RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

ZRX1200R vs. FZ-1

44K views 98 replies 23 participants last post by  lpscruggs 
#1 ·
Okay, I know this topic has probably been discussed before, but with the new addition of ZRX's to site members I was hoping for some more feedback. My ZR7s was totaled, they took it away today, :mecry: I am trying to figure out what I want to get to replace it and I am stuck on a few different bikes, obvious choices. I like the zrx1200R for its power, similarity to the zr7s. Not sure I like the front fairing, how is it for wind protection?? I like the FZ-1 for similar look to zr7s but has more angled look. Doesn't look as comfortable for passenger or rider as zrx. Also I have looked at honda 919, I not too fond of the color, but I do like the body shape and it is fuel injected. No wind protection though and it seems to be more aggressive riding position. I am leaning towards the ZRX but wanted some opinions.

#2 ·
Other options

In a similar price range I would consider looking at the following:
Honda VFR-Interceptor, Ducati Monster 750, Ducati 750 Sport, Honda Super Hawk (too sporty?), Bandit 1200, Katana 750, SV 650, YZF 600 R....Ok that's about every bike I could list. To be more precise then, I would take a serious look at the Bandit, SV, YZF and Interceptor. The Bandit is comfy and do it all (like ZR-7), the SV is light and fun (not great if you're a big guy) and prolly has the sportiest seating position of these 4 (maybe the YZF?). The other V-twin Honda is of course known as best of the best, time and again--a beautiful machine. The YZF 600 R is pretty sporty, but the seating position is not as severe as an R-6. To narrow it down further based on what I "feel" you're looking for I would compare the Bandit, Fazer and ZRX....

I have a cycle world that compared the 3 and if I may summarize: the ZRX had the best engine/power, the suzuki is a bargain and does nothing wrong, and the FZ1 is fast and sporty, therefore their favourite. For short trips and if you like the retro, go for the ZRX, for medium trips and lotsa zip get the FZ1, for sport-touring, comfort and passenger I would go for the bandit...Guess I only have 1 suggestion left-->

What about another ZR-7S?????????????

Hope that helped, best of luck shopping--Have fun and let us all know what you decide.

Matt ö¿ö

#3 ·
How did you 'total' the ZR? Were you the victim of a cager or did you dump it?

How long have you been riding? Have you ever rode a modern day bike? A ZR to the bikes I see mentioned is a BIG jump. The FZ-1 is basically a R-1 'de-tuned' for better midrange. That bike is a whole different universe from a ZR.

A SuperHawk? - ***. Dumbest looking bikes on the planet. If you're going sport, get a full fairing.

Z-REX? You'll kill yourself.

Ducati? Don't waste good money on a 748 that was built to compete with 600s at half the price.

Suzuki? Katana is old tech - but OK if your paying cash. Just remember it doesn't have GSX in front of it. Do they still sell a 750?

Want a good all around bike? Try a VFR800. I own a Ninja and a ZR and I think the VFR is a perfect cross.

That's my 2 cents worth.

#92 ·

How did you 'total' the ZR? Were you the victim of a cager or did you dump it?

How long have you been riding? Have you ever rode a modern day bike? A ZR to the bikes I see mentioned is a BIG jump. The FZ-1 is basically a R-1 'de-tuned' for better midrange. That bike is a whole different universe from a ZR.

A SuperHawk? - ***. Dumbest looking bikes on the planet. If you're going sport, get a full fairing.

Z-REX? You'll kill yourself.

Ducati? Don't waste good money on a 748 that was built to compete with 600s at half the price.

Suzuki? Katana is old tech - but OK if your paying cash. Just remember it doesn't have GSX in front of it. Do they still sell a 750?

Want a good all around bike? Try a VFR800. I own a Ninja and a ZR and I think the VFR is a perfect cross.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Suzuki gsxr the only 750 japan still making..

#5 ·
I think everyone probably hit the nail on the head. I have been riding for a year. I dumped the zr7s on a patch of sand going around a turn. I am not an aggressive rider, i don't push turns or acceleration too hard. So why move to bigger bike. Most mention how if they could get a bit more hp out of the ZR7 they would. I enjoy the ride/feel of it. I wouldn't mind a bit more power. I also would like to get a bike with a bit more refinement. I like the fz-1 for the style and higher seating position, similar look to ZR. I am not sure I like the look of ZRX, depends on my mood. I am not looking for a rocketship, want the refinements that the "rocketships" have. Tired of not being able to find aftermarket components for the ZR7s. Also don't like the blurple of the 2002. I would only consider naked/standard type bike. I feel I dumped the ZR7 due to inexperience in turns ( could have turned sharper) and unforseen sand. I feel my approach to riding has been a mature, thought thru process and I won't push a more powerful bike to it's limits if I have past my own skill limits. I appreciate the concern though.

#93 ·
safty corse

i had 99 r1,super fast. fz1 is rocket ship on less comparing it tor r1.I took the safety course after riding for 30 years.Its a good thing and gives you discount.riding for a year stay away from r1 motors.First gear on fz1 when i hit 60 then the power came on this bike is no joke..Be safe..

G
#6 · (Edited)
Jonathan, there's no such thing as a perfect bike, that's why many of us have more than one. Only you can decide what's right for you. Choosing a bike is like choosing a girlfriend/wife, it's matter of setting your priorities and choosing the one with the fewest flaws given your own personal outlook on things.

Don't be afraid to buy used. I like to sort of hover around always with one toe in the market. When a good deal comes my way, I pounce. Good luck!

