RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Rode a ZRX-1200 today

15K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Tom Bozeman 
#1 ·
I finally got a chance to go for a short ride on the ZRX. :)

The ZRX has so much low end torque! I felt like I was on my RD-350 again. First gear power wheelies at will.

The ZRX handles very well for a 1200cc bike. The only real problem that I noticed was when doing wheelies, the engine would make a loud clunk. I think it is the primary chain. Not good. Mind you it only does it in first gear when doing a wheelie.

Other then the loud clunk sound, the ZRX is very fast, handles very well, very light feeling. I think it looks very good. It might be one of the best bikes out there for sheer enjoyment and comfort.

BTW, the DL-1000 I rode the other day also made a similar sound when doing first gear wheelies. It sounded like detonation.

So I decided to take a GSX-R1000 out for test ride. No problems doing wheelies on that bad boy. First gear wheelies are just a matter of rolling on the throttle. The nice thing is, no clunk and no detonation. Just pure fun. But the riding position is not as comfortable as the ZRX.

Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
What a lucky guy you are! You know I like the ZRX. Sorry I missed your post about going to Alices last Sunday. I didn't read that post until Monday. We'll hook up sometime, it's a long summer. I was up there a couple of Saturdays ago and it was so foggy and cold. There were four of us in my group and by the time we got there we were all wet from the fog, not fun at all. Almost no bikes up there too. Oh well, that doesn't happen very often especially this time of year. Later. My Zr runs really well after getting it back from your shop. It seems to run smoother and quieter, maybe it's just me. Ride safe, Ace out.

#4 ·
To tell the truth, I really can't tell much difference between the stock springs and the prog. ones. Maybe the front end is a little less spongy. See ya.

#5 ·
Andy, the clunk you heard on the ZRX was the clutch basket. It took several months for the members of the ZRX Owners Association to figure this one out. In fact, one of the members now manufactures a clutch basket which cures this clunking. There is a dampening device built into the clutch basket, which is the source of the clunk. What threw everyone off is the clunk actually sounds as though it is coming from the left side of the motor--not the clutch side. When I was at the SoCal ZRXOA gatheing over Memorial Day weekend, three of these new clutch baskets were installed during the BBQ. All three people went for a test ride and came back with the same report--no more clunk!

#8 ·
Tom, if you do not find it let me know, and I will get his email adress for you. He was selling the clutch basket for $140--though I do not know if that was a special price for the memorial weekend gathering. Anyway the lether pants are in the mail to you.

#10 ·
Hey Tom, I found the thread about the "Carl's Damperless Clutch Hub." Try SHOUPENTSTATORREPAIR@prodigy.net or 970-434-0906. The price is $140 for: new modified hub, locknut, cover gasket, easy to understand instructions, and shipping. You can send a money order to: Carl Shoup
3172 Glendam Dr.
Grand Junction, CO 81504

G
#12 ·
zrx is not my friend

i went to my local cow dealer yesterday and rode a zrex and suprisingly wasnt that impressed.......they are great bikes mind you, but just not for me.it just looks and feels a lil odd to me.i then asked him when he would be geting another zr7s on the floor and he said that the last one he had sat there for 7 months and that he wouldnt be getting anymore without a deposit......so i said.......i wont be giving you any money for something i cant see.....lol............he tried awfully hard to put me on the rex but i just couldnt do it........even at the great price of 7600 out the door.....i did however like the sv650 he had........kool bike

#14 ·
crazeecooter said:
Hey Tom, I found the thread about the "Carl's Damperless Clutch Hub." Try SHOUPENTSTATORREPAIR@prodigy.net or 970-434-0906. The price is $140 for: new modified hub, locknut, cover gasket, easy to understand instructions, and shipping. You can send a money order to: Carl Shoup
3172 Glendam Dr.
Grand Junction, CO 81504
Just curious Crazee, have you installed Carl's kit? What do you think about it, if you have? Tom

#15 ·
Tom, I haven't done that yet because I don't see the need for it. My bike does power wheelies. I don't pop the clutch so I don't hear that noise. It doesn't really need any help lifting the front wheel.

#16 ·
Thanks Crazee, that is just what I expected. I've just got past 600 miles on the Rex and have given it that quick "twist of the wrist" from and 2nd to 3rd and have a good idea of what this bike will do. Clutch wheelies scare me anyway. When I rode MX bikes, it was always power wheelies, the easiest way to ride one for a distance. Power up and hold on. Tom :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.