RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

'03 Z1000 or '02 ZRX1200R?

15K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  bikemoneyman 
#1 ·
I found a ZRX all stock for $4k and JON_ Z1000's Z for $5k, and Jon's Z is pretty sweet, but its in Dayton OH, and the ZRX is in Bolingbrook, IL (much closer to home) I don't know how many mile are on the ZRX yet. I love the ZRX, and was looking for one before I bought my Z as a second choice. After Owning the Z, I grew very fond of its quirks, agressive styling, and FI system. I have also lusted after the ZRX since the 1100 version came out. I am torn between these two beautiful Kawasaki's and If anyone has owned the ZRX I am open to any cons it may have, as well as pros! thanks guys!

#2 ·
I used to have a '99 ZRX 1100, was going to trade it for an '05 ZRX 1200, but saw a left over '04 Z1000 sitting next to it and bought the Z instead. I have never looked back. I do miss the ZRX for two-up riding, seemed to handle the extra weight a little better - but my Z is a blast. Only put 13K on the ZRX in 6 years, already have over 10K in less than 3 years on the Z!

#3 ·
The ZRX has got to be the best all around bike I have ever owned, great for two up, great single bike also.

With few little work the suspension can be great.

The only thing I can say that I hated about mine was the stock seat, look into a Corbin.

I bought an 01 a 18 months ago and have never looked back, 15k later and I don't regret the purchase at all.

#4 ·
Which stock seat do you think is better? I didn't much care for the one on the Z. after 100 miles my arse was sore!

--also The ZRX I am looking at has 34,000 miles on it and the guy is asking 4000 obo. any input on that from you ZRX owners?:yoda:

#8 ·
Which stock seat do you think is better? I didn't much care for the one on the Z. after 100 miles my arse was sore!
As far as seats go the ZRX I had I put a Sargent on - great seat! My Z still has the stock one on it but I picked up an extra set that I am planning on sending to Sargent (one of these days) to redo for me.

#5 ·
I had the same choice when they were new, 2002 ZRX or 2003 Z1K. I picked the Z1K. Sportier, lighter, fuel injected and evil looking. I do keep my eyes open for used ZRexes to add to my Z1000 and wife's ZR7, but not to replace the Z.

#6 ·
I have owned both. The ZRX is my choice. 30+k miles on a ZRX is nothing but4K is too much. 3000-3500 is the range I would consider.

#7 ·
I bought my second ZRX1200 about 16 months ago for $3900 and it had about 9600 miles on it at the time and also had a fairly new Sargent seat, bar risers, Ventura rack w/pack, service manual and some other extras. 4K is a little to much to pay for a ZRX with that kind of mileage in my opinion.

#9 ·
Decision.....

I decided to buy Jon_z1000's Z picking it up saturday. I can't wait! I thought 4k was too much myself for the ZREX, but I still didn't like the 34k on the clock!

I also got attached to the Z I had (fast orange one). I had no complaints about it, so the Z it is!

Thanks for all the input guys!

#11 ·
I had a 03 Z1000.It was nice but very uncomfortable.Didn't really jump until 7000 RPMs.But it steered quick and was beautiful in black.But I remembered my 99 1100 REX and the wonderful torque.So I traded my Z for a 01 1200 REX.The 1200 is geared too high.I don't care what anyone says they are.I geared it like my 1000 and oh boy am I happy.Jacked up the rear shocks.Previous owner had them set very soft and chain was rusted and the front tire only had 10 pounds of air.I like a little of both bikes but like the REX more.Bigger saddle,more torque,and it'sjust a better all around naked.The Z is 50 pounds lighter but vibrates so bad.If I want another short light weight sportbike I'll buy a ZX-10 for about 7500 bucks and save the 2500 trying to improve the Z which can't be done.I'll keep my rex till I can afford the bike I really want a ZX-14!!!!
Craig

#13 ·
I took the 17 front off and put on a 15.That brought fro 2.47-1 to 2.8.On my 1100 I had a 49 rear and the stock 17.I just did this for now cause it cost only 34 bucks delivered from sprocket specialities.When the chain wears out I'll replace both sprockets and chain for about 200 bucks.The EK ZZZ chain from 411.com is 118 bucks free shipping.It is a x ring 11000 tenstile strength recomended up to 190 hp.I have my own Motion Pro riveting tool.When I replace the sprockets I'm going with 44/16 which the guys on the other site will fit.The ratio is 2.75-1 which is between what the stock 1200 and 1100.I just can't take those high gears.Now my bike wheelies if I want it too at about 15 mph.I'm loving it.With my lower gearing on my 1100 it still hit 155 and barely 150 geared stock.Just more efficient.The gearing follows the ZX-11 and the 1200 follows the ZZR-1200 without the added hp.
Craig

#15 ·
After spending some time with this bike I have a few concerns.It's got the Ivan jet kit with the 3/8" holes drilled in the air box.It has 112 main jets which seem small.At 4-5 grand it makes great torque but doesn't have that HIT I remember from my ZRX1100.That bike had pods 132 mains and a Dale Walker pipe.This is SUPPOSED to make more hp but I don't know.I hate to spend 265 bucks for Dales kit but he sells quality stuff.I wouldn't of bought Ivans kit but it came with the bike.Guess I'll wait for the spring put in fresh plugs and go to a dyno_One thing I miss is that fuel injection.
Craig

#18 ·
I ran 16/45 gearing on mine and it was perfect. I sold my zrx to a friend who ordered zzr1200 cams from Ron Ayers and that thing came alive !