#8 ·
Hey Jonathon,

Of all the bikes listed, the one with the closest match (style wise) to the ZR-7 is the Bandit 1200. You'll have all the power you need. The fairings are very similar and the weight balance is very similar to the ZR-7. This will be the bike that I move onto when I out-growest my ZR-7 (or pass it to my sweetheart -wife, that is).

From a mechanical standpoint. The B-12 is NOT liquid cooled, like most of the others. It's SACS cooling system is inventive, to keep the engine temp cooler in more critical areas. Since I don't tear up the twisties and ride at warp-7, air cooling is just fine for me; even in my 105F climate in Sacramento.

On a sidenote....do you still have the MUZZZZZZZZZZZZY exhaust system?? Send me a PM.

#9 ·
Colours?

Is blurple the only colour you guys can get in the states? The kawasaki web site only shows a blurple 2001. If that's so...that sucks. We (Canada) have candy persimmon red and (my) Galaxy silver...which I absolutely love. As far as I know we only have the S model (same with the SV and Bandit here...not really sure why). If you have been riding for only a year and don't go to the track or crazy on twisties, I would also suggest the Bandit or a ZR-7S and certainly not the FZ-1. The VFR which is a bit more than a Bandit is an awesome bike, and you might really like the V-Twin as a change. I would leave the FZ1 for your next-next purchase. Also if you don't really push the bike then you don't need anything faster than a 600 or 750. The ZR-7 only shows what its got at 5-8000RPM, if you're not really pushing it there in turns, having a faster or bigger bike won't do you any good, it will just be tougher in turns, and spills can be even worse. My final vote in order would be ZR-7S (come to Canada and get a good colour), the Bandit (great bang for the buck) and the ZRX if you just wanna go down the highway and get speeding tickets.

Matt Ö¿Ö

#12 ·
Dude if I was you I would look for a 2001 I know there are still some new ones in the showrooms. I thought about a bigger bike so I went and sat on a few ......the FZ-1 would be my choice too. The rex was too wide, 1200s Bandit too cheesy looking and ofcourse the other bikes were ones that contained an "R" in them so I stayed away because I wont pay a enormous insurance payment.
But dude this is what I liked .....a quote from Rocketdog
Choosing a bike is like choosing a girlfriend/wife, it's matter of setting your priorities and choosing the one with the fewest flaws
so true:laugh: ..............so true:laugh:

#13 ·
I found a blue 2001 and 2002 fz-1. The 2001 is about 1hr away, 2002 is in town. What would be a good price for either. 2001 was offered at 8300 out the door. Not sure that is good deal. Dealer with 2002 sounded like he may also be able to do same deal. So what would be a good price.

Jonathan

#14 ·
Don't think now, think later

Get them down as low as you can go....THEN, this is the key part. Look at the 2 prices you have. Let's say the 2001 is $250 less than the 2002...hey great, $250 bucks in your pocket--OR IS IT? Look down the road--> For sale 2001 FZ-1 or 2002? One is, let's say 5-6 model years old the other 4-5. That $250 difference might disappear quickly. This is only an example but basically what I'm saying is, the 2002 is worth a few extra bucks solely for it's extra year, and perhaps a few more for changes they have made, which you might like while riding....I'm not sure what was done, but seeing as the Fazer is a new bike, I'm sure they changed a few things/refined/tinkered etc. SO, if the prices are close, go for the 2002, but either way CONGRATS, you are going to have a blast on a beauty of a bike. When I bought my ZR-7S just last week it was parked beside a FZ-1 and they looked like a couple of mean naked machines-good buddies even. Good luck wheeling and dealing.

Finally to answer the only question you were really asking here..I dunno. Obviously the dealer with a 2001 still on the floor should really be ready to deal, because he won't sell a 3 year old model next year with 2002 and 2003 fazers on his floor. I got $1000 (Can) off MSRP on my bike, and was told by many sources this was about as low as one could go, so $6-700 off MSRP would be great I figure. The 2002 list price is $8499 (U.S.), same as 2002 from my sources. Just to note I saw a 2001 (last year when I was looking) and it was $10 000 Canadian ($6482 U.S.). So if you have any way to check out bikes here, even after duty/taxes etc, you might be saving well over $1000 bucks...Hey it's like free muffler/jet kit etc. If you are truly interested in this, I know my dealer has a new silver one and I could check out a price for you...If this is far too annoying, difficult to bother with, I understand....but being a poor student there's is little I wouldn't do to save some cash.....Maybe I could meet you in Raleigh for a hockey game....I'll break in your 140 hp bike on the way! How's that for a great offer. Go Canes Go

Matt ô¿ô

#20 ·
Oh Tom....poor poor Tom....he's been sniffin that stuff again! So everyone please ignore his color comments because he doesn't know what he's talking about.....the GREEN one is the fastest!! GO CRAZEE!!! That looks nice dude!

tom.....go outside and get some fresh air....take that slower black bike of yours for a short ride so that your head will be clear and you can finally know and see the truth...GREEN RULES :)

#24 ·
Hey Crazee,

This may be a stupid question, but is that a "Photo-Shopped" picture of that ZRX or is it a "round light kit" on it or something? that thing looks absolutely sweet!

Emrah

#26 ·
jrohner said:
I appreciate the comments. Although, by the looks of it I would guess the 2002 RED ZRX is the fastest of the three. That would be my choice of color too. How is the wind protection on the ZRX?

Jonathan
The wind protection seems to be about the same as my ZR7 with the Rifle fairing. I plan on purchasing a taller screen for my ZRX soon. I can't remember the company that makes them. Maybe one of my faster "green" fellow (hooligan) rexers can help out here? Tom :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.