It cost me about $40 in the end for all 3 bolts removed and new bolts to suit, so I was happy!

It took him all of 15 minutes to do it as well.... maybe I cxould have done it my self, but at least I know it's done right!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.