RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Full Muzzy exhaust on my ZRX...

21K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom Bozeman 
#1 ·
Installed this weekend and rode it today for about an hour. First impressions:

1. Slip on exhaust cans are a waste of $$$, trust me on this, I've had 3.... one Muzzy, one Yoshimura RS-3 in ti, and one in Stainless. Excuse me, I forgot about that sorry *** D&D can that I put on the ZRX right after I bought it. POS it was.

2. The full system drops about 20-25 pounds off the weight of the bike.... and that's a conserative estimate...

3. The performance gain is, well friggin' awesome... give me more time with it and I can put into words, as for now, I can't, but I was impressed with the "Butt Dyno" feel of it.... it just flat rocks. The down shifting "gurgle" or however you describe that sound was much reduced and I have not removed the emissions crap on my ZRX. I don't do wheelies, but now I can if I want to.

4. My headers turned a very pretty gold tone after an hour of riding...much prettier than than that ugly black header I had before....

5. $514 or so for the system and riding with it ...... worth the $$. More to follow... :D

See less See more
#3 ·
So Tom, did you rejet yet?

I spent four hours putting one of Ted383's fender eliminators on today. Looks good.

I have Ivan's AIR (air injection removal) kit on my workbench now. I will put it on tomorrow, if I have time. I set my idle mixture screws out 2.5 turns and that removed most of the popping; the AIR should eliminate the rest of it.

Let's see some pictures! :headbang:

#5 ·
Berto said:
Sounds great Tom, how do you like the Muzzy sound? Loud enough? Good price for a full system.

Personally, I'm just glad you got it out of the driveway for an hour. :laugh:
Sounds good, but so did the Yoshimura that I took off, but the performance difference is awesome. As for the hour or so out on the bike...I wanted to recheck my work since I had taken off the radiator and refilled, etc. Just wanted to be sure everything was OK.... I'll try to ride more...but it get's a little boring riding by myself...I need to ride and chase someone down on the ZRX or lead and see who can keep up... :headbang: But that's another story... :blah:

#6 ·
redryan said:
So Tom, did you rejet yet?

I spent four hours putting one of Ted383's fender eliminators on today. Looks good.

I have Ivan's AIR (air injection removal) kit on my workbench now. I will put it on tomorrow, if I have time. I set my idle mixture screws out 2.5 turns and that removed most of the popping; the AIR should eliminate the rest of it.

Let's see some pictures! :headbang:
I did rejet with a stage 1 DynoJet kit...before I bought the system (kinda stupid, I know)...I'll just have to tweak the adjustments as needed. Here's a pic of the "slightly golden" headers...

#8 ·
:notworthy Sweet:notworthy

Although the ZRX is not my favorite ....I think yours is right on as not to have too much bling. ......plain and stelthy looking. BTW did your old system have a exhaust valve in the collector? I won't mention what bike it is :glassesti .........but some bikes have a exhaust valve in the collector to monitor back pressure to give the maximum power. Now you'll have to drop a gear to pick the low grunt back up........I'm just guessing there. .....my $.02 worth of :BS:

#10 ·
I dont recall ever hearing about a "backpressure" or "exhaust flow valve" in the exhaust on the ZRX. I know some Yamahas and I think some other bikes had them. The engine in the ZRX is just a torque monster.

#11 ·
fade said:
What does that "M"on your farring stand for? .......Muther?:killingme ........"Mine"?.......:killingme "Mad":killingme
Its an AMA sticker. :smokin: :glassesti

#13 ·
JonF said:
I dont recall ever hearing about a "backpressure" or "exhaust flow valve" in the exhaust on the ZRX. I know some Yamahas and I think some other bikes had them. The engine in the ZRX is just a torque monster.
You're correct Jon... the stock header is just heavy and somewhat restricted (and butt ugly) but no valves that I know of. I haven't lost any torque but have gained some HP (like I really needed it)... but I sacrificed a good seat to get it...anybody have any comments on "Sargent" saddles? Having had the Corbin, I'd like to try the Sargent next.

#15 ·
fade said:
:notworthy Sweet:notworthy

Although the ZRX is not my favorite ....I think yours is right on as not to have too much bling. ......plain and stelthy looking. BTW did your old system have a exhaust valve in the collector? I won't mention what bike it is :glassesti .........but some bikes have a exhaust valve in the collector to monitor back pressure to give the maximum power. Now you'll have to drop a gear to pick the low grunt back up........I'm just guessing there. .....my $.02 worth of :BS:
Drop a gear on the ZRX? No sir, no way....the roll on power of the ZRX just got better my friend. Funny thing is, now that I have the full Muzzy, I'm looking for that 6th gear more than before... :headbang:

#18 ·
JonF said:
Maybe it was a Suzuki... :huh: I cant remember.

#20 ·
Close enough..........and they got one too:D
Jet kit will be here for the weekend:dance: ......I think it's a 4 hr job ....so that means all day. I just hope I get a day off this weekend.........the last week was 6 days and this week is looking like $hit too. I guess everybody at work was ready for a vaca when I got back.:cool:

#22 · (Edited)
Tom Bozeman said:
Mike, do you have some pics of Ted's fender eliminator? I have a used comp werkes that I've decided not to install and interested in Ted's kit. Ted makes some great stuff. Post some pics if you have some...close ups might help me out. Tom
I'll take some when I get home from work today. Stay tuned.

BTW...my best friend's FZ1 has the EXUP thingy (just like the R1). The ZRX pipe has a catalytic converter in there somewhere IIRC. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.