RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

How is your ZRX equipped?

17K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Lorenzob54 
#1 ·
I've had my ZRX1200 now for over 3 years and absolutely love the thing.

As any ZRX owner, I have made a few mods to the bike:

Added mirror extenders. I have wide shoulders and the standard mirrors kept showing me those shoulders.

Moved the horn up under the front fairing. It peeks out from under the fairing, so the sound is not muffled. Just attached it to the mount for the brake manifold.

Added a Zero Gravity Sport-Touring screen.

Added a GPS. It's really nice to know just how face you are going.

Changed the grips to gel grips - really nice.

Did a 'trim job' on the rear of the bike. It looks a lot cleaner now.

Added a Sargent seat. Gotta be careful though. It is so comfortable you wind up riding the bike all day long!

And I did splurge and put an aftermarket exhaust system on it. I chose the Akrapovic. It is quiet most of the time. Just gives a nice throaty burble when idling and most of the time until you go WOT. Then there is not mistaking the fact that it is not stock!

And I added a pair of PIAA driving lights. They make a big difference on the road at night. And during the day folks can really see you.

Planning on more - Ivan's jet kit is sitting on a shelf in the garage - no time at present to do it and the airbox mod.

And I'm thinking of Progressive Suspension spring for the front.

But I'm very happy with the bike. It does everything I ask of it to do.

See less See more
#2 ·
MBD Afflicted said:

And I added a pair of PIAA driving lights. They make a big difference on the road at night. And during the day folks can really see you.

Your setup sounds good. ZRX is IMO the best naked bike Kawi makes second is the ZR7S

If you ever get a chance it would be great to post some pics of the PIAA lights. Just wondering how that is set that up.

Alex

#5 ·
And the final one.

The brackets are nothing fancy, nor to they require any special tools to make.

I made them out of 1/8 by 1 inch aluminum. Bent it at a 90 degree angle and drilled a pair of holes.

As you can see they use the directional mounting screws to hold them in place. Been on for about a year now and no problems.

And they make the road much brighter at night!

#6 ·
My 2001 ZRX has....

Ivans jet kit & airbox mod
Muzzy SS w/titanium can
Muzzy blockoff plates
Ignition advancer
water temp gauge
44-tooth rear sprocket
fork brace
braided steel brake lines
Sargent seat
chopped rear fender
fender extender on front fender
blinker stalks shortened
green gel grips
mirror extenders
brushed-aluminum chain guard
gold anodized rear brake link (on order)

I think that's it.....

I think I might be done modding it.

Heinz

#7 ·
Re: My 2001 ZRX has....

heinzr7 said:
Ivans jet kit & airbox mod
Muzzy SS w/titanium can
Muzzy blockoff plates
Ignition advancer
water temp gauge
44-tooth rear sprocket
fork brace
braided steel brake lines
Sargent seat
chopped rear fender
fender extender on front fender
blinker stalks shortened
green gel grips
mirror extenders
brushed-aluminum chain guard
gold anodized rear brake link (on order)

I think that's it.....

I think I might be done modding it.

Heinz
Heinz,

What part of Florida? It is a pretty BIG state.

I'm in the central part, about 35 miles northwest of Orlando.

How about yourself?

#10 ·
Mine is for sale now, but here is how it is equipped:

Full Muzzy stainless system with alum can, Dyno Jet kit, K&N filter and Ted's ignition advancer, 44 tooth rear sprocket (in garage),

Sargent seat, frame sliders (by Champ), mirror extenders, chromed bar ends courtesy of Edward ZRX,

aftermarket pegs (Rupeman), Ted's radiator strap,

ZR-7 round headlight and National Cycle F16 windscreen, Black tank decals, BT012SS tires, and a couple of other things I can't seem to remember right now.

