RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

ignition misfire in wet weather

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mbandit 
#1 ·
We got some our torrential Texas rain recently during my 50 mile commute. My ZRX died on me about 4 times. Anyone had this problem before and what's the cure? I'll start by spraying the ign componants under the tank and seat with silicon. Does the water get into a ZRX's switchgear and ignition switch too?

#2 ·
mbandit said:
We got some our torrential Texas rain recently during my 50 mile commute. My ZRX died on me about 4 times. Anyone had this problem before and what's the cure? I'll start by spraying the ign componants under the tank and seat with silicon. Does the water get into a ZRX's switchgear and ignition switch too?
Never had that problem during the 3 years I owned my ZRX, and I rode it in very heavy rains several times. Did you post the question at www.zrxoa.org ? My ZRX did stall on me 2 times while riding in hot weather conditions and low on fuel and switching the petcock to Prime position got it running again, then back to res. position and on to the gas station....I never figured out why that happened though.

#3 ·
sounds like my cager when it had a cracked distributer head. something is still leaking probably ignition if it goes away after the bike dries. if it sticks around maby water in the tank?

#4 ·
Tom,

Funnily enough I had the same fuel problem a while back - the engine would run dry and die. I switched to pime and back and forth and that got me going. Strpped the fuel switch etc and found nothing. I can only assume some trash found its way into the fuel and blocked up the carbs. never happened since. I'm going to fit an in-line filter shortly.

I guess with the ignition problem I'm just going to have to silicon everything.

PS just about to change my rear Avon Azaro - got over 7000 miles out of it and I ride real hard. Can't beat 'em for an every day tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.