RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

What to buy

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Oldbutslow 
#1 ·
I was looking at a new yellow '03 ZR7S w/ 0 miles @ $5500, but I also am considering the following: green '02 ZRX w/ 2950 miles @ $5400, blue '03 ZRX w/ 4300 miles @ $6300, green new '03 ZRX w/ 0 miles @ $7300, black '02 FZ1 w/ 1040 miles @ $5200 (on ebay, seller just emailed me a price he'd take 'cause he got no bidders), silver new '02 FZ1 w/ 0 miles @ $7500. The used bikes are all in immaculate like new condition; the 0 miles new bikes are never sold leftovers, full warranties. I'm a 5'6", 185 lb, short but strong 49 yr old. The Yamahas are nice, light, similar to my turbo car w/ gentle low rpms but a monster in the uppers, but a bit too tall & generally expensive. I also don't want to go to another state to pick up a bike(ebay deal) All the others are w/in 50 miles of the house. I'm not into yellow either (ZR7S). I'm leaning towards the 2 used Kaw Z-Rexs, especially the blue one; I'd have money left for "accessories". I'd be riding w/ several 40-50 yr old co-workers on mid-size cruisers and another group of old college buds w/ a variety of bikes; generally day trips on the 2 lane state highways that wind around the mountain lakes here in Ark. It almost seems like I've made a decision and just need to pick one.

What do you all think about the "low miles" Z-Rexs? Prices seem fair? Any risks? Any opinions welcome !

#3 ·
I have seen so many of them , it's rediculous. $5998, $6500, & $7299 are 3 price I've seen. They are all '03s, tall, uncomfortable, orange, and "too naked" for me. The one for $7299 is right next to the green new '03 ZRX w/ 0 miles @ $7300. No comparison there in my opinion.
My shortness dictatesa seat height of no more than 31.5"

Here's a good website of reviews that I've been using for my research:
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list.asp

#5 ·
tycosales said:
My shortness dictatesa seat height of no more than 31.5"

Here's a good website of reviews that I've been using for my research:
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list.asp
At 5'8", the ZRX suits me perfectly, with or without the Corbin seat. PM me with your email addy and I'll be more than happy to tell you more about the ZRX1200R.... :mwink:

Oh and by the way, I just turned 48 years old (young) on June 10th. :dance:

#6 ·
The green '02 ZRX w/ 2950 miles @ $5400 was bought Wed buy a guy that had been calling the dealer almost every day to see if it was still there. So now, IF I do something soon, the new yellow '03 ZR7S w/ 0 miles @ $5500, new green '03 ZRX w/ 0 miles @ $7300, blue '03 ZRX w/ 4300 miles @ $6300 are the options.

#7 ·
I'd try and get them to come down on the green '03. The blue one sounds fine to me also, and 4,300 isn't a lot of miles, if it looks clean and well taken care of. I guess you have to decide if it's worth $1,000 to have a warranty.

Seat height isn't a problem for me. I'm 5'11" with a 34" inseam. :D A Corbin is a bit lower than the stock seat (although it's somewhat wider).

I consider my ZRX to be a "sport cruiser", with a heavy emphasis on the sport. With loads of torque and horsepower from 3K on, I don't think I could ever be happy with a high revving small displacement bike again, although I'm thinking of a SV650 as a second bike for my wife (if she ever gets around to learning to ride).

#8 ·
Well, I called the Kawasaki dealer back and they sold the yellow ZR7S the day before. The Green Z-Rex was sold too. I had to sell a car to make a deal. I went to look again at the Blue Z-Rex, was visiting w/ the service mngr at the dealer and asked him what the former owner of the zrex was riding, he showed me/ it was in the shop for maintenance. Honda Magna. I went and did my research and bought a local 02 w/ under 2K miles for $5100. Cruiser style & comfort, liquid cooled V-4, 4 carbs/ 4 exh pipes, 145mph speedo, sports cruiser, a real sleeper among the V-twin cruisers.
ALSO, the insurance with all options at higher coverages than I had looked at was less ($267.00)

Thanks for all the info. I'll check in on you all ocassionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.