RiderForums.com - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum banner

Ninja 1000 wins Middleweight Sport-Touring Shootout

8K views 87 replies 18 participants last post by  rcannon409 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I test drove the Capo before I picked up my Ninja and didn't like it at all. I'm just under 6' and a bit over 200 and even I thought it was BIG! Even with the ADD set on auto the bike wallowed like an ocean liner. It was probably one of the worse bikes I've been on for turbulence, and the fairing seemed to send all the engine heat right up into your crotch. I love test riding bikes of all sizes and it's rare I don't enjoy just about anything I take out, but I couldn't wait to get the Capo back to the dealership. I'm very fond of Ducati's but I find the Multistrada a very tall bike (are those people down there?) and I couldn't see dropping over 20 large on one. I ended up getting a 2011 Ninja 1000 that was almost new (less than 700 miles) for way less than half what the Capo would have been. For me it was a great, and easy, decision...

#3 ·
Interesting article. Add in Ivans mods and the Ninja will simply crush the other two in acceleration.

Bang for the buck it is hard to beat the Ninja 1000.

#5 ·
Very true facts. :)

#4 ·
The test is ok, but the Ninja does not really fit in the category. If ti were the old Cycle or Cycle World, 20 years ago, they'd have gone to Canada and found a Versys 1000. Its priced the same as the Ninja 1000 so it would have been less money than the other two.

The fz1 had a spot here, too. Its $10,700 and would have beaten the Aprilia.

#8 ·
I put about 170 miles on a Multistrada one day. I was very impressed with the suspension - the best suspension I have ever ridden. But the Adventure styling and ride height were serious deal killers. That and I'm not interested in spending another $7000 or so over a Ninja. But even at the same price I'd pick the Ninja.

#9 ·
This does seem like a strange match up but interestingly enough, these are the three bikes I would compare when buying a sport touring bike. Also the Triumph Tiger if it got a redesign.

#11 ·
I would put the KTM 1190 Adventure & the new GS also in the list then.

#10 ·
I test rode a Multistrada and have thrown a leg over many of the adventure bikes. I didn't spend enough time to really get comfortable or evaluate it but I have to say that at every stop, not being able to get both toes down on the pavement was very disconcerting. Even after 45 years of guiding bikes down the road. As if that wasn't enough, the fact the MS cost 2x what I paid for my 2011 Ninja kinda sealed the deal.

#12 ·
I too considered the Multistrada. It would have been a little more comfy for the wife on back. Ive owned Ducati's before and I love the engines. I couldn't get over these things:
Adventure touring look,
Maintenance/ parts cost
Sticker price.

I wish they would smooth out the ninjas engine with some different mounts and improve the seat. Then Id be completely happy with it. Im working on the aftermarket seat... Does Ivans tune help with the upper rpm vibration? On a curvy road my hands start to go numb.

#13 ·
Two things about Ninja vibes: I added grip heaters so I put on gel grips. It helped. I now have 16k miles and I'm not noticing the vibes nearly as much. I don't know if the bike is smoothing out or I'm tolerating it a lot better but I'm finding it doesn't bother me any more.

#14 ·
I too have ridden a Multistrada. I was not that impressed.

#15 ·
Thi sshoudl have been in there too..just to class up the bunch.

Of course, it does not belong, but neither did the Ninja. Plus, it would have given the testers something nice to look at while riding the Aprilia. Saw and rode it yesterday. Its not all that great to ride, but who cares when it looks like it does? Plus, in this photo it is parked next to eh Aprilia Adnois, or whatever its called.

I was not the only one with the reaction. People were walking by the 30k version of the Ducati Panigale to look at it.

Attachments

#16 ·
With the Rivale they fixed the fueling issues, donno if the correct maps are already on the Brutale.

#21 ·
i think adventure touring is awsome and I respect those who do it seriously, but I think its one of those things that people like the Idea of. They don't actually have the skills to do it properly. They picture themselves going through mexico on a dirt track after watching "long way around" but then in reality they end up on the 405 without much wind protection, underpowered, and wanting a ninja. :) Just my 2 cents.

#23 ·
I'll never consider an adventure bike..offroad, anyway. We learned from the days when they sold 125, 175 an d250 "enduro" bikes that dual purpose tires suck, as does anything that weighs over about 250 lbs.

As far as Mexico, it looks like a lot of peopel who live there dont want to, so why do I want to spend a vacation there? Especially dealing with a600 pound bike, offroad, with goofy , metal bags. Or, a KLR 650. When they introduced its offroad version, the KLX 650, Hondas bike kicked its fat butt all over the place. Kawasaki put lights on it and now its good?