#20 ·
It's like running ZX-11 cams in the ZRX1100.When they opened up the Zx-11 to the ZZR-1200 the same things apply down to the final gearing.So that is correct.I've ordered from Ron Ayers as his prices are better then most.When I adjusted the valves in my ZRX1100 I got the shims from Ron as they were half price from most Kawi shops.If I keep this bike I would like to get the Muzzy piston kit which is around 1100 dollars.

#26 ·
I'm wondering if it's worth doing.The cams are 333 apiece at Ron Awers.I have the Ivan kit which I just think sucks.112 jets and 3/8 in holes in the air box,please.My ZRX11 had Dynojet stage 3 or 132 mains.Pods.I also had a Dale Walker full system.I'm coming from the Z1000 so maybe the higher RPM
power might be ok.It's pretty nice from 4-5500 but after that just isn't as good as my ZRX11 which really disappointed me.Same old thing.How can a stock air filter and 112 mains get it done?It can't.If it pisses the Ivan guys off so be it.They can buy it from me after I take it out and install Dales Pods and 135's.And I think the Pods will work nice with the ZZR cams.
Craig

#28 ·
The 1200 head is different.Nothing from the 1100 will work.Not even the valve cover.They narrowed the cylinders so they don't use iron liners.They electroplate the cylinders like the late ZX-9's or some dirtbikes.But the ZZR cams will work but not the GPZ or ZX-11.I'd be leary of used ones as I keep hearing of the chrome flaking off the rocker arms and they are expensive.On the ZRXOA website they list cam profiles.The Muzzy seems to be 404 lift and the ZZR is 360 or 370.I would be interested in trying the ZZR cams first.My bike screams at 4-6000.After I put the Pods and stage 3 jets I bet those cams would breathe real good at about 7 grand.Check out Dale Walkers Holeshot performance site.Then check out his ZZR-1200 slipons for a comparison.Theres a dyno chart for ZZR and a ZRX.They seem to make pretty close to the same power to 8 grand.Granted the ZZR has a slightly higher compression ratio and 2 mm bigger carbs.But it's just a comparison.At the end of the dyno the ZZR puts out 133 HP with stock exhaust and turns the 1/4 in 10.16.You do lose a little torque with the ZZR cams but it seems well worth it.You seek to lose 7 lbs of torque at 4grand and 6-7 HP.Doesn't seem that bad and if you want it back in spades get the Muzzy 1224 kit.Sounds like a fun project.
Craig

#30 ·
I guess I was a little hard on Ivans kit and modified box.I went for a ride today and it was in the high 40's.I hit it hard at 3500 in top gear and it pulled nice.From 4 grand it pulled very hard.I had pods and the dyno jet stage 3 jets in my ZRX1100.It pulled very good after 4 grand.It had a slight hesitation about 3200.I think that was due to using the shorter springs that was in the kit.The instructions in the kit warned of drivability issues of the shorter springs.If I did it again I would use the stock springs but I didn't feel it was that bad.But the Ivan kit doesn't have that issue.If I keep this bike and put ZZR cams in it I think I'll get Dale Walkers kit with the pods.Cause the cams seem to breathe better at 8500 up and I think Pods would help that.And if the low end gets hurt real bad I can always get Muzzys 1224 kit.Then I think it would be ok fine.

#32 ·
If they wernt so heavy.I didn't realize howw heavy they felt after trading my Z1000 for the Rex.But I shift at 5 grand most of the time something the Z didn't like.I found K&N filters at Amazon.com without the chrome caps for $87 shipped.And I got the rest of Ivans jet kit.Take off the air box and change the main jets from my local Yahmaha shop.And if I need shiims, Radio Shack sells an assortment of tiny washers for 2 bucks.There are 20 #2 washers which are close enough.I used them before on a 89 Ninja 750 and they took the stumble out just right.So lets see I can do it for about $100 depending on the jets.Should be able to get them for ten bucks.Now I don't know about air jets.Better do some more research,but at least I'm at a starting point.Life
was so much simplier with fuel injection.
Craig

#33 ·
If they wernt so heavy.I didn't realize howw heavy they felt after trading my Z1000 for the Rex.But I shift at 5 grand most of the time something the Z didn't like.I found K&N filters at Amazon.com without the chrome caps for $87 shipped.And I got the rest of Ivans jet kit.Take off the air box and change the main jets from my local Yahmaha shop.And if I need shiims, Radio Shack sells an assortment of tiny washers for 2 bucks.There are 20 #2 washers which are close enough.I used them before on a 89 Ninja 750 and they took the stumble out just right.So lets see I can do it for about $100 depending on the jets.Should be able to get them for ten bucks.Now I don't know about air jets.Better do some more research,but at least I'm at a starting point.Life
was so much simplier with fuel injection.
Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.