If you know someone looking for an '01 ZRX, I'm asking $4,500 for mine. Tom

#12 ·
Re: Great info!

gearhead said:
Thanks for all the great info on mods for the ZRX. Only had mine for 2 weeks, but planning a few mods already. A pipe being #1 on my list. I'm thinking BOS, ART, or Akrapovic slip on.
Greg:D :D
Greg, get a full system for that ZRX...seriously that stock header is a fuggin' boat anchor. Akrapovic is a little on the pricey side, but a full system and jet kit makes a world of difference on a ZRX... trust me on this....I wasted $ on 3 different slip ons before getting the full Muzzy system. It makes a world of difference in performance....the slip on just changes the sound ot the Rex. Save Up!! and go full system... you will gain more power and lose about 25-30 pounds of unwanted weight... and oil changes are much, much easier with that stock header crap out of your way.
Any questions about what I'm talking about re the oil change issue, PM me and I'll explain the difference. :cool:

#13 · (Edited)
Let's see:
- Corbin GF/L saddle
- Tank Slapper tank protector
- Many stainless steel cap screws
- Shortened turn signal stalks
- Superbike bars
- ProGrip 714 gel grips
- CRG Hindsight bar end mirrors
- Relocated horn under fairing
- Removed radiator shouds
- Ivan's AIR block off plates
- Ivan's stage 2 jet kit
- Muzzy stainless/carbon fiber exhaust
- OEM track pegs
- Ted's ignition advancer
- Ted's fender eliminator
- Aluminum logo chainguard
- Champ's frame sliders

On tap for next month:
- Galfer stainless braided brake lines
- EBC HH brake pads
- ZR7 round 7" headlight

#15 ·
I think the Blue ZRX's came the the silver rims. The Blue is my favorite ZRX.

A friend of mine had a black 01 like Toms. He had his rims chromed. Man did that look good. But I bet it added alot of unsprung weight. He wasn't much into burning corners, he liked wheelies and straight line speed, so I guess the weight was not a real issue for him.

#17 ·
JonF said:
I think the Blue ZRX's came the the silver rims. The Blue is my favorite ZRX.

A friend of mine had a black 01 like Toms. He had his rims chromed. Man did that look good. But I bet it added alot of unsprung weight. He wasn't much into burning corners, he liked wheelies and straight line speed, so I guess the weight was not a real issue for him.
I know a few folks have stripped that nasty black paint off the rims of some ZRX's. I did an exhaust system one day just to see if it indeed was stainless steel on my '02 stock system. While it looked much better (maybe that's why the '04's and 05's have the shiny pipes) it still was a boat anchor.

The stripper I used was airplane stripper I got from an auto paint shop. If you use this stuff, please read the directions. It will also remove skin from your body parts! It is wise to wear protective clothing.

#18 ·
There are a few ZR-7's here with stripped rims. You have to keep them protected with something to keep them from oxidizing too.
But they do look good.

#19 ·
I would imagine that just a bit of aluminum wheel polish would suit that need.

Might be interesting to give it a try.

I've seen some gold anodized wheels that would look really good, but if I can get polished aluminum for a couple of $$$'s, then I'll do that.

#20 ·
ART S/S rad cover
Powerbronze airflow screen
ignition advancer
fender extender
Oxford heated gips
upside down eccentrics
Kleen and tank stickers removed and ZRXOC ones put on
Horn moved
Stainless chain guard
Reduced rear mudguard
44 tooth Hard alloy Renthal rear sprocket (Bronze)
little ben clock
ZRX 1200 sidepanel badges
stainless steel bar ends
Polished heel plates, grab handles & radiator shrouds
Stripped & laquered fork legs & radiator ends.
Clock faces re-done green on white with ZRX logo
Octopus removed
Full Akrapovic e marked system with removeable baffle.

#22 ·
Phoenix,

Very cool bike! Another example of a product available that is not brought stateside.

I think the ZRX1200S would sell a lot here. Direct competition to the FZ-1.

#24 ·
To be quite honest, when I first saw the bike, I thought to myself that it was a ZR-7S and that you had not read the title of the post.

But once I took a few moments to look, I then realized what I was looking at.

Could be quite interesting to remove a few badges and let others also think it was a ZR-7S in blue!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.