#24 ·
Hey man, in all seriousness the KLR650 is a GREAT bike. In the top 100 for sure. It can do nearly everything, and it's bullet proof.

The ADV bikes look super cool, and when I see them I really want one. But then I think to myself do I really want to be off road with over 100 HP, semi working tires, and a bike that is 15K? That does not sound like a recipe for my personal happiness.

If i was rich though, I would have one.....lol Not sure why, but I am in love with the Triumph. It looks comfy and fun.

#27 ·
The ADV bikes look super cool, and when I see them I really want one. But then I think to myself do I really want to be off road with over 100 HP, semi working tires, and a bike that is 15K? That does not sound like a recipe for my personal happiness.

If i was rich though, I would have one.....lol Not sure why, but I am in love with the Triumph. It looks comfy and fun.
They do look super cool, and in the right circumstances they would be super fun. Like you said, if you were rich and could do an around the world trip with support team. haha. or Id I lived in a country with worse roads, then id consider it. Its something that If I was going to do, I would need to devote a serious amount of time and money to the right setup and trips. Maybe in 30 years when Im retired. .

#25 ·
Oh, do everything and bulletproof..so is Rosie O'Donell. She CAN act, right? And is probably a full functional female, with all the parts...probably the man parts, too, but thats not the point.

We forget how beautiful Jaclyn Smith was, yet give Betty White credit just because she stuck aroudn as long as the KLR.

Reactions: Face
#26 ·
You can realistically hop on a bone stock KLR and take a trip around the world. A great old fashioned motorcycle.

I cannot stand ROD, and Betty White is just an old lady with a potty mouth.

#29 ·
I have thought many times about the perfect motorcycle. For me, it would take 5 bikes
to satisfy all my moto-needs. In no particular order and in a perfect world, my garage would have:
BMW K1600 GTL
Kawasaki KX450F
Ducati Superleggera
Harley Davidson Wide Glide
Yamaha FZ 09

#30 ·
Ok, heres my other argument against a KLR. I'll post a link. Honda xr 650r.....Not the "L". Never street legal, and thats what killed it. 300 lbs of desert monster. Aluminum frame, HRC engine kits available. Heres a nice one.....

Honda XR650R - Supermotard. Part Two

It did everything a KLR did, only better. Its no problem....someone out there things Rosie O is good, too.

#31 ·
Ok, heres my other argument against a KLR. I'll post a link. Honda xr 650r.....Not the "L". Never street legal, and thats what killed it. 300 lbs of desert monster. Aluminum frame, HRC engine kits available. Heres a nice one.....

Honda XR650R - Supermotard. Part TwoAnd the KTM 690 Enduro does everything that Honda does only better!

It did everything a KLR did, only better. Its no problem....someone out there things Rosie O is good, too.
And the KTM 690 Enduro does it even better than that...street legal..straight from the factory.

#36 ·
And sorry for the offtopic ...

But his fireblad is also a unique piece ... doubling the value due to mods.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motocross

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car

PS: not one sticker on it ... all painted ! (except the 2fast4u sticker on his window)

#38 ·
It's not an issue ... it's a feature (you can't turn off).
They burn oil 5 times faster then another bike.

I have around 200 KTM's on the 2fast4u forum, they all have it, even the RC8.

#39 ·
I have MANY friends with KTMs as well and they are still far off the mark of Japanese reliability. Almost every single one of the KTM owners I know has had an issue with theirs. I'm glad HilbillyKat has seen some reliable ones because if they all had the same issues, KTM wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they are.

#44 ·
The Miley Cyrus thing....I'm with you on this, but you would not believe how many do like her. If your around people and bring her name up, you'll get positive remarks from half, maybe more. Maybe its a cultural thing? Not just kids, either...grown ups. Honest..no lie.

I'd buy a KTM, but I dont like the looks, or their style. Cost is right up there with other brands and in that price range, I have to like looking at it.

#45 · (Edited)
I'm also not so fund of their styling, compared to other brands.
But they bring out the best hooligan in you, or most hooligans ride a KTM

Ok we have a lot more KTM riders then you do ... but on most rides I do with more riders ... 70% or more of the wheelies & stoppies is done by the KTM crew.
and 100 % of the special wheelies is done by the KTM's ... (wheelie out of a corner etc ...)

It might be specific to the people I ride with though. (One is a biker cop with a 1190 Adventure & he counts for 50% of al KTMl wheelies & stoppies, and 100% of "cutting of the hairpins by going straight through the bushes offroad" :D)

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Vehicle Helmet Road

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.