RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

zrx 1200 clutch basket

7K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Tom Bozeman 
#1 ·
Im new to this forum and hoping for some help from the zrx gurus.I run my 01 zrx at the drags and it is also my daily driver.I burned the origional clutch discs out at 8500 mi,replaced them with ebc brand and had terrible chatter.Upon disassambling again I noticed a considerable amount of play in the basket/gear assembly.Not the basket alone but the entire unit.My service manual doesnt specify any play or not.This bike isnt hammered,uses a street tire and used up the discs from fanning clutch out at launch,no clutch dumps.Any input on this would be great.thanks,RR

#2 ·
RifRafRacing said:
Im new to this forum and hoping for some help from the zrx gurus.I run my 01 zrx at the drags and it is also my daily driver.I burned the origional clutch discs out at 8500 mi,replaced them with ebc brand and had terrible chatter.Upon disassambling again I noticed a considerable amount of play in the basket/gear assembly.Not the basket alone but the entire unit.My service manual doesnt specify any play or not.This bike isnt hammered,uses a street tire and used up the discs from fanning clutch out at launch,no clutch dumps.Any input on this would be great.thanks,RR
If you are not a member at www.zrxoa.org you should sign up and do a search on clutch baskets. There was a member there that sold them once a upon a time at a good price. Tom

#8 ·
:woot: OK,got to the bottom of this problem.The play or lash I have in the basket assembly is normal per the local Kaw dealer.I replaced the friction discs with OEM's and soaked them for 2 days in oil.Clutch works smooth as day 1 now. I didnt soak the other plates more than 20 minutes,that was the mistake.Ready for track again after some street miles to break in.RR

#9 ·
RifRafRacing said:
:woot: OK,got to the bottom of this problem.The play or lash I have in the basket assembly is normal per the local Kaw dealer.I replaced the friction discs with OEM's and soaked them for 2 days in oil.Clutch works smooth as day 1 now. I didnt soak the other plates more than 20 minutes,that was the mistake.Ready for track again after some street miles to break in.RR
Cool, keep me posted. I'm thinking about taking my ZRX to the track and see how I like it. Never done the dragstrip though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.