RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Engines

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Martin64 
#1 ·
Hey folks. I don't have the articles in front of me, so I'm going by memory. I read that the new Kawi ZZR-1200 uses the same engine as the ZRX-1200. Is that true ? If so, what are the differences ? Did the ZRX-1100, and the 1100 Ninja share the same engine ?

I ask because all I've reading on the ZZR-1200. Do they even still refer to it as a Ninja ? The 1100 Ninja used to be the top of the line, then the ZR1200R, is it, took over that space as the king of the crotch rockets. The 1100 was a more comfortable, though less all out performance, Ninja. Now it has evolved into the ZZR-1200. But, I never knew it had the same engine as the ZRX, huh !

What can you tell me about all this. Performnce differences, wieght, and so on. Seems the "Ninja's" have a much higher top end. Is that at the loss of all other power(mid range). If the engines are the same, can you tune a ZRX to run like a ZZR, or are they radically different beyond the case, bore and stroke ?

With these sort of inqueries, I'll usually go out and find specs and stuff in magazines to flip back and forth to compare. But since you folks own the ZRX, and seem to know a bit of Kawi's in general, I thought I would bring it up here.

Later, Tony.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, just one last thing. Upon reading over my compleated post, I'm looking at my rank, and the forum I'm in. Let's just say, it's a lesson in hummility being a ZR-7 SPAZ in ZRX LAND. :(

Can I be something else when I visit here ? Is that possible to have a different rank when entering ZRX land ? Maybe something like ZRX wanna-be. How's about ....MedWantsaRex...:laugh:

Actually, I really like the ZZR. Tonywanzazzr.

Spaz:mecry:

#3 ·
A stock ZRX1200 makes 112 hp on the dyno. A stock ZZR1200 makes 145 hp on the dyno. Huge difference! But the ZZR cams and carbs are supposed to be the difference maker and also interchangeable. I'm thinking with the cams and carbs and the mods I have now, my bike could make about 160 hp. ;)

The ZZR runs very low 10 sec. 1/4 miles. 10.10 sec.
The ZRX runs 10.70 in the 1/4 mile.

#4 ·
MedZR7Treker said:
Oh, just one last thing. Upon reading over my compleated post, I'm looking at my rank, and the forum I'm in. Let's just say, it's a lesson in hummility being a ZR-7 SPAZ in ZRX LAND. :(

Can I be something else when I visit here ? Is that possible to have a different rank when entering ZRX land ? Maybe something like ZRX wanna-be. How's about ....MedWantsaRex...:laugh:

Actually, I really like the ZZR. Tonywanzazzr.

Spaz:mecry:
MedWantsaRex and Tonywanzazzr both sound good to me. I really like the ZZR myself, it was the low price on the '01 Rex that got me. Tom

#5 ·
ZRX & ZZR

The engines in the ZRX and the ZZR are similar but different. I
think the M/C community expected the ZZR to have the same power as the ZRX but were surprised when they did the road tests. I read the bike mags,they explained the differences. I think it was in the May MotorCyclist that broke it down.
I liked the ZZR when I first saw it but I rode a ZRX and jonesed
for one for three weeks. (there is a green 01 at the dealer near my house for $6999,my buddy said he would paint it ZR blue for nothing. I dont really like the green,plus it doesn't match my gear... Somebody hold me back!) I think I'll hold out untill the ZR is paid off and get a ZZR.
Hopefully they'll come in something other than silver. And yes, I
will keep my ZR. :) I know I saw a dark red ZZR at the dealer even
though they are only available in silver here. Maybe it was an
overseas bike they let them display for a short time?? It was parked on a raised platform right next to a ZX12R of the same
color. It was sweeeet!!

JonF

#6 ·
The dark red bike you saw was probably a ZX-11, not the new ZZR. It could also have been a Honda Blackbird--I know that bike has been offered in a dark red, although I don't know for which model year(s). Of course, the dealer could have had a new ZZR painted red but all the imports are silver.

--Tim

#7 ·
Red ZZR

I know I'm not crazy,well I think I'm not crazy but I do know how to read. I know it was a ZZR1200 because that was the first one I saw and had not seen even apicture yet in a magazine. I distinctly remember the tailpiece and lights and it said ZZR1200
on it. I could swear it was red. Maybe the ZX12R was red and the ZZR was silver.Does the ZX12R come in dark red? Maybe I am crazy or just dont have enough functioning brain cells to remember correctly. :(

JonF